Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM

267 posts, read 579,053 times

Advertisements

So back in July one of my two roommates asked if her boyfriend could stay with us for 2 months. My other roommate and I agreed. To be nice he offered to pay $200 which is nothing when our rent is $3000. So anyways, fast forward today, January...he's still here. Back in OCtober we asked him to be out by November, and he said he would, he was waiting to see if he got a new job, which he did. In November he was STILL here but we were still courteous and said...you have until December. December came and went and now here we are in January. He told us he would be out his weekend and he never even packed a box. I am starting to get really upset. I am sick of them walking all over us. In addition, he never brings up moving out, me and my other roommate do, and when we do there's alot of tension. The last time we brought it up, my roommate with the boyfriend didn't talk to us for a whole month. I want to bring it up to my landlord since he is not on the lease, but I don't want to live in an apartment where I am uncomfortable to come home, but it seems like either way i'm screwed. Anyone been through something like this before?

Last edited by glamgal198; 01-07-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 05:57 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Yes, been there. Costs needs to be split 3 ways. Or take him to small claims court. You will win.

1,601 posts, read 2,133,086 times
You and your roommate may end up having to bite the bullet and just tell him that if he isn't out, then you're going to the landlord. Since he's dragging his feet and the girlfriend isn't being firm with him about moving out, it may be your only option.

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
WOW, that really sucks, I'd be so irritated! At this point, I'd bring it up to the landlord...doesn't sound like you have any other option. It's already uncomfortable for you at home, and you need to get this freeloader out once and for all. My guess is the freeloader's other half will follow him and perhaps you can find another roommate that won't take advantage of your hospitality. When it is resolved, chalk this up to never agreeing to anything like this again, it rarely works out well.

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
Why don't you and the other girl...take the girlfriend outside and explain things to her--physically? I'd also get ready to lose both of them if you pursue the issue.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Why don't you and the other girl...take the girlfriend outside and explain things to her--physically? I'd also get ready to lose both of them if you pursue the issue.
We tried that, she didn't talk to us for a month afterwards and went around slamming doors like a 2 year old

Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
You and your roommate may end up having to bite the bullet and just tell him that if he isn't out, then you're going to the landlord. Since he's dragging his feet and the girlfriend isn't being firm with him about moving out, it may be your only option.
I was hoping it wouldn't come to that

Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
So back in July one of my two roommates asked if her boyfriend could stay with us for 2 months. My other roommate and I agreed. Two be nice he offered to pay $200 which is nothing when our rent is $3000. So anyways, fast forward today, January...he's still here. Back in OCtober we asked him to be out by November, and he said he would, he was waiting to see if he got a new job, which he did. In November he was STILL herem but we were still courteous and said...you have until December. December came and went and now here we are in January. He told us he would be out his weekend and he never even packed a box. I am starting to get really upset. I am sick of them walking all over us. In addition, he never brings up moving out, me and my other roommate do, and when we do there's alot of tension. The last time we brought it up, my roommate with the boyfriend didn't talk to us for a whole month. I want to bring it up to my landlord since he is not on the lease, but I don't want to live in an apartment where I am uncomfortable to come home, but it seems like either way i'm screwed. Anyone been through something like this before?
You have a few options:

1. Throw all his crap out into the street and change the locks.

2. Threaten to take him to small claims court.

3. Ask him to pay his fair share of the rent. If he refuses, refer to 1 or 2.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
You have a few options:

1. Throw all his crap out into the street and change the locks.

2. Threaten to take him to small claims court.

3. Ask him to pay his fair share of the rent. If he refuses, refer to 1 or 2.
Small problem with #1 - the girlfriend would still presumably live there, so he'd still have access.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
Small problem with #1 - the girlfriend would still presumably live there, so he'd still have access.
Kick her out too. She sounds like an annoying piece of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships