Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 AM

5 posts, read 15,134 times

Advertisements

Since my divorce 4 years ago I've been living in these great apartment with wonderful neighbors. Two months ago this middle age couple(no kids) moved in below me and have been a nightmare since. First they have a very large dog that they allow to bark inside their apartment at all hours. Plus from the time they get home till the time they go to bed(after midnight some nights) they are banging doors,moving furniture, hammering etc.

Now it gets even better. About two weeks after they moved in I found a note taped to my door from them saying I walk to loud and can I vacuum when they are not home as it disturbs them. I was like WTF. I'm a single woman who goes to bed at 10pm every night how much noise can I make. Plus no one has ever complained about me before. Next week I vacuumed at my normal time 1pm on Sat and when I stopped they were banging on my door which I did not answer. After this I knew they were going to be a problem so I called my landlord and filled her in. She said they were being ridicules BUT stated they have been complaining about me saying I'm moving furniture all night (so not true). We ended it with she would call them to see what was going on.

Well since I complained their noise only got worse and its obvious they are doing it on purpose now. I need to have my tv,fan and white noise machine going to drown out most of their noise. BUT now they have started something new. At random times thruout the day AND night they will slam the bedroom door(which is right under my bedroom) with such force it rattles my windows, has pull picture frames off my wall and shakes my WHOLE apartment. If this happens when I'm sleeping it will wake me up with such a start my heart jumps into my chest. Everything else they do I can tolerate but this. Since I never know when they are going to do it I'm always on edge waiting.

Can anyone one offer advice with dealing with these @ssholes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Since you have lived there for 4 years I would complain to the management. There complaints just started so I would think they would believe you. Or you can make a video/sound recording for proof, then take them to court for harassment.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 PM

76 posts, read 136,425 times
If God had wanted you to have peace and quite, he would have given you a house. I had upstairs neighbors who weighed around 500 pounds combined. Every Sunday morning they would engage in coitus. Early Sunday morning. Count your blessings.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:02 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
What you want them to do to the dog kill it?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:08 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Holy crap people this Lady is asking for help and has been from what it sounds like a normal, great tenant. These low class trash has come and rocked the boat. Listen this will only get worse if you make it worse for them. The best thing to do is try and be nice to them. Bake a cake, go down, introduce yourself and lie thru you ass/teeth and make nice conversation. Its the only way. These people are vengeful, hateful, and will do worse if you make trouble.THese type know the system, have done this before and get off on it. Its happened before I can bet. However what has not happened to them before is the way you act. You need to use reverse psychology!!! You need to act like you like them and bull**** them. Trust me, bake that cake and go down and say you want to be hospitibal. Now when you see them smile, make small talk and say if you need any help I am here. YOU NEED TO DO THIS, people like this you will never win, so play the game my dear. Just play it different!!!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 AM

150 posts, read 300,647 times
I agree with stevemorse.. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I would also "explore" other housing options in case this doesn't improve.. there are many nice places to live around here and life is too short to deal with this terrible situation for a long period of time.. good luck.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:11 AM

5 posts, read 15,134 times
This is situation is behond repair cake or no cake. They know what they are doing and now I feel its like a game to them. They even seem to know what room I'm in as when I'm in my bedroom thats where the dog will bark/doors slam ect. If I'm in the living room trying to relax/watch tv thats where the dog will bark/doors slam.
As far as the dog goes it looks like a pitbull or at least a pitbull mix. My lease handbook states all dogs MUST BE under 20lbs which I know the dog is over.

I've decided I need to try and get out or at the very least move to anouther building. Problem is I just signed my lease and have 10 months to go. Can anyone help me or give me advice on how to go about this? I do plan on bringing up the dog over 20lbs but not sure if that will do any good.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:08 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetbovat View Post
Since my divorce 4 years ago I've been living in these great apartment with wonderful neighbors. Two months ago this middle age couple(no kids) moved in below me and have been a nightmare since. First they have a very large dog that they allow to bark inside their apartment at all hours. Plus from the time they get home till the time they go to bed(after midnight some nights) they are banging doors,moving furniture, hammering etc.

Now it gets even better. About two weeks after they moved in I found a note taped to my door from them saying I walk to loud and can I vacuum when they are not home as it disturbs them. I was like WTF. I'm a single woman who goes to bed at 10pm every night how much noise can I make. Plus no one has ever complained about me before. Next week I vacuumed at my normal time 1pm on Sat and when I stopped they were banging on my door which I did not answer. After this I knew they were going to be a problem so I called my landlord and filled her in. She said they were being ridicules BUT stated they have been complaining about me saying I'm moving furniture all night (so not true). We ended it with she would call them to see what was going on.

Well since I complained their noise only got worse and its obvious they are doing it on purpose now. I need to have my tv,fan and white noise machine going to drown out most of their noise. BUT now they have started something new. At random times thruout the day AND night they will slam the bedroom door(which is right under my bedroom) with such force it rattles my windows, has pull picture frames off my wall and shakes my WHOLE apartment. If this happens when I'm sleeping it will wake me up with such a start my heart jumps into my chest. Everything else they do I can tolerate but this. Since I never know when they are going to do it I'm always on edge waiting.

Can anyone one offer advice with dealing with these @ssholes?
I had this situation too with a downstairs neighbor once. He was complaining about my guitar playing, like even during the day. He was being a total d@uche about it too, was very confrontational and a much bigger guy than me.

When my neighbor banged on his ceiling enough times, I went down there to confront him, fully expecting that there might be a physical confrontation. He was that much of a d@uche. It was definitely not the most pleasant conversation but we hammered out something reasonable. Later, he and his girlfriend(s) (I have no doubt he had many women considering what a d@uche he was) used to have loud sex through the night, and when I had enough, I went down and confronted him and he said he would keep it down.

You did not do the right thing by ignoring them. You probably could have hammered out an agreement with them. There are some people who are aresholes and think that they are entitled to total quiet and that any kind of noise that bothers them in the least is an infringement on their property. But unless you can move, you have to deal with it. Part of living in an apartment really. It'd be even rarer for them to be the kind that are COMPLETELY unreasonable, especially since they are a couple.

And you're a woman. What can they do to you? A lot of times people of that personality type respect you a lot more when you have the cojones to confront them. You need some small semblance of a relationship with them and to stop this blind little game of back and forth noise drowning. Take a deep breath, take a tape recorder with you in case they get out of hand, and go down there and talk to them today.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
MOVE ASAP

So much benefits with a single family home.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
There are three basic ways to handle this:

1. Escalate-- call the cops.

2. Confront-- see if you can't get them to be reasonable

3. Move

Personally, if I was single and living alone, I would probably threaten to move. If your landlord doesn't want to lose you as a tenant, he/she will need to do the confronting part. Most landlords don't like to have vacancies and I bet that yours will step up.

I once had a neighbor complain about me vaccuming throw rugs in a condo with hardwood floors. I had a new vacuum that made a regular vacuum noise. I am not sure how or why people would think that this noise is in any way unusual. It seems totally unreasonable to me. Its like saying "your shower is too loud" or "please don't flush the toilet because I don't like the noise."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships