U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:46 PM

4,248 posts, read 8,114,255 times

Advertisements

Ohhhhh I know about the affliction for American Pickers, Hardcore Pawn and the like ! My hubby is a bit younger, and though we have elementary school kids, I guess the interests are the same in these old buggers.

I think a lot what touches men born in the 1940s, is nostalgia. I absolutely know that my hubby would looove to lay his hands on all those trinkets from good old times, like thing in the American Pickers. So I would suggest to pull his nostalgic string and get him something he remembers from his childhood/adolescence. A toy truck or police car circa 1950-1957. An Air pump from an old gas station - it's smaller than an actual gas pump ,though who knows, if you could lug the actual 1960s gas pump, might as well! Coca-Cola or 7Up cold boxes... manual cash registers.... But I think a toy from his childhood will make him teary the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,673,713 times
One year I bought everyone one share of stock in a company. You can get them right on line. I even bought my nephew a share of Disney Stock and the certificate they sent had all the characters on it. It was just so they could follow it and mess with it that way. It's not a lot of money and could be something of a hobby if you can keep it to a share. Get it from something he is interested in or an idea he mentioned to you once when you weren't listening.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:41 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,600,659 times
A Luxo lamp. People that age read the newspaper. Especially the obituaries. A good reading light is essential.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 PM

26,413 posts, read 62,641,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
One year I bought everyone one share of stock in a company. You can get them right on line. I even bought my nephew a share of Disney Stock and the certificate they sent had all the characters on it. It was just so they could follow it and mess with it that way. It's not a lot of money and could be something of a hobby if you can keep it to a share. Get it from something he is interested in or an idea he mentioned to you once when you weren't listening.
My wifes Grandmother did that. The stock split four or five times. Finally during really hard times, we decided to sell it. We got $800. She paid not more than $5 for it. Of Course that is over about 30 years. I think we got to keep the certificate. That $800 saved our tails at the time.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 9,107 times
I like the label maker idea...a lot!
What about a pocket knife with his initials on it. Or if he carries handkerchiefs in his pockets, how about some monogrammed ones. Another idea is A fruit delivery service, which will send him fruits throughout the year. I gave my dad a hummingbird feeder to put outside of his kitchen window and he enjoys that, and any kind of bird feeder would be nice. I like the car wash gift certificate idea, I may do that this year. Some other things I have gotten my dad over the years: personalized crossword puzzle, grill tools including a new cover for the grill and a branding iron with his initials on it. He loves Jack Daniels, and has everything under the sun that's related to that, but one year I got him 25 mini bottles with a personalized label on each. He got a real kick out of that. I got him bamboo wind chimes one year (not a very masculine gift, I know), but I included a poetic card that basically said, in a sweet daughterly way, that every time they make a sound, know that I'm thinking of you at that same moment. Cheesy, yes, but sentimental nonetheless. I went to a thrift store and bought all kinds of big band music and old jazz records, which he likes, and framed some of the album covers for him to hang in his office. I got him a stand alone record player to listen to the records on, though I'm not sure he's ever used it, he seems proud to show it to people that come over. How about a fish in a fishbowl? Or a nice umbrella? We used to vacation in the mountains when I was a kid, so I recently got him a bottle of wine from a winery in that area as a nostalgic gift. I think people like gifts like that that bring up fond memories from the past. I know he will always keep that bottle of wine and smile when he sees it. Last and final suggestion: steaks from Omaha Steaks. They are awesome and and you can suggest he cook them one time when you are visiting.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,107 times
I forgot to mention my dad's favorite gift: a polo-style shirt with our family crest embroidered on it. It was like $35 and though I don't remember the company that did it, I'm sure there are others online. I also got my brother and his wife a set of towels with the family crest (aka coat of arms).

There is also a trend of people recreating existing family photos. For example, find some picture of you and your sibling(s) when you were kids and capture the same moment again now that you are adults (wear similar clothes as in the original picture and do the same thing you were each doing when the pic was taken, for example, swinging on swings, etc.). Google "recreate childhood photos" or something like that to see examples. Most of them are hilarious. Your dad would love this I'M SURE, especially if he remembers the original photo.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 AM

526 posts, read 738,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
How about a nice pocket knife?

They make very small pocket sized LED flashlights that he may like. Check out brands like Fenix.
if he doesn't have one:
a really good rechargeable flashlite or DSL camera

is there a quality knife sharpener in the house?

Last edited by eidas; 12-08-2013 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 10:32 AM

12,544 posts, read 12,460,613 times
Exclamation Please do NOT get him a bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Get him a bird. Not some little tweety thing, but a real parrot he can have a relationship with. They are expensive (thousands) in pet stores, but you can find them on Craigslist or through rescues for a few uhundred dollars, usually including a thousand dollar cage. You need to make certain he might want it thugh. PEt surprises are often a bad idea.

Please do NOT get him a bird!

Watch Parrot Confidential and you will see why.

1. Birds are more work than any other pet except for maybe a chimpanzee. Seriously! They require a lot of love and interaction every day, out of the cage for several hours at least, because they are social creatures and need and want to be part of everything that goes on in the home. They will make messes, big messes, even the little ones like budgies and cockatiels.

2. Birds are expensive. They need a lot of toys to destroy and keep them occupied; and a lot of patience.

3. Then there's "birdproofing" your home, like getting rid of any non-stick cookware and appliances, not using the self-cleaning feature in the oven, not burning candles or using any fragrances or carpet-cleaning powders, etc.

4. Birds make noise. A LOT of noise. Flock calls in the morning and evening are natural behavior. And no matter how good a parront you are, you will get bitten, more than once.

5. A parrot will outlive your father by many, many years. Then what?

6. Finding a bird on Craigslist is nearly guaranteeing that it will be a bird with a behavioral problem.

Please, not to come down on Coldjensens here, but this is just not a good idea for many reasons. I have just touched the tip of the iceberg.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:29 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,495,349 times
If he's into his grandchildren, how about a digital photo frame like one of these:
All Digital Photo Frames : 8" - 9" 8" - 9" - Best Buy

But the point is: DON'T EXPECT HIM TO LOAD IT. You do the work. Put the pictures and the batteries in there so it's ready to turn on when he opens the package.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:48 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,459,214 times
I would vote consumables too; make a gift basket with his favorite foods, maybe even something you make yourself that he likes or meats, cheeses, nuts, candy, coffee, tea; or sign him up for one of those monthly tasting clubs; or get a bottle of fancy expensive liquor if he drinks, or a gift card to a good grocery market or coffee place or restaurant.

Alternatively, how about digging up some old photos of your family, maybe him and his family when they were young, and making them into a framed collage or scanning and loading into a digital frame; you could even make a slideshow set to music.

You didn't mention if he has a good camera or cares to have one at all? Maybe to take pics of the grandchildren? My dad and husband have both gotten into photogry in the last couple of years and keep buying different lenses, filters, tripods etc for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships