Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times

Advertisements

Anyone heard of the Zeek Rewards scam that got shut down last year? I was asked to join that MLM, but politely declined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:16 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,378 times
I ignore them or politely tell them I'm not interested. I know all about MLM and it's a terrible scheme.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm sure you've had it happen before. You are minding your own business, at lunch, at the gym, or having coffee, and someone starts chatting you up. They seem nice enough, but the conversation turns toward making money. If you've actually allowed them to visit with you a second time, you soon learn it's Amway, Quixtar, some health product, or other stuff which is sold "pyramid" style.

The first time this happened to me, it was at the gym, and this was a while back. The guy and his wife were in similar work. That's why I agreed to talk to them. Upon talking to them afterward, it was Amway.

After that, I typically brushed them off. With more recent approaches, I've raised my voice to bring attention to them. Lately, I think I've perfected a "do not approach me" vibe if in the usual places where this is bound to happen.

What have you done?
I have a brother who is a salesman. I used to be able to talk to my brother about random things. Nowadays all I hear is, "_____, I have this wonderful opportunity for you! This is a great chance for you to make over $250,000 a month!" When I hear that line or some other variation of exaggerated BS, I quickly tell him to ---- off. He's involved in that Vemma crap.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:51 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,024 times
This happened to me recently off of Meetup.com. I thought the lady was being nice and looking to network. In the end, she was seeking people to buy-in and sell Rodan & Fields (Pro-Active) anti-aging line. ($1,000 to start-up with this amazing opportunity!) I tried to get off the phone with her a few times and finally started getting sarcastic, refuting all her claims. She was so fake and finally ended the conversation. These people are effn annoying!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 AM

63 posts, read 132,760 times
I have a close male friend that spent 10 years in a synthetic oil MLM, making it to "premiere direct jobber". Two years ago after getting so in debt he could barely get by, he walked away from the business completely. He is still trying to recover financially. MLM's are dangerous, period.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
I've never been approached by a stranger with an MLM. Friends and family? that's a different story. I had a good friend invite me over to their house to "hang out" one night. They invited just about everyone they knew. It was all so they could pitch "Organic Gold" coffee. As they put the propaganda film in, I couldn't believe it. I got a strong sense that I was the only one in the room who knew that this was just another pyramid scheme. My first introduction to these was in the early 90's (Herbalife). I can't understand how people still fall for these. They have been around for at least 3 decades. So that was a few months ago. Well, last week a family member hits me up on facebook for advocare. I just ignored the message, but it just floors me how these things aren't losing any steam. One disappears, 10 take it's place. smh

But while I have every one's attention. I'd like to talk to you all *looks up and away* about a good opportunity for you and your loved ones. We all have dreams. I know I do! I'd like to talk to you about an exciting opportunity that people are talking about.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I had a good friend invite me over to their house to "hang out" one night. They invited just about everyone they knew. It was all so they could pitch "Organic Gold" coffee.
You have deswcribed what pisses so many people off about the "so called opportunity". They (the ones who try to recruit us) are never upfront about it. It is always a lie to invite someone and then they pitch. If they were upfront about it, mlm would not have such a bad name as it has now.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Went to some dive bar once with a buddy. Guy sitting at the bar starts talking to us. He seemed normal. Starts talking about cars. Then says he uses such and such additive. How great it works, blah, blah, blah.... Figured he was just a motorhead.

Then he says how much he makes selling it. My buddy and I knew the pitch was coming. Sure enough another MLM product being shoved in your face. But who expects it in a dive bar.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I'm not as open to random chitchat as I used to be as I've learned that if somebody talks to me, they usually want something.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:50 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
I got approached once almost 20 years ago, by this good looking woman. She looked great, so I tried my "MLM" on her too. She didn't like me as her "upline" so she disappeared. I guess they must have an internal Memo "dont approach this guy" because I haven't anyone come to me in the last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships