Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
I guess relationships come and go and this one ended, at least from my side. Or so I believe.

I have been friends with this guy for about 10 years. A couple days ago and after intense negotiations, I was offered a very coveted position that pays extremely well (17% more than I do now). I am happy about it.

I told him and something in him changed .... he sent me a few mean emails , kind of covert but mean nonetheless.

1st email (before I got the position): "Do not get your hopes too high, you will never get it".
2nd email (when I got the position but was negotiating salary): " You will not get the money"
3rd email (When I got the money): "I am surprised"

No

"you go girl, well done" or I am happy for you or nothing, I cannot believe it. I love him deeply and cannot believe what he said to me.

He also told me not to buy a brand new house; which I will do soon anyway, with this income I can afford it.

Sorry for the rant, just incredibly sad.
If you've known him for ten years why don't you call him on it and say something like,"I can't believe you are acting this way. Aren't you happy for me? Are you jealous or what? What is going on?" See what he says.

Either that or just ignore it and chock it up to temporary jealousy. If that is the worst thing he's said in 10 years, it isn't worth taking to heart and losing a friend over.

I have a long time relationship with someone I used to date, then he dated someone for a few years and then when that ended I just suggested we keep it simple and leave the physical aspect out of it and we've been great friends ever since . He's been through a lot and sometimes when we spend a lot of time continuously together he pulls the old passive aggressive routine on me ie he'll give uninvited advise and then be mad if I don't love it or I won't take it . Then he launches into he "never should have come to visit" or something unbelievable comes out of his mouth. He'll try to twist everything around. I have learned to just ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,370,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If you've known him for ten years why don't you call him on it and say something like,"I can't believe you are acting this way. Aren't you happy for me? Are you jealous or what? What is going on?" See what he says.

Either that or just ignore it and chock it up to temporary jealousy. If that is the worst thing he's said in 10 years, it isn't worth taking to heart and losing a friend over.

I have a long time relationship with someone I used to date, then he dated someone for a few years and then when that ended I just suggested we keep it simple and leave the physical aspect out of it and we've been great friends ever since . He's been through a lot and sometimes when we spend a lot of time continuously together he pulls the old passive aggressive routine on me ie he'll give uninvited advise and then be mad if I don't love it or I won't take it . Then he launches into he "never should have come to visit" or something unbelievable comes out of his mouth. He'll try to twist everything around. I have learned to just ignore it.
What really bothers me is, honestly, the negativity. It is a huge achievement imo and the fact that i have given him so much info about my life and trusted him with my secrets , obviusly because I think highly of him, and he cannot come and say "I am happy for you"?

I feel these are his true colors.

Last week i sent him a couple of emails saying that i thought he would be happier. However, i am very intuitive and can smell jealousy a mile and I believe you fill your life with the things that are more convinient to you.

I choose positivity over negativity any day. I do not plan to cut him off, just contact him less, or at all until he gets the hint. No need for drama.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Sounds like he still has feelings for you. That's where my $5 goes.
He is married and allegedly (no judgement) is seeing someone else on the side. (That is really none of my business, but just to say he has women in his life).

Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Congratulations on your success!! That is fantastic! You don't need friends who aren't happy for you when something good happens. He sounds like a jerk and I know you said you weren't being judgmental, but I don't really like cheaters. I think you're better off without him in your life. He doesn't sound like a good friend.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
sounds like a control freak who liked you only when you weren't nearly so successful. "Sayonara, sweetie!" is what I'd say!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
He is married and allegedly (no judgement) is seeing someone else on the side. (That is really none of my business, but just to say he has women in his life).
Well, if he's married and still seeing someone on the side, that shows you how seriously it matters to him whether or not there are women in his life...

Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well, if he's married and still seeing someone on the side, that shows you how seriously it matters to him whether or not there are women in his life...
To be honest, his infidelity has nothing to do with our friendship. That is his business. We dont have a romantic relationship so i do not care about that.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
sounds like a control freak who liked you only when you weren't nearly so successful. "Sayonara, sweetie!" is what I'd say!
Yeah, this. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
And he is passing judgment on you. I would have trouble being friends w/ someone who was doing what you say he is doing. I could never maintain a friendship w/ someone I had no respect for...And I would have no respect for what he is doing, or him for doing it.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
And he is passing judgment on you. I would have trouble being friends w/ someone who was doing what you say he is doing. I could never maintain a friendship w/ someone I had no respect for...And I would have no respect for what he is doing, or him for doing it.
I don't know the extent of that relationship or if it is real or not. I cant pass judgement on something i do not know really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships