Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:24 PM

349 posts, read 887,678 times

Advertisements

I had a long conversation with my good friend last night - I am having a very tough time these past few months (OK, most of 2012) and we haven't talked in weeks, so lots to talk about. Her life is not in any particular turmoil, so she was being sweet and supportive...or so I thought (we are in our 40's, friends 2 years now).

The next morning, I see that she started a thread - while we were on the phone - in a more or less complaining mood. She didn't share any details, but painted in this bad light, putting herself where it seems she like to be "in the perfect light".

I am thinking I don't want to confront her but at some point, I think I had better let this one fade away.

That is the most blatant abuse of trust, IMO, to put any inklings of a private conversation on FB especially when you know the person (me) will see it and is already depressed and struggling.

Your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
I would need more information, but I would confront her and drop her. Let her know why I am dropping her - loud and clear. That is tough to do when you are depressed though. I hope you have someone else that you can lean on. Let's face it - if she put it on FB - where you can see it - and others - I cannot imagine what she says behind your back - a friend like that is not a friend and you really need to purge that kind of toxicity from your life - especially if you are struggling with depression. I hope you can cut her loose.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 PM

400 posts, read 1,918,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
I had a long conversation with my good friend last night - I am having a very tough time these past few months (OK, most of 2012) and we haven't talked in weeks, so lots to talk about. Her life is not in any particular turmoil, so she was being sweet and supportive...or so I thought (we are in our 40's, friends 2 years now).

The next morning, I see that she started a thread - while we were on the phone - in a more or less complaining mood. She didn't share any details, but painted in this bad light, putting herself where it seems she like to be "in the perfect light".

I am thinking I don't want to confront her but at some point, I think I had better let this one fade away.

That is the most blatant abuse of trust, IMO, to put any inklings of a private conversation on FB especially when you know the person (me) will see it and is already depressed and struggling.

Your opinion?
Cut this friend loose. And quick. A real friend would have listened intently to you during your phone call, especially if you haven't spoken to each other in weeks. Instead, this woman starts a FB thread where she includes references to her private conversation with you?! Huh?! Who does that! Not a friend. Nope. Nada.

She sounds like she has a narcissistic kind of personality. As in, when the spotlight's not shining on her, she'll use whatever means possible to make sure it does.

Your instinct to let your connection to this so-called friend fade away is spot on. Do not fall into a codependency trap with this woman, where she monopolizes your time, putting her needs first and yours second. Don't let her talk her way out of her extremely rude behavior either, if you do decide to confront her. Frankly, confronting people like this has a one-sided effect: you feel better because you asserted yourself, but the down-side is she's probably so self-involved, you'll be humming the Stones tune, "I can't get no...satisfaction...but I try, and I try, and I tryyyyy... I can't get no...no, no no..." because she won't be listening to you, or she could deflect responsibility for hurting your feelings by saying that you are fragile or are over-reacting. So really, you could either delete her FB profile from your FB page, or just hide her profile so that she can't see your news feed updates, or you could also block her profile too. It depends on how you want to "fade away" from this very rude woman.

I was friends with a woman just like the woman you describe in your post - for 7 agonizing years. She was so self-centered, even the Greek character Narcissus was like, "She's more vain than I am! That's not possible!" She would send me attention seeking texts like, "I'm so sad, I feel hopeless" all the time. It was like I was an on-call psychiatric nurse. She also posted very attention-seeking threads on her FB page too, like the woman in your post. Sometimes she did it after a conversation with me, as though it was done out of spite, which seemed like anytime I disagreed with her about anything, or tried to assert myself.

Anytime I tried to assert myself, her verbal judo cut down my self-esteem to the point where I confronted her one last time and told her she was more toxic to my well being than that Britney Spears song, and that my self-esteem was so messed up from her friendship that it required social rehabilitation with healthier people. She threw a tantrum (she's a 45 year old high school teacher, btw), then hung up the phone on me, and that was 2 years ago. Then recently, I met another woman who exhibited the same exact narcissistic traits and avoided any further contact with her. Once you get burned bad, you quickly learn to recognize the healthy functional personalities in potential friends, to the ones who are emotional vampires who are master manipulators.

If you cut off contact with this woman, count yourself lucky that you only invested 2 years and not 7 like I did, which consisted of me walking on eggshells and participating in a one-sided friendship as a doormat. It was terrible. Sorry for my ramble. But your situation just reminded me of my own with personalities like the woman you posted about. Run, run like the wind (clearly I'm in a song lyric mood right now), to be free again.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM

76 posts, read 120,800 times
Did you say she is in her 40's? wow shes acting like an immature and mean teen girl.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I once had a similar situation, and I was pissed and shared that with the poster.

It sounded like it was EXACTLY like me.

When he explained what it WAS about, that made sense too.

I felt like an a$$, because I acted like an a$$.

That's my only FB drama story.

Except when an author I knew got mad and deleted my pro bacon comment..... I'm guessing she is vegetarian

Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 AM

Default Thanks

It was not the words she used in the posts so much as she felt the need to share that we were on the phone so long and some just innuendo that made it seem like it was a chore. That really pissed me off, and I can't say I'm not tempted to outright dump her, but the fade seems more appropriate.

Wondering what would possess someone to behave that way? Anytime I've entered the realm of "holy cow this should be private" I message or call the person and do not mention on FB in real-time.

The attention-seeking sounds about right...she is "always" right and very few people...actually, now that I think back...she looks up to no one. Guess she is the brightest and the best, then.

I found her & I to relate really well but it seems that in order to save face, she has to look like the one who is "in control" when in realilty, she's a little wild but doesn't want the world to know about it.

Well, good thing is I am no longer living in that area and it'll be easy to erase her and a few others who I thought had good intentions, but they really are just empty gossip-mongers who can't seem to respect people.

I had warnings I should have heeded...earlier FB posts which, again, painted me in an un-flattering light and her as "in control".

Thanks again - interested how other people have handled these odd situations. Oooh, I hate betrayal!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 AM

Default Couldn't wait - had to unfriend

When I read it again, no...no reason for that kind of disclosure where all mutual friends can see it.

I replied at the end of her thread: "I'm glad you guys had a good laugh. No worries because we don't need to talk again."

Think that's fair and just.

Whichever poster said "imagine what she says behind your back" - - - I hate to think about it, honestly.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 AM

177 posts, read 408,183 times
I'm sorry, that must have felt horrible. I wonder what prompted her to do that. Do you think that she felt that she was being dumped on? I know I can get a little irritated with friends who just call me to complain. Either way, she shouldn't have done what she did. Hope you're in better spirits today (and that this year is a better year for you)!!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
When I read it again, no...no reason for that kind of disclosure where all mutual friends can see it.

I replied at the end of her thread: "I'm glad you guys had a good laugh. No worries because we don't need to talk again."

Think that's fair and just.

Whichever poster said "imagine what she says behind your back" - - - I hate to think about it, honestly.
You did the right thing.

I hope 2013 is a better one for you. And for her, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships