Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM

141 posts, read 234,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
There is no doubt often a divide among males, Especially ones who have been friends for a long time and some marry and have families while ones that don't at that point may have a hard time understanding that time and life situations shift. I think the OP may be referring to this. One's family and children must be a priority. Going out every weekend and raising hell does not fit in anymore. Sure, it's great to wake up in a dumpster in Bangkok when young and live to tell about it. But as we age, The risks increase. it becomes less relevant.

And once in the mid-30's, it's not appealing at all for most in general.

Did the OP say anything about rasing hell and going out every weekend? All he said was he has more fun. Nothing more than that.

Stop with the extremes.

I'm 38 and STILL HAVE fun and it has nothing to do with "raising hell" or that other nonsense you mention in the drivel called a post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
I'm talking middle people here.

Seems like even though I am white collar, I enjoy hanging with my blue collar friends more.
They seem to have the coolest interests: hunting, off roading, hiking, camping, photography, flying Cesna's,etc....

My white collar friends are the typical yuppies: they only like "nice" resturants, movies and their lives rotate around their children. They seem not to have ANY hobbies of interest. "Date night" is the highlight of their lives. Their conversations are boring and it's all about putting on the image of being "high class". Social status is what's important to my white collar friends.

Have you ever noticed this difference with white collar and blue collar people?
I suppose there are different types of white collar groups. I imagine the conversations of white collar scientists and Phd professors would be quite stimulating and they would probably find the "Action Jackson" types a tad limiting.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
I agree with OP! Blue collar people and I will group in people from poor countries as well, well they know how to have a good time. My white collar friends are so boring and dull, I hope I never turn into that even though I'm going into a white collar profession.

my white collar friends: skiing, going to very expensive restaurants/bars, maybe drink a glass of wine, no dancing, gossiping, staring at people, talk negatively about what someone else is wearing, typically go home around midnight on a weekend

blue collar friends hobbies: dancing, can enjoy themselves in any kind of restaurant or bar, less picky with food, more into music, funnier, better at having conversations, they are also less shy/awkward than my white collar friends.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
I agree with the poster who said you need to find different white-collar friends. They are not all boring or snobby.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times
I don't have any blue collar friends, but I have socialized with blue collar people. My observations:

White collar people have more interesting hobbies and interests (to me): More likely to have traveled to various countries, gone away to college, have hobbies like running, cycling, tennis, triathlons. They are also more well read and more likely to see off the beaten path films. Lastly, they are more politically aware and engaged. On the other hand, it's true they are more into status which is not something I'm into.

Blue collar people are nice, but I guess I just don't have much in common with most of them.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I agree with the poster who said you need to find different white-collar friends. They are not all boring or snobby.
Definitely not! Since I am one of them ... :P

Speaking in absolutes (ALL white collars are snobby; ALL blue collars are laid back) won't work. It's just not true.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Cpg, I am a white collar guy with a college degree. However, talk about pounding the nail in the wood way too hard and totally shattering the two by four as well! That describes your post. It is obvious you just despise blue collar people and may also be a bit of a snob. As for me, I think I do OK with both types. I would probably rather hang with the blue collars at a sports bar or casual backyard BBQ, but enjoy a coffeehouse, discuss politics or go to a nice restaurant with white collar people. I certainly make exceptions to that, though and try not to categorize people too much. I certainly hope you don't share this opinion with your plumber or auto mechanic!! They are people, too. All law abiding people are worthy of respect...values passed on to me by my parents.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
The only other thing I would add is white collar people can be intelligent, but if they are also conceited that erases most of my interest. If I meet a new white collar person that starts bragging ad nauseum like they are the most intelligent person you will ever meet (etc), I'll challenge them to a game of chess. Almost every time they will say "Sure, but it has been soooo long since I last played. I may have even forgotten some of the rules." It is sure an easy way to spot pseudo intellectuals or to be more blunt...phony people. Some blue collars are not perfect either. There are the BC guys that think the guy that uses the most swear words or brags about picking up the most women or downing the most alcohol back in the day twenty years ago or so is the most popular and interesting. I find this to only happen on occasion, though. Most people I have met (both blue and white collar) have been pleasant. The above are the exceptions. Life is too short. Enjoy people from different walks of life.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I have a white collar day job, but a very blue collar vocation to which I also devote quite a lot of time. I count friends in both groups.

But... my blue collar friends have a lot more energy. They are more physically active, and as another noted, much easier to please. My white collar friends are relatively sedentary. Oh, sure, they may go to the gym several times a week. They may even ski a bit, but they cannot come close to the energy of my blue collar friends. I'm high energy myself, so tend to spend more time with those who are also active.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Interesting thread. There are no absolutes in life however there are certain generalizations that tend to be true, IMO. I grew up in a blue collar household and lived in a working class town. There is a down to earth realness among blue collar types. Favors done in exchange for beer and helicopter parents are rare. The flip side is education tends to be low and understanding other cultures and politics can be an issue. My husband grew up the same way I did and although he did go to college for a little while he found much more satisfaction working with his hands. He is intelligent and keeps up on current events, other cultures and most people don't realize he is blue collar until he explains what he does for a living. He does well at his job because he is the go between at work. He instructs on the factory floor but also works with the engineers on what works and what doesnt. I know he feels more comfortable with his blue collar buddies but shares more interests with his white collar friends. I think because his blue collar friends focus their activities on alcohol where his white collar friends golf and do other activities.

Im pretty much in the same boat. I am white collar but there is a comfortable familiarness with women that grew up the same way I did. Im comfortable with working with my hands and dont mind getting dirty. I have a friend that grew up white collar and is completely amazed I know how to paint a room. Most of my blue collar friends are highly creative and we share a love of decorating our homes ourselves. Fixing up furniture, hitting flea markets and so forth is a good time. Some of my white collar friends would find this gross. I have a design degree and a business degree. i work with computers so my interests around technology fit with my white collar friends as they have the disposal income to buy these things. I tend to be tech support for my blue collar friends. Sometimes its kind of hard being stuck between two worlds. My white collar friends tend to be naive about those that struggle financially and my blue collar friends tend to think someone that is educated or lives in a nice area must be a snob.

Like someone else pointed out. Not all blue collar people are dumb and not all white collar are smart. I too know some truly intelligent blue collar types that either didnt have the opportunity for a higher education or it didnt interest them. Then of course there are white collar types that were pretty book smart but dumb as rocks when it comes to real life and common sense. So I say, spend time with those that you have a good time with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships