Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

For the first time in over a decade, it looks like I'll be spending NYE by my lonesome.

There was one year I was deathly ill and stayed home, but I had invites that year.

This year, everybody is married and flown away to warm places, home with their kids, or working. There's still a chance I may hang with someone, but that's far and I'm not sure it will materialize.

Kind of the crossing over/getting old/losing my friend network critical point.

Anybody else going to be alone and how do you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 PM

576 posts, read 994,244 times
DH and I will be here, but it will be about like any other night, lights out at about 10 or so. That ship has sailed, long ago, when we used to party the new year in.

Feel bad for 20 yo daughter though. Just broke up with a *semi* long term relationship, one that was not a healthy relationship. So I'm exuberant that has ended. But sad, that she doesn't have a wide circle of friends anyway, and now, .... she will likely be home with us, on New Year's Eve, instead of out with friends. So in a sense, I'm sure she would term it that she's going to be "alone" on New Year's Eve.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:25 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
I've done it quite a few years, and had a great time. Cooked myself a big dinner, had a couple drinks and then watched a movie.

Usually I go to parties, but I don't always feel like it.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
I usually make it a point to stay home.

Too many crazies.

This year however I've kind of been manipulated into going out to celebrate. Yeah.

Last year I was kissing my brand new boyfriend as the clock struck midnight, in my loungeroom after a wonderful date.

We got through Easter, all the way up to July, then the chit hit the fan in the most glamorous way imagineable.

Now I have a new bf but he is a daddy and has his princess for a week so no kissing in the New Year this year.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
DH and I will be here, but it will be about like any other night, lights out at about 10 or so. That ship has sailed, long ago, when we used to party the new year in.

Feel bad for 20 yo daughter though. Just broke up with a *semi* long term relationship, one that was not a healthy relationship. So I'm exuberant that has ended. But sad, that she doesn't have a wide circle of friends anyway, and now, .... she will likely be home with us, on New Year's Eve, instead of out with friends. So in a sense, I'm sure she would term it that she's going to be "alone" on New Year's Eve.
I'd say to her, that's worse than spending it completely alone. No offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I've done it quite a few years, and had a great time. Cooked myself a big dinner, had a couple drinks and then watched a movie.

Usually I go to parties, but I don't always feel like it.
Really, you Burg? I'd figure you to be out on NYE with a lady in each hand.

Haha. That makes me feel a bit better.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
I also don't enjoy going "out" on NYE. I rather be at home or in someones home. Everywhere is so expensive and filled with what we in the bar business call "amateurs". The one time I went to a club on NYE, tickets were $175 each, open bar, and the guy a few tables away from us died of a heart attack right before midnight. He was young, so people were saying it was cocaine.

My mother will probably be alone. We live in different regions, but I will defiantly be calling her. She likes to watch the news broadcast of NYE around the world, have a glass of wine, and usually falls asleep before midnight.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,054 times
I'll be at my best friend's home with her family and we will probably all be in bed before midnight hits. Yeah, we know how to party it up

Last edited by Pikake; 12-30-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
Turning 19 that day. Probably not

Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM

371 posts, read 1,211,415 times
I was alone last year. I didn't mind because I'd been invited out by chose to stay in. I'd just gotten back from a 10 day visit to my parent's house and all of the family holiday celebrations. I live alone and enjoy my alone time. My flight got in earlier that day and I was glad to have my first evening on my own again. My friend had invited me out but she was going with her b/f. I always felt like such a 3rd wheel with them and knew I'd end up feeling awkward and uncomfortable all night. I decided to stay home rather than being uncomfortable all night just for the sake of saying I was going out on NYE.

This year I will be home with my parents and I'm pretty bummed about that. With the shift in Christmas break if I had left before NYE I would have only been here for a few days when I usually stay at least a week and a half for the holidays. Basically my mom guilt tripped me into staying longer. I only have one close friend left in my hometown and she has other plans with family friends. If I were back in the city I live in now I would definitely go out. Plus, being 25 and alone with my parents on NYE feels way worse to me than spending it alone! I am not going to enjoy tomorrow.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Really, you Burg? I'd figure you to be out on NYE with a lady in each hand.

Haha. That makes me feel a bit better.
I had a girl ask me out to go tomorrow and I declined. I told her I would undoubtedly make a terrible impression after a day of drinking. We rescheduled for Wednesday :P

I prefer just hanging out with my buddies and drinking on New Years, and sometimes I prefer being alone.

Me going out with a woman for a long day/night of drinking = the girl slapping me and calling her friend to come get her

Last edited by intelfan11315; 12-30-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships