Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times

Advertisements

I'm probably not the only one racking their brain for appropriate gifts as the days tick down. But I find myself worrying most over what to get the men in my life, specifically my brother and BILs because I assume I could find some trinket that my sisters would enjoy without much trouble. But perhaps this is because I am a girl so shopping for them is similar to shopping for myself.

So do you tend to have more trouble buying for family of your own gender, or the opposite? Or are you a master gift giver, like a holiday ninja silently defeating your shopping list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I definitely think men are harder to shop for. We have a limited budget for gifts in my family, and I can always knock out gifts for the ladies pretty quickly. Like you say, jewelry, soaps, candles, home decor stuff, etc.--easy. The men in the family I always end up giving them beer or a bottle of wine or other booze, because I can't think of anything else.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM

559 posts, read 1,394,400 times
For the men in my family sometimes I find something in the men's section of a dept store. You know those gadgets or other boxed gifts they sell in the men’s dept this time of year? I often have luck there.

Or if they’re big sports fans I’ll get them something with the logo of one of their favorite teams.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 PM

175 posts, read 315,107 times
Gift cards for everybody! Takes the worry out of it!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:05 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I find men harder. It's easy to find something other girls wiuld like, but the men are much harder.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,582 times
I rarely go to the store where they sell men. I'm much more a a fan of the store where they sell women, but only when they're on some sort of sale. They tend to be really expensive.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I'm looking for little stocking stuffer type things to throw in with gifts for my nieces and nephews. For the girls, there's lip gloss or nail polish or hair clips, and for boys there's uh, I don't know.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Fleetie, you can get little Lego packs of limited edition minifigures for $2. My son and his cousin (who will be here over Christmas) are getting glow-in-the-dark vampire teeth, and I always find stuff like crayons, yoyos, bouncy balls, and candy.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
UE, it's easier for me to shop for women, but the guy nerds in my life are simple to shop for. I go to Thinkgeek and find marshmallow guns and cool magnets and stuff. My uncle is super hard to shop for, though. He is a bachelor and wealthy so he buys whatever he wants.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I definitely think men are harder to shop for. We have a limited budget for gifts in my family, and I can always knock out gifts for the ladies pretty quickly. Like you say, jewelry, soaps, candles, home decor stuff, etc.--easy. The men in the family I always end up giving them beer or a bottle of wine or other booze, because I can't think of anything else.
Love ya, fleetie (you know I really do), but I hate it when people say this. It perpetuates this myth that many (if not most) men have in their heads that we women like these stupid meaningless fluff gifts.

I can't stand them. I know many women who can't stand them. If you can't think about me and what would truly mean something to me, I would rather get nothing. Not a gift card (I have a drawer full of hundreds of dollars of unused gift cards - I use them now to tip people), not another candle, not some cheezy bauble I'll never wear...in fact, the whole thing about getting women jewelry as some catch-all way to make them happy - THAT is another terrible myth.
I don't care if you spent $20,000 on that bracelet. If it's not something I'd want or like, you just wasted your money and kind of pissed me off by thinking/acting like I'm some drone that you can just buy whatever for. "Oooh, shiny! Me happy!"

No, no, no, no, no.

I don't see difficulty in a gender divide. Everyone is so different.

I have a friend who ONLY likes gift cards. So while it pains me to buy them (they seem impersonal and lazy), I know that is what SHE likes and that's what's important. She buys me the same gift every year and I LOVE IT. It's a collie calendar. I love me my collies and I like them on a calendar.
My brother is easy because he pretty much expects everyone to stick to the script of his amazon.com wishlist.
My mother and father are impossible, because they have everything, their walls and horizontal surfaces are covered in momentos, pictures, art/knickknacks from all over the world (ones that actually mean something - not some dime store tchotchke), etc...this year my dad is getting flying lessons and I have no effin' clue what to get my mom.

Booze and chocolate/food work for a lot of people. Hell, if you know my favorite booze (or something you'd know I'd enjoy trying) or you bake me something you know I love...

Friends who love working out? Under Armour shirts for them...they work out twice a day most days and could use more clothes.
Friends with kids often like it if you get their kids something instead of them. Same with friends with pets.
You can always donate to a charity in the name of your friends, too. I like that. We asked people to do that instead of getting us wedding presents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships