Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 AM

666 posts, read 1,291,610 times

Advertisements

I have never been this kind of person that have been called by any other person other than my parents through all my life. Some who call me have been in different stages of my life, three of who I considered "friends" faded away, only one keeps on calling me but I am afraid eventually he might fade away too although for the moment it does not seem it will happen soon. Should I consider those who have kept contact with me for a long time (but not a significant portion of my life) my friends or should I realize, regardless of how sad it may sound, that I have no friends at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Do you contact anyone besides family regularly? As trite as it sounds, you do have to be a friend in order to have a friend.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM

666 posts, read 1,291,610 times
I do. All of my "ex-friends" (I still have to think if they were ever my friends) cut communication with me after I made the last contact (which they never replied back). It is so normal today to "friends" to fade away like nothing therefore I am beginning to seriously doubt true friendships exist, and if they do, they are hard to find as gold.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I do. All of my "ex-friends" (I still have to think if they were ever my friends) cut communication with me after I made the last contact (which they never replied back). It is so normal today to "friends" to fade away like nothing therefore I am beginning to seriously doubt true friendships exist, and if they do, they are hard to find as gold.
Yea, I know what you are going through. 'Friends' blow me off too. Basically, life is just an extended version of high school in a sense. Being kinda cool, and kinda nice isn't enough. You need to make the cut. Haha.

I do have a few friends I consider good friends. My advice is start young and be very social in your 20s, and don't burn bridges with friends yourself.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I have never been this kind of person that have been called by any other person other than my parents through all my life. Some who call me have been in different stages of my life, three of who I considered "friends" faded away, only one keeps on calling me but I am afraid eventually he might fade away too although for the moment it does not seem it will happen soon. Should I consider those who have kept contact with me for a long time (but not a significant portion of my life) my friends or should I realize, regardless of how sad it may sound, that I have no friends at all?
This seems to be a trend with you? Perhaps you need to develop some new interests. With new interests, comes a new set of people. Try to be more interesting. Also, try to remember this very important truth......you will have many aquaintances in this life, but very few real friends. That's just the way it is.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
This seems to be a trend with you? Perhaps you need to develop some new interests. With new interests, comes a new set of people. Try to be more interesting. Also, try to remember this very important truth......you will have many aquaintances in this life, but very few real friends. That's just the way it is.
Amen to that.

We are born alone, die alone, and most of us spend the time in between alone, whether partnered up or not.

You will be extremely lucky to have more than 2 or 3 really good true friends in your entire life.

I too have a problem with "good time" friends who are only around when things are going well, and evaporate when a crisis arises.

I'm done with these people. I no longer care if I have no "friends" as most of the problems over my life have had their roots in these so-called "friendships".

Quality people are hard to find. Look around CD for example, out of hundreds of posters there are probably only 2 or 3 I actually find bearable and intelligent. It's the same in life. Most people are very, very selfish and don't actually give a big rats bum about anyone else's comfort but their own.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
^^ Well said.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Trying to0 hard can be destructive to all relationships. People tend to shy away from those they believe are needy or desperate. Just chill and let people seek you out. Then, you respond, but don't keep trying if they ignore you. Also, yes most of us have many acquaintances but few true friends. A true friend is someone that is by your side when you are not at your best. This person likes you just the way you are, and you don't have to work at the relationship. Sometimes I think we hurt ourselves when we don't count our family as friends. In the true definition of friendship many times a family member is the best friend we can have.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,534 times
What is a friend anyway? A person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations. pal - mate - chum - buddy - comrade - fellow - companion.
They are hard to come by and also when time passes so do "friends". I left the USA when I was in my early 20's and have lived in 3 different English speaking countries over the last 25 years. Over that time I have met hundreds of people that I have spent some time with, some have stayed through out the years but many have disappeared from my life or I from their life. I have come across racism, people that have just "used" me for their benefit, others that one day you just noticed that they stopped calling or maybe it was me that stopped calling. The most important thing I believe is that if you really love yourself and like what you do with your time , ie sports, hobbies, book club, internet forums etc, then the people that you come into contact with (that you like) will enrich your life, even if its for a hour, day, week or years. Enjoy the experience and enjoy your own life.

Last edited by back2M; 12-28-2012 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Seriously??? I just answered your other friend thread. OP, you are extremely needy, and I think this may have a lot to do with what is going on in your life. Let it go, if someone doesn't want contact with you anymore, or cuts off contact suddenly, you are probably not going to change their mind. I don't know what the deal is, but obviously there is some issue with you that friends just stop communication. Move forward, let it go, live life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships