U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:00 PM

198 posts, read 393,526 times

Advertisements

What do you guys and dolls think about this? As either the person who is doing the giving, having their number given out, or receiving a number from a third party?

Feel free to share any relevant anecdotes, bonus points for sitcom hilarity and hijinks.

My personal anecdotes are sadly not sitcom hilarious. One time at a party, I was getting along with this guy I hadn't met and eventually we stepped out to get some...coffee. Actually, it really was just coffee, from a cute little mom&pop place, too. Anyway, we returned back to the fold just before parting ways, and one of the girls there asked if I had gotten his number. To my initial horror, I'd forgotten to ask, and worried how I would arrange a second meeting with him. It was quickly resolved when someone there gave me his number. Overall, didn't cause any drama.

On the other hand, my mother decided to give my number to her one of her friends. One of her friends who has a tendency to be a motor mouth. So now I get calls from this person whenever my mom decides to stop answering her calls, asking me if I know my mother's whereabouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 04:17 PM

570 posts, read 555,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
What do you guys and dolls think about this? As either the person who is doing the giving, having their number given out, or receiving a number from a third party?

Feel free to share any relevant anecdotes, bonus points for sitcom hilarity and hijinks.

My personal anecdotes are sadly not sitcom hilarious. One time at a party, I was getting along with this guy I hadn't met and eventually we stepped out to get some...coffee. Actually, it really was just coffee, from a cute little mom&pop place, too. Anyway, we returned back to the fold just before parting ways, and one of the girls there asked if I had gotten his number. To my initial horror, I'd forgotten to ask, and worried how I would arrange a second meeting with him. It was quickly resolved when someone there gave me his number. Overall, didn't cause any drama.

On the other hand, my mother decided to give my number to her one of her friends. One of her friends who has a tendency to be a motor mouth. So now I get calls from this person whenever my mom decides to stop answering her calls, asking me if I know my mother's whereabouts.
I do not give out anyone's phone numbers to anyone. I will say give me your number and I will call them to give them yours. I won't even give out someones email address. It isn't my number to give.

I worked with a lady who would give out home numbers to people who called the office looking for someone. Once that was discovered it was stopped. This lady wasn't playing with a full deck but really, you have to be TOLD not to give out home #'s to random people calling an office??

Old 12-06-2012, 04:29 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Not without permission from the third party. Big, fat faux pas.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 PM

43,534 posts, read 52,626,787 times
Nope.
If someone wants someone else's number, I call that person and say, "So and so wants your number for such and such. Is that ok?" 99/100 it's fine, but I do NOT give out personal numbers otherwise.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,249,072 times
Never give anyone's personal information out, especially without their permission. You never know what will happen and it will fall back on you.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,964,551 times
I never give anyone's number to other people without their consent.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,385,884 times
I would not give out a third party's number without their consent. I would either:

1.) Take your number and pass the message along to the third party
or
2.) Ask the third party if it's okay to give out their number (to a specific person)
or
3.) Give you third party's email address

Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 AM

115 posts, read 168,131 times
Default Here's a story:

At work, there were some upper level management changes and the CFO was replaced. The previous CFO was well liked in the office, and some of the people in my department were very upset that he was let go. One woman in my department who was an acquaintance of mine was so upset that she started venting to me and the other co-workers about how she couldn't stand the new CFO. Needless to say, it wasn't long before she was let go as well.

Next thing I know, I get a call at home from the woman wanting to know what was going on in the office. I asked her how did she get my phone number and she said the office manager (who was instrumental in getting her fired) gave it to her.

I was highly upset, because even though this woman was a work acquaintance, I never felt we were that close for me to give her my phone number. I had to tell her I wasn't going to discuss what was going on in the office with her, especially with my still working there. She stopped calling.

The office manager put me in a real ****ed up spot. I told the new CFO about it and she blew it off.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM

17,005 posts, read 17,320,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
I do not give out anyone's phone numbers to anyone. I will say give me your number and I will call them to give them yours. I won't even give out someones email address. It isn't my number to give.

I worked with a lady who would give out home numbers to people who called the office looking for someone. Once that was discovered it was stopped. This lady wasn't playing with a full deck but really, you have to be TOLD not to give out home #'s to random people calling an office??
I agree. What if that innocent looking person was the stalker or ex that your friend was hiding from?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,821,225 times
Absolutely not. Never. Ever. And if anyone gave out my number without my permission, they'd be out of the will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships