Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How do you feel about going into bars alone? I do this. For me that is the whole point of a bar kinda like Cheers. You feeling like not being by yourself, go to the bar, strike up conversation with Bartender, or other lonely patrons. In Manhattan, at certain times, it can be kinda of weird, which I think is wrong. These cliques have just taken over, and makes anyone alone look bad.

How do you feel about this? Do you go alone, or do you look funny at people who do?
Funny you should start this thread--this has been on my mind. I have a friend who lives in VA but comes here once a month or so to see her Mom, who is in an assisted living not far from me. When she visits she stays at my place, and we've been going to a nice, comfy, bar about five minutes from my house. They also serve food. Good place, and I really like it. The people who patronize the place seem laid-back and regular, and I have started to think maybe I could drop in there on my own for a drink once in a while.

And the main question is...if people do look at me funny, is there any real reason I should care?

I am a woman in my fifties. The LAST thing I want to give the impression of is one of those washed-up women who hang out at bars looking to pick up the last drunk at the end of the night. That shouldn't happen, because a) I don't have the bleached-blonde hair and pink spandex pants that go with that type, and b) I go to bed way too early to be there for last call.

But, why shouldn't it be OK for me to go in and have a pint or two by myself? I could bring a book, or watch the TVs, though I'm not much of a sports fan and that's what they have on. I don't even have to talk to anyone--sometimes it's nice just to be out amongst other human beings and enjoy a drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM

681 posts, read 618,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How do you feel about going into bars alone? I do this. For me that is the whole point of a bar kinda like Cheers. You feeling like not being by yourself, go to the bar, strike up conversation with Bartender, or other lonely patrons. In Manhattan, at certain times, it can be kinda of weird, which I think is wrong. These cliques have just taken over, and makes anyone alone look bad.

How do you feel about this? Do you go alone, or do you look funny at people who do?
I totally get how you feel because I am about to do the same thing tonight. My roommate went out of town and Im the only one in this big house. I'm gonna go and try to maybe talk to the bartender or try to strike up conversation with people that come up to the bar, who knows maybe someone will invite me back to join their group but yeah all these "cliques" are getting on my nerves.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
I avoid going to bars alone. When alone I tend to drink well past my sensible limit.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I avoid going to bars alone. When alone I tend to drink well past my sensible limit.
Then you most definitely should not drink alone!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,286 times
I have no qualms about going to a drinking establishment alone. I go with the intention of being around other people, hopefully be part of a lively atmosphere, and to enjoy a drink or meal or both. If someone strikes up a conversation with me (or me with them)--great. If not, that's OK too. Life's too short to be left on the sidelines wondering.... should I, shouldn't I, should I, shouldn't I.... Honestly, I don't think anyone really cares whether you're there alone or with someone.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
I'm 25 now, and don't do it quite as much as I used to a couple years ago.. but I still do enjoy going to the bar alone. I usually end up meeting people or striking up conversations with people. I usually have a good time, at the wrong bar it can be boring though. Just depends on the night and who you meet. Most of the time, I have a great time.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I see no problem with this

Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I see no problem with this
LOL, unless you're the person stuck sitting next to the idiot who could not or would not monitor his alcohol intake, but then again, that's part of the risk of going to a bar. That's where the drunks are!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 AM

681 posts, read 618,301 times
well i tried, and it wasn't that great. I should make a thread about it, but im still trying to process everything from last night.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, unless you're the person stuck sitting next to the idiot who could not or would not monitor his alcohol intake, but then again, that's part of the risk of going to a bar. That's where the drunks are!
hahahahah, sitting next to the guy leaning on your shoulder and shouting in your ear how you should be best friends? Who Doesn't want to talk to that guy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships