Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times

Advertisements

lots of people have no friends but they wouldn't dare say it out loud because they'd feel something's wrong with them. I'd rather have no friends and know it, than fake, two faced ones. I have many acqaintances and very few true friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM

109 posts, read 278,703 times
Its took me 40 yrs but I've managed to weed thru all my so-called friends... an its been some of the best days on earth.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Just accept yourself as you are. There is no law stating you have to have friends. And believe me, I am in the same boat, always have been this way. My friends tend to be few in number, but they last a long time.

WHile my sociable outgoing sibling has a lot of friends, but he would go through them like a bag of chips. Never having the same friends a year or two later.

You will find kindred souls and all you have to do is be yourself. It gets easier as you get older. Fortunately, I am pretty good at picking my friends. You can be too! I find I have a wide range of friend types, gay, straight, older, younger, lower SEC, PhD's, sober and party animals. It makes life interesting.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,075 times
I only have a few friends.I don't need a large group of people eating up my free time.Invitations to birthdays, weddings, christenings and all that garbage.The friends I have don't do this to me,as most of us are single and they feel the same way.(the women too.Some of their beliefs on those subjects surprise me.)They are trustworthy and reliable and I am honored to know them.I do not need any more friends.
I have cut some friends loose who have tried to involve me in their soap opera style lives.Once again,my free time is too valuable to me for that nonsense.
And besides,after working retail all day,the last thing I want to see at the end of the day is more people.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I think it's as simple as asking whether you feel lonely or a void from not having friends. If the answer is "no," then I don't see a problem. The simple fact is that the world is comprised mostly of extroverted people who do feel lonely if they lack friends. They tend to assume everyone else should have that same need, which creates an atmosphere in which people who do not want friends are seen as outcasts.

It's probably important to differentiate not having friends with not socializing. Those are two completely different things. I would submit that all humans need to socialize. I do not believe that all humans need friends.
I can relate. I fall into the extroverted must have friends category. My husband falls into the he could go the rest of his life and only talk to me category. We're polar opposites but I think he truly enjoys our friendships. I respect his need for solitude and I wind up going to a lot of parties alone. (Actually it works out better for me because I want to stay and close the place down and he wants to leave in an hour.) We all only get one chance to go around and deserve to live a life that suits us best. There's nothing wrong with being content being alone.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
It sounds like you are doing good things for yourself (pursuing your education) and are content with your life the way it is. Sometimes for mother's it's hard not to worry about our kids, even when there's really nothing to worry about. What matters is how you feel about the quality and direction of your life. If you're OK with it, I'd reassure your mom and not worry about it.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
I don't have friends,but my problem is a little different: no one wants to be my friend.
Not sure why though.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't have friends,but my problem is a little different: no one wants to be my friend.
Not sure why though.
Have you asked why?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
Normally I'm calm, meaning I'm not really hyper or happy, I'm usually just quiet and reserved.
LOL if you ever want to meet a nice quiet, reserved boy I can hook you up with my son. He's graduating high school this year and has a 4-year academic scholarship to a state school.

My wife and I have always encouraged him to go to school dances, friends' parties, and so forth, but he never wants to go. That's just his personality and we are beginning to accept it though we'd really prefer that he would want to socialize more. His one social outlet is sports, being on the baseball and soccer teams gets him out of the house a lot, but usually only for practices and games.

So, based on my personal experience as the father of someone who seems like you in some ways, RH360, it's not weird that you don't have friends and I'd advise you to just keep on keepin' on and be yourself. If being yourself means keeping to yourself, so be it. There will come a time when you'll want to socialize but choose to attend events you will enjoy.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I posted on page 2, but I'll add more. My mom told me long ago that a person has very few friends in life. I'm talking true, genuine, trustworthy ones who like you for you & stand by you through thick & thin.

My favorite aunt died & since my cousin's 3 siblings had passed (another whole sad set of stories), he of course inherited everything...maybe not $1 million's worth, but it's possible. His Facebook page showed tons of pictures of him at parties & always around people, etc., but he let his having a little money get to him & he spent it unwisely & I think a lot of his money is gone & he had to move back in a bad part of town & all his fancy cars are gone. I don't see any new pictures of him with all these people (his so-called friends) anymore. I heard from another relative that no one comes around to visit him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Not sure why though.
I can totally relate. I'm not bragging here, but I'm really one of the sweetest, kindest people anyone will ever know, but people I come across aren't that friendly or want to get to know me. All my interactions with people is just small talk.

I've said this on this board before, but for me, everyone I come across, whether it's at school, work, church, etc. already have their own friernds already & they're really on interested in getting to know me. I portray myself to be nice & friendly, which I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Have you asked why?
How would she ask this to people she doesn't know well without looking like a loser/wierdo/psycho, etc.? Hey, if someone can give me a legit answer to this, I need to try it out with the few acquaintances I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships