Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 03:43 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,370,948 times

Advertisements

I guess relationships come and go and this one ended, at least from my side. Or so I believe.

I have been friends with this guy for about 10 years. A couple days ago and after intense negotiations, I was offered a very coveted position that pays extremely well (17% more than I do now). I am happy about it.

I told him and something in him changed .... he sent me a few mean emails , kind of covert but mean nonetheless.

1st email (before I got the position): "Do not get your hopes too high, you will never get it".
2nd email (when I got the position but was negotiating salary): " You will not get the money"
3rd email (When I got the money): "I am surprised"

No

"you go girl, well done" or I am happy for you or nothing, I cannot believe it. I love him deeply and cannot believe what he said to me.

He also told me not to buy a brand new house; which I will do soon anyway, with this income I can afford it.

Sorry for the rant, just incredibly sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 04:18 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
I guess relationships come and go and this one ended, at least from my side. Or so I believe.

I have been friends with this guy for about 10 years. A couple days ago and after intense negotiations, I was offered a very coveted position that pays extremely well (17% more than I do now). I am happy about it.

I told him and something in him changed .... he sent me a few mean emails , kind of covert but mean nonetheless.

1st email (before I got the position): "Do not get your hopes too high, you will never get it".
2nd email (when I got the position but was negotiating salary): " You will not get the money"

No

"you go girl, well done" or I am happy for you or nothing, I cannot believe it. I love him deeply and cannot believe what he said to me.

He also told me not to buy a brand new house; which I will do soon anyway, with this income I can afford it.

What is his current situation regarding job/career? Is he having a difficult time in some way with that? If so, This might be the cause? Did you go on too much about the money perhaps?

There has got to be some sort of motive here. Have you ever had an exchange similar to this even on a different subject? Also, Do you have a history with him that is more then friends? Something must be familiar in regards to the recent strife. There is no mention either that you both have stopped being close. I would be surprised if this actually ended a 10 year friendship if it was solid. Hope things come around in a positive outcome for you.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
What is his current situation regarding job/career? Is he having a difficult time in some way with that? If so, This might be the cause? Did you go on too much about the money perhaps?

There has got to be some sort of motive here. Have you ever had an exchange similar to this even on a different subject? Also, Do you have a history with him that is more then friends? Something must be familiar in regards to the recent strife. There is no mention either that you both have stopped being close. I would be surprised if this actually ended a 10 year friendship if it was solid. Hope things come around in a positive outcome for you.
he has a great income, he owns a house with 5 bedrooms, a swimming pool, drives a brand new car so it is not about the money.

He had a very brief relationship when we met, but it ended. I believed we were very close but after this, I am not very willing to talk to him anymore about my life. Not after all those mean emails. He has always been so nice to me and I do not like negativity in my life.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:

No

Sorry. It sounds as though he is jealous/envious of you. Hard to find out people fee this way. I had a similar experience years ago. And, it sort of forever changes your trust level w/ that person.
On the other hand. Congrats!!! You go girl!!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sorry. It sounds as though he is jealous/envious of you. Hard to find out people fee this way. I had a similar experience years ago. And, it sort of forever changes your trust level w/ that person.
On the other hand. Congrats!!! You go girl!!
Thanks!!!

Sad and happy and excited at the same time

Old 11-17-2012, 04:57 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Something about your promotion seems to threaten your friend. Perhaps he feels this will change the dynamics of your friendship - has he been a sort of mentor to you in the past? He may not be comfortable with what he perceives as your increased independence and less reliance on him. In any case, it's about him, not you!

Congratulations on your new position. I am sorry your friend is acting this way - his loss, certainly.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Something about your promotion seems to threaten your friend. Perhaps he feels this will change the dynamics of your friendship - has he been a sort of mentor to you in the past? He may not be comfortable with what he perceives as your increased independence and less reliance on him. In any case, it's about him, not you!

Congratulations on your new position. I am sorry your friend is acting this way - his loss, certainly.
The thing is he worked for the organization I am joining but as a contractor (so will I though) and yes He was a mentor.

He told me people with more experience are making less money... but that is certainly not my fault.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Perhaps he doesn't want you to excell and doesn't want you to be as successful as he is. I would let him know that you are hurt by his emails and his attitude and see what he says to that. He will either change his attitude or not, and then you may choose to end that friendship.

Congrats on the promotion!

Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Perhaps he doesn't want you to excell and doesn't want you to be as successful as he is. I would let him know that you are hurt by his emails and his attitude and see what he says to that. He will either change his attitude or not, and then you may choose to end that friendship.

Congrats on the promotion!
thanks broken crayola (luv the nick). I am thinking on saying something maybe in the future but not tonite.Tonite I just want to relax.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:

No

If you have a 'relationship', then you would just ask him why he can't be happy for you. You woud tell him how his comments hurt your feelings. I would expect you to know more than you do, and make an attempt to salvage what you are suggesting is something special between the two of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships