Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post
Here's my situation.

A few family members are giving me a hard time about not having a very big social life. I'm 29 and don't really have many friends. I spend a lot of time with my mother and we do almost everything together. I'm a full-time student while working 32 hours a week. These family members constantly give me a hard time about not going out on Friday nights or the fact that I don't have a boyfriend. They say I should be hanging out more with people my age instead of my mother.

Thy act as if I don't have any friends. I have a few close friends whom I don't see very often since I am highly committed to school.

This really bothers me. I've always been the type to be content with one or two close friends. I tell them how much it upsets me but they just laugh and say I'm going to be alone forever if I don't change my attitude. They are really pushing me to meet somebody since I'm almost 30.

Right now my education is my top priority. Is there something wrong with me because I don't see a social life as a bigger priority than school? They're acting as if I never leave my house or see other people besides my mother!

I don't know what to do or how to tell them to back off. Any advice is appreciated!
You know, if you were in high school, this may be an issue, because you know how it was, the popular kids always had the biggest circle of friends and if you didn't have a lot of friends or no social life, you were a loser, etc, etc. But for God's sake, you're 29 and I doubt most people your age are looking at you, snickering at your lack of social life and friends. At this point in their lives, I'm sure they have more important things to worry about, like you know, marriage, raising a family, going to school, establishing careers, etc. Maybe your family members should get a clue. Also, once you graduate from high school/college, generally your circle of friends shrinks to just a few good friends. People marry, have kids, move away, whatever and naturally, your circle of friends shrinks as the years move on. That's life. I guarantee if you asked a bunch of 29 year-olds if they had more friends now than in high school/college, the majority would say no. When you're older, making friends is not as much as a priority as it is when you're in high school and college. Ask any young married couple with small kids how many friends they have and most will probably laugh at you and say, friends? What are those? We don't have time for friends! Finally, you're a grown woman, if you want to have no friends or 1000 friends, party all night or hide in a corner all day, who friggin cares?? It's your life. You can live it the way you want it. Why are they so concerned about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 AM

505 posts, read 940,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am struck by the fact you are an "English Major" and have "very little friends." I guess this means your friends tend to be very petite - very small . . .midgets, "little people," or dwarves, correct?
I only clicked on this thread because I wanted to say this, but I was way too late. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Here's my situation.

A few family members are giving me a hard time about not having a very big social life. I'm 29 and don't really have many friends. I spend a lot of time with my mother and we do almost everything together. I'm a full-time student while working 32 hours a week. These family members constantly give me a hard time about not going out on Friday nights or the fact that I don't have a boyfriend. They say I should be hanging out more with people my age instead of my mother.

Thy act as if I don't have any friends. I have a few close friends whom I don't see very often since I am highly committed to school.

This really bothers me. I've always been the type to be content with one or two close friends. I tell them how much it upsets me but they just laugh and say I'm going to be alone forever if I don't change my attitude. They are really pushing me to meet somebody since I'm almost 30.

Right now my education is my top priority. Is there something wrong with me because I don't see a social life as a bigger priority than school? They're acting as if I never leave my house or see other people besides my mother!

I don't know what to do or how to tell them to back off. Any advice is appreciated!
IMO folks here are right, it's your life and live it the way you want. That said, you're also now a young woman and need to get out of the comfort level of the "nest". And to become a reasonably mature and well-rounded adult, learning to deal with other folks, and other genders, and other types of relationships, should also be an important part of your "education". So your relatives may not be very tactful at telling you this, but you still might give it some serious thought and see about expanding your "comfort levels" and emotional development just a bit too!

BTW, turn it around, and if you ever start dating, how would you feel about having a relationship with immature "late bloomer" guys, whose closest friend is "Mom"?

Last edited by mateo45; 11-19-2012 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Here's my situation.

I'll be honest..I have my wife and friends, but my mother IS my best friend. Not too many people can say that. Keep doing what you are, and things will fall into place.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I have to agree with everyone. It's just the way you are wired and we should all be accepted and respected for being born that way. I married an introvert and he went so far as to say "Why can't it just be you and me". He wanted me to give up my friends and pets and be what? An introvert too? Well fast forward 27 years and he's been constantly bombarded by people of all races, ages, and sexual orientation. He's also had to deal with pets conventional and not running through our house. He's not an introvert any more and sometimes I don't recognize him. If you are comfortable in your solitude then please don't marry someone like me. It could ruin your life. Oh and could I borrow your mother? She sounds wonderful and I never had that growing up. You're very fortunate and there's nothing wrong with her being your best friend.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Folks that seem to have many friends......

....really don't.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM

24 posts, read 41,802 times
EM1983, you sound very much like myself. I mainly go places with my mother. I don't have many friends (too many bad experiences).

My family does the same as yours does.

When you don't fit within their idea of "normal", then expect to be treated in an unpleasing way. Some people don't respect uniqueness. If you're not like everyone else, then there's something wrong with you.

Last edited by HiStars; 11-19-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Nope there's nothing wrong with you, just them. They're nosy. You said it yourself; your education is your first priority, so hit those books and don't try to be someone you're not.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Tell them to "fudge off"-hahaha
You work basically full time and go to school full time what do they expect? You are probably too tired to "fudge."

Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times
Quote:
Here's my situation.

like mayita said, i am the same way too. i am an engineering student and working my azz off. and i want to take care of my mother and move her out here once i get my degree.
screw anyone who doesn't understand. when you have your education and are doing well then you can embark on a social life. people will still be there when you decide to come out. don't let it bother you and don't let anyone get in the way of your goals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships