Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,667 times

Advertisements

Yes, I also know several people who do this, both men and women. I find it rude, regardless of the reasons (ADHD, narcissism, technology, etc). What I'm also experiencing is when I go into an office setting and ask someone a question and they don't look up from their computer while answering or while I am talking. VERY rude. It's almost as bad as having a conversation with someone who answers their cell phone in the middle of the conversation. I'm sorry, but IMO basic manners have gone out the door these days. Lots of bad communication behaviors out there.

Back to the OP. I know one guy in particular that I interact with on a regular basis who continually interrupts me, changes the topic after the first sentence and talks over me. I've given it some thought since it's so consistent, and I think it's due to his need to control all conversations. He can't stand it if a woman starts a conversation and he's not controlling it. Well, that's my 2 cents. Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Some people have very agile minds and grasp things quickly. They skim books and get the general idea. They are not "in-depth" thinkers. They can anticipate the end of a statement or question and have their reply ready before the other person has even finished their sentence.

Other people have much deeper minds and take more processing time. They read carefully and learn things thoroughly. They speak in a organized, formal manner that has a pre-determined endpoint and they take their time getting to it.

These two types clash. The fast people get impatient waiting for the end of what they consider an excessively long speech, and the deeper people get frustrated that they can't get their point across in the style they prefer.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I will be interesting to see the responses on this topic.
This is so me. My mind moves on so quickly and is so easily distracted. art of it is that I am afraid I will forget my thought so I blurt it out. Im pretty sure it is some form of adult attention deficit disorder. It as to be irritating as hell to everyone around me - I am trying to focus - stay on topic and listen. It is hard.
ditto for me

Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Some people have very agile minds and grasp things quickly. They skim books and get the general idea. They are not "in-depth" thinkers. They can anticipate the end of a statement or question and have their reply ready before the other person has even finished their sentence.

Other people have much deeper minds and take more processing time. They read carefully and learn things thoroughly. They speak in a organized, formal manner that has a pre-determined endpoint and they take their time getting to it.

These two types clash. The fast people get impatient waiting for the end of what they consider an excessively long speech, and the deeper people get frustrated that they can't get their point across in the style they prefer.
I wonder why you say they are not "indepth" thinkers...? Just cause they don't have to explain or draw out the whole field of "where" they came up with a concept?

Some people also have an ability called telepathy, they don't need you to complete your sentances: sorry;
Been there done that.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My husband is like that. I'll start to talk and I barely open my mouth when he'll interrupt with something totally different. I can never have a conversation with him, no back and forth.

Also, he doesn't see why he should have to stop and pay attention to what I'm saying if he's doing something. He just continues on and doesn't even look up. He says, "I can hear you." Well, it feels disrespectful and like I shouldn't even bother talking.

I think it's ADD or ADHD with him. He is older, way past the age when this could have been diagnosed when he was a kid in school. I've done some reading and he fits the ADHD profile. People like that usually can't pay attention long enough to do anything unless they are REALLY interested--that fits dh. He can pay attention to airplanes and cars and he is very knowledgeable about them. I read that people like this can excel in their careers IF it's one of those few areas in which they are passionate and can pay attention. That's how he is. He's retired but he still fixes people's cars and has put an airplane engine together!

Try to discuss anything with him and he's too anxious to get out the door or onto the next thing he wants to do. (which is cars or airplanes.)
Ugh, sounds like my husband. My husband is definitely ADHD. I'd like it if he could take meds for it. I think it would help him because he actually misses out on a lot. He is on other meds though for blood pressure and I wouldn't want him to tact on more. Im not big on drugs really but he definitely would benefit if he could. He is also hard of hearing so sometimes Im not sure which is the problem when he doesnt hear what I say, the ADHD or the hearing issue. I will be honest, it tires me out and sometimes I just dont even bother repeating what I said. I also find he claims to have told me things when he hasnt. Its like he thinks about it but it doesnt translate to his mouth.

He drives me bonkers when we go out to make a large purchase together such as car. Otherwise I buy everything else my own. He is hyper so he will ask the salesperson a question and before the poor soul can answer him, my husband is interrupting and asking the second question without knowing the answer to the first question yet! We do a lot of home improvement projects together which is amazing we havent killed each other yet. He is very good and focused on what he is doing but he needs a magnetic vest because he will set down a tool and then ask me to find it. I look around for the damn hammer, he sees it before me, picks its up and starts using it but doesnt bother to say he found it. I turn around and tell him I cant find it and he is already using it and setting it back down in some place he wont know where in the next 5 min. My son is now a teen so guess who gets to help dad? Yep, I throw my poor son to the wolves. Now I hear my son complaining from the other room "DAD..its right there!"

Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 AM

23 posts, read 36,558 times
There is one person that I am willing to give my full, complete, undivided attention to regardless of the judgmental, hypocritical vibes I get. It is emotionally distressing for me to be with this person and feel comfortable enough to give them what they really deserve because I don't think they take me seriously. I am however willing to give it a "Real Shot". UKWUR-DM

Once I fire, I stick to my guns...

Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
I have ADD ....it was adult diagnosted and it explained alot of my problems in school.
My mind will go a million miles an hour and just as many different directions.

It is very difficult it concentrate on just one thing at a time. I have to make a effort to do this.

Trust me, we don't mean to be rude and if someone isn't aware that they are doing this, they don't know they are.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
hmmm, interesting topic.
But now let's talk about pie....

Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracysam View Post
hmmm, interesting topic.
lol :d

Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
hmmm, interesting topic.

I like pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships