Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 03:53 AM

132 posts, read 314,245 times

Advertisements

We had some very interesting discussions over the long Christmas weekend with the 21 people that stayed at my wife's family.

One thing that left an impression on me was the large number of people win 21st Century America who have incredibly unusual ideas, lifestyles, political perspectives, and ways of looking at the world.

In the mainstream world of general professional or college educated society I work in, of course people have different ways of looking at things, lifestyles and cultural norms, but in general I can respect and understand where they are coming from and have heard their perspectives before. But so many people I am meeting now days are just way out in left or right field. Their perspectives are extreme and I just don't understand how they come up with their ideas on things and choice of lifestyle or appearance.

Can "these extremes" be reasoned with? Should I even try to debate them? Is it a form of mental illness that they are so far removed from the ideas and lifestyles of the general public? Is it their loss or their gain or a sign of a successful society that people can survive and prosper economically and culturally with such extreme viewpoints, lifestyles and appearances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,649,447 times
Examples of the extreme beliefs would help make this a discussion. Right now I believe this is what you really wanted to write:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomeSeller View Post

"These extremes" can't be reasoned with.
No one should even try to debate them.
I think it's like a form of mental illness that they are so far removed from the ideas and lifestyles of the general public.
I can't reconcile that people can survive and prosper economically and culturally with such extreme viewpoints, lifestyles and appearances.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:49 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,468,785 times
Quote:

Can "these extremes" be reasoned with? Should I even try to debate them? Is it a form of mental illness that they are so far removed from the ideas and lifestyles of the general public? Is it their loss or their gain or a sign of a successful society that people can survive and prosper economically and culturally with such extreme viewpoints, lifestyles and appearances?
Depends on your definition of extreme. Your extreme could be someone else's normal.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:26 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,434,245 times
Beware of judging others by your own circle of lifestyle choices. You may find that you are actually in the minority. Statistics can be an interesting class.

I was amazed when I found out our state's low income and education %. I always assumed, from my circle, that it was much higher. We all tend to judge the world from our own limited perspectives.

The media has pushed the boundaries of what people feel they can blast others about. So many listen to radical radio and television and get their ideas from what "entertainers" or "preachers" or "others in power" say rather than investigating and developing their own ideas. Just listen to what is given time to when the general public calls into talk radio. Scary.

You will quickly find out who can debate an idea intelligently or who will just quote a TV or radio personality often using the exact same words over and over. It is wise not to try with those who immediately feel that a raised voice is all it takes to put their arguement forward or who quotes radio or TV personalities.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 AM

Here are some ideas that came from some interesting relatives which I found extreme:

A man who does not talk to anyone at any time unless he has to for work. He showed up and was there for the whole four days but did not say a word to anyone

A women who said America should open our borders to all and let anyone who wants to come in do so.

A man who has over 100 tattoos including a number on his face

A Grandmother who has never engaged her Grandchildren.

Another person who wants to completely dismantle Americas military

Another person who wants to nuke Iran and is convinced it would be a great idea and would have no real international implications.

(DO YOU GET THE IDEA?)

Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,468,785 times
Quote:
Here are some ideas that came from some interesting relatives which I found extreme:
Shrug!!

There are people, children or adults who had no one to spend the holidays with, recently lost loved ones and had difficulty getting through the day...

Worry about bigger issues and spare the judgement.

Is that the answer Jane and Jerry were looking for?? Give it a rest.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,401,899 times
I'm confused in that it seems you're saying those with views or lifestyles that differ from yours have mental illnesses?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I'm confused in that it seems you're saying those with views or lifestyles that differ from yours have mental illnesses?
Their views on important things are not different than mine but different than 99.99% of the population.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,621,875 times
I am always skeptical of the person who claims everyone ELSE around him is mentally ill and he is the "normal" one.

Since this is your wife's family, why don't you share with us what SHE thinks about these people and their lifestyles/opinions?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 AM

197 posts, read 207,573 times
Quote:
Alrighty then lets take a look-see shall we?

Quote:
A man who does not talk to anyone at any time unless he has to for work. He showed up and was there for the whole four days but did not say a word to anyone
Hmm, a bit on the antisocial side perhaps, but you'll find many of these types if you look for them.

Quote:
A women who said America should open our borders to all and let anyone who wants to come in do so.
Wouldn't say this is extreme, just an idealistic point of view that doesn't really consider the consequences of what she's saying.

Quote:
A man who has over 100 tattoos including a number on his face
A bit extreme, but there are plenty of people who have a large amount of tattoos if you find the right social circles.

Quote:
A Grandmother who has never engaged her Grandchildren.
Could be many reasons for this - maybe her son/daughter married someone she disapproved of. I'm sure this is quite common as more ethnic groups begin to intermingle and mix.

Quote:
Another person who wants to completely dismantle Americas military
Idealistic, yes, but the intentions might be noble. The military doesn't exactly have the best reputation after the two recent "wars".

Quote:
Another person who wants to nuke Iran and is convinced it would be a great idea and would have no real international implications.
I see many right wing posters with this ideology, but even I would consider it extreme.

Quote:
(DO YOU GET THE IDEA?)
I suppose they could be a bit extreme, but it seems more a combination of personality traits/idealism. I tend to go outside of my social circle and intermingle with strangers here and there - people are very diverse in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships