Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,617 times

Advertisements

I cant find a right forum for this, but this is the closest one.

for myself, Im a single child, never had siblings to grow up with. I envy people growing up who had siblings, but then again as im older now, i see some folks who don't talk to their siblings for life, because they disagree on something or did something that is not forgivable.

what are your experiences with your siblings? in some way i feel lucky to have no siblings now, but then again the grass is greener on the other side, as i see some folks who have family problems once their siblings are married and they dont like their siblings husband/wife/family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:41 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,054 times
I have a younger brother. I haven't spoken to him in years. While I did not do this, I seriously wanted to do it when he texted me "Happy Birthday" on my last birthday....

"Why of all the days of the year to remind me of your existence, did you choose my birthday?"

Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,302 times
Wouldn't the perfect forum be "non-romantic relationships"?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
I have a brother but we have had no contact for yrs....
making it short: I was forced to get a restraining order against his wife...

Be relieved you have missed issues like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
I cant find a right forum for this, but this is the closest one.

for myself, Im a single child, never had siblings to grow up with. I envy people growing up who had siblings, but then again as im older now, i see some folks who don't talk to their siblings for life, because they disagree on something or did something that is not forgivable.

what are your experiences with your siblings? in some way i feel lucky to have no siblings now, but then again the grass is greener on the other side, as i see some folks who have family problems once their siblings are married and they dont like their siblings husband/wife/family.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:19 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
I have sister who I can only take in very small doses. She is very self absorbed and selfish. I feel like I have to walk on eggshells around her. I also have a brother. We get along great but don't talk often because he's usually super busy with his law practice.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Whether you have siblings or not, you probably have other family and relatives. Taking the bad with the good sometimes comes with the territory of having ANY kind of relative, sibling or otherwise.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
My half-brothers are wonderful. They are a good bit older than me, but I love them very much. They have always spoiled me, teased me, and been great sounding boards. I am lucky to have them.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,749 times
I haven't spoke with my brother for about eight years. I have two older sisters. One of them I haven't seen in about twenty years. I love her very much but I don't enjoy talking on the phone with her because it is a one sided conversation. It goes on for hours. I thought I was close with my other sister, but came to the realization that she is a very secretive person, to the point of being sneaky. My mother is the reason why we aren't close. She openly has let her daughters know that she loves her son and cares less if her daughters are in her life at all. We were a very close family when my father was alive. He passed away when I was in my teens, and then my brother set his sites on my mom's estate. Of course, she gave it all to him. I was tired of being the scapegoat. Brothers and sisters raised in a family where the parents love them equally is a wonderful way to grow up. If you have a parent that pits the siblings against each other, it can be horrific.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
My brother is one of my best friends.
My parents stressed this hugely when we were growing up.
And while there are times I want to smack the **** out of him, he'll always be one of my best friends.

I DO NOT think this is luck of the draw; rather, I think it's the result of a particular type of family dynamic.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I have two brothers and one sister. We get along very well. To be sure, there is the occasional friction, but it's a good relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships