Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times

Advertisements

At least point out, respectfully if you know something about the business how it is. It's not easy starting this type of business and the other factors as well. People do need to learn on their own But informing them may help them make the right choice-or help them succeed. Esp when it's a friend or family member. Very rarely will it not be at least appreciated.

I sometimes feel the "leave them be" philosphify can go overboard. Of course adults will make their decisions, But I feel it's a bit of disservice to not at least mention something if a person might go down the wrong road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You can ask her if she would like an outlook from the viewpoint of a customer.
If she says No, let her find out for herself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sometimes, failure is the best teacher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I wouldn't say anything, she has to learn from experience.
These are all excellent responses.

Part of it would be how big a problem it would be or how much she could lose financially if she was not successful.

It would make a lot of difference if she would just need to buy a $100 starter set vs. pay for $1,500 worth of training and pay for $1,500 worth of samples (or sign up for $20,000 in worthless credits at a fly-by-night "college"). In the last two cases I would try to talk with her before she spends the money. In the first example ($100 & minimal time lost) probably experience/possible failure would be the best teacher.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:49 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
These are all excellent responses.

Part of it would be how big a problem it would be or how much she could lose financially if she was not successful.

It would make a lot of difference if she would just need to buy a $100 starter set vs. pay for $1,500 worth of training and pay for $1,500 worth of samples (or sign up for $20,000 in worthless credits at a fly-by-night "college"). In the last two cases I would try to talk with her before she spends the money. In the first example ($100 & minimal time lost) probably experience/possible failure would be the best teacher.
Show her this link Pink Truth » Welcome

Welcome to Pink Truth, the largest and fastest growing online community dedicated to exposing Mary Kay Cosmetics and other predatory multi-level marketing companies that target women.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
I know a woman who is a Mary Kay consultant and makes six figures annually doing it. Of course, she's been in it for over eight years and has worked very hard. Many wash out before that point.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
We have a niece and she is trying to sell cosmetics and frankly she is overweight and her skin is not pretty at all , constant acne and such and she does not even wear makeup herself and her clothes are not what we all would call sales type .Sometimes she just gets clothes out of the dirty clothes bin In other words she is more the t shirt and jeans type instead of skirt and panty hose type .I dont even believe she owns a skirt or nice business type shirt , I just dont think it is a good idea for her to sell cosmetics and dont think she would be successful at it . How could we tell her , without hurting her feelings too much ? Or should we just be blunt ? I guess I should have said this too . Her uncle tried to give her a gift card for clothes and she gave it back to him saying she did not need new clothes but thanks .I wish I could afford to do something for her but I cant afford new clothes for myself right now .
I'm not clear as to why you think you should be telling someone that you think what they are doing is not a good idea. What do you hope to gain from saying such a thing to someone other than setting up to be able to gloat "I told you so"? If she fails, she fails. It's not your place to decide whether another person will be successful at something or not. This sounds kind of "buttinsky" to me. Mind your own business.

I do see your point, because you can see where her own appearance would be a problem in a career that focuses on appearance. I just don't like it when someone tells someone else that they can't or shouldn't do something they want to do. Let her try and let her learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships