U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:24 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times

Advertisements

Especially young women. It's so ditzy and, I don't know, it sounds like they're so flaky, shallow scatter-brained and have short attention spans. Also how they get so emotional over the most trivial crap.

Some teens also sound like they're always mocking people/bitching about them when they talk. Have teenagers always been this mean-spirited? It doesn't endear them to me.

To be honest, I'm kind of turned off a lot of young women these days. Just their personalities. Also they're so obsessed with technology, but let's not get started on that yet again. Maybe I'm a grumpy old post-adolescent lol.

But yeah, is it just me or is there nothing more annoying to listen to than say a group of girl-friends out chit-chatting? Maybe that's why I could never stand shows like Sex and the City, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 PM

43,295 posts, read 41,861,706 times
Yes, it is pretty universally hated.

So many kids that age are famously self-absorbed, at least from afar. Much of the time it is just "groupthink," and when they are one-on-one they actually behave much more tolerably.

Young women these days are notorious for using what is called "vocal fry," though ironically one of the worst offenders I've ever heard is the current editor of the New York Times, a middle-aged woman named Jill Abramson.

Jill Abramson discusses social media - YouTube

This video is an example of vocal fry, and while this show looks a lot like a skit on Saturday Night Live, it does have a pretty good compilation of clips:

The Buzz: Vocal Fry trend - YouTube

Most teens outgrow it, and you really have to try hard not to judge a book by its cover. If you aren't around teens that much, it is very hard to get used to.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
^ LOL I think vocal fry is more of an American phenomenon, I just hear high pitched excitable ditziness coming out of their pretty young throats lmao.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,545,698 times
The vocal fry annoys the HELL out of me! The worst offender IMO is Zoe Chase on NPR's Planet Money. I have written to them several times to complain about how grating her voice and goofy hipster "accent" is.

I have read that women who speak with the vocal fry are doing irreparable damage to their vocal cords and that makes me feel a little better.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,150,163 times
Perhaps I'm the minority, but I don't mind the way teen girls sound. The vocal fry doesn't bother me. This is just part of teen life -- speaking in a way to annoy their elders.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:25 AM

4,359 posts, read 2,977,723 times
Talk...yes.

"Teeheeheeeehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehehehhe heheeeehehehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehheheheh eeehehehehhehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehhehehe hehheheheheehehehehehehheheheeheeheeeeeeeehehehheh ehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehheeheeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeehehheheheheheheheh!ehehehhhhhhhhhhh eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(The above is taking place in a library or bookstore. It's much, much worse everywhere else.)

A lot of the character of teen girls is underrated though. A lot of them seem to be tough as nails. Some are spoiled, but the tough as nails ones seem more common. It'd be nice if more of the boys would put down their videogames more often and follow the examples of many of the girls.

Last edited by Clintone; 12-22-2012 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-22-2012, 03:43 PM

22,564 posts, read 24,148,016 times
Not necessarily teengers, but what always gets me (besides inserting "like," like everywhere,) is ending every sentence like it's a question. I work at a university and I'll get calls that sound like:
"Um, hi? Like, I was a student there in 2009? And, like, I need a copy of my transcript? I'm, like, applying to graduate school?"
And I want to say, "oh, honey, you need to listen to yourself. Please tell me that's not how you talk on job interviews."

Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 PM

136 posts, read 186,346 times
Yes it is annoying and should be corrected. The excesive 'like' and the 'uhs' , 'you know' ( no... I don't). I interject a 'what' each time my daughter does it and she gets annoyed and she gets the point.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,447,708 times
I'm twenty and from being exposed to this stuff all the time, I'm pretty sure the reason people talk in these strange vocal inflections, make their voices deliberately higher/lower and make stupid noises is because they don't feel comfortable with their voices or have yet to realize what their voices are supposed to sound like. I'm being serious.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 PM

3,406 posts, read 7,561,432 times
all teenagers are annoying. Even the ones in my family I love deeply get on my damn nerves. 99% of teens are narcissistic and feel awkward during the moments of silence that adult relish. To solve the problem, they talk about themselves non-stop and talk about everything like they know everything when in my mothers words "they don't even know how to wipe their ass properly".

End of rant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships