Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:33 PM

371 posts, read 1,211,545 times

Advertisements

This wasn't a save the date (she actually sent those out in August)...this WAS the actual invitation. She wants people to RSVP now (so that they can't make excuses later). So I have to say yes or no now.

I had another friend from the same location that I used to work with who invited me to her wedding the week I was moving here. I tried to kind of politely say I'd already be in my new city by then, but she acted like that was nuts and there was no problem with me driving back up there for the wedding. I also had a friend in town (from my home state) and she said I could just bring her with me instead of a date if I wanted, which I felt would be incredibly awkward for all people involved. When she sent the actual invitations out, I just said "no" on my RSVP and she promptly quit speaking to me. Some mutual friends later told me that she was apparently extremely hurt...just didn't want a repeat of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,021 times
Say no now. Mail the RSVP to her with your regrets. This wedding is in Summer or Fall 2013? Who knows what will come up for you between now and then. You don't have to spend the weekend driving a total of 5 hours, spending money on a hotel and gas, and spending a day at a wedding and reception with no close friends feeling awkward and uncomfortable if you don't want to.

If you want, next year you can send her a card and gift.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:59 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
I just said "no" on my RSVP and she promptly quit speaking to me.
That one-word response does seem like a cold slap in the face! A more graceful response would have something along the lines of "I'm sorry but I'm afraid I'll be unable to attend. My very best wishes to you and your future husband."

Last edited by cdnirene; 12-22-2012 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
You don't respond until you receive a formal invitation in the mail. If you have received one, hold onto it. After you receive the invitation, or held onto this one for 10 months, decline the invitation and don't send a gift. You don't have to explain yourself. In the unlikely event that she does call you and ask you why you're not coming, just say, "Oh, I'm so sorry. I just can't."

Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Why not just ignore it?

Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
This wasn't a save the date (she actually sent those out in August)...this WAS the actual invitation. She wants people to RSVP now (so that they can't make excuses later). So I have to say yes or no now.
Okay. That's weird. Just write back saying, "I'm not sure if I can commit to a date that far ahead. However, thanks for thinking of me and best wishes."

Old 12-22-2012, 03:13 PM

371 posts, read 1,211,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
That one-word response does seem like a cold slap in the face! A more graceful response would have something along the lines of "I'm sorry but I'm afraid I'll be unable to attend. My very best wishes to you and your future husband."
It was online and you either checked "yes" or "no." There was no space for comments. I was not living in town by then so wasn't going to see her in person. I'd already told her last time I saw her in person that I just didn't think it was going to work out and that if I could have scheduled my friend to visit during another week, I would have.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Did the invite contain RSVP? Send it back w/ zero for attendance.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
It was online and you either checked "yes" or "no." There was no space for comments. I was not living in town by then so wasn't going to see her in person. I'd already told her last time I saw her in person that I just didn't think it was going to work out and that if I could have scheduled my friend to visit during another week, I would have.
OMG Are we talking an "event" like on facebook?? Check No....end of story.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:19 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
An online wedding invitation is not a SERIOUS wedding invitation. Ignore it.

Sheesh, unbelievably tacky and trashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships