U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,330,749 times

Advertisements

I've recently relocated back to my hometown. All of my female friends have gotten married and popped out babies. So, I'm pretty much starting from scratch in the friendship department. I've been attending meet-up groups, but haven't found anyone with similar lifestyle choices as myself. Such as, I'm a health nut, enjoy exercise, cooking and want non-smoking, non-partying-no-alcoholics, acquaintances. Any suggestions where I can meet other health conscious and mentally sane people? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM

377 posts, read 597,170 times
Well there is the gym for the health/exercise aspect, although sometimes that is difficult. What kind of meet ups are you attending? I had difficulty finding like people after I'd been in my town for a few years so I joined a couple of meet ups, one for people new to the area who wanted to explore the city. Even though I wasn't quite new to the area, I hadn't done too many active things around my city. I found that it's easier to make friends with people new to the area, than those established in the area. Since it's your home town if you find a group like this you can make suggestions for places to go or even suggest one on one outings with people at a favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurant, etc.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,620,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I've recently relocated back to my hometown. All of my female friends have gotten married and popped out babies. So, I'm pretty much starting from scratch in the friendship department. I've been attending meet-up groups, but haven't found anyone with similar lifestyle choices as myself. Such as, I'm a health nut, enjoy exercise, cooking and want non-smoking, non-partying-no-alcoholics, acquaintances. Any suggestions where I can meet other health conscious and mentally sane people? Thank you.
I have really tried to hang on to my childhood/teen/young adult (read: no ulterior motive) friends. With each passing decade, I'm less receptive to new friends. It doesn't feel the same, since there's no history with them, particularly if in a different city/region. I've gone to Meetup groups, not specifically to meet people but because the topic interested me, and was open to meeting new people, but Meetups pull in so many random types that it feels kind of synthetic.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM

5,454 posts, read 8,154,006 times
I've always had a hard time making friends my entire life. I've only moved twice in my life & I've always stayed in the same general area. I was a shy, introverted, not very talkative only child who always had just 1 or 2 friends at different times of my life. No, I don't go out much or intentionally seek out friends. I'm used to my life. Sure, it would be nice to have 2 or 3 close friends to go out with every few weeks & talk on the phone with once or twice a week, but so be it.

Good luck making friends. It's tough. Everyonen I meet already has their own friends no matter where I am.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM

3,406 posts, read 7,561,432 times
OP thats a tall order. You could try inviting someone over from your neighborhood/building. Maybe have a glass of wine, coffee, go to the gym together, maybe teach her how to work out properly if she doesn't work out already.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Meeting people in your 30s is tough as that seems seem to be the time when people are getting married and having kids. It's also very hard to find the non-alcoholic and non-partying people who are single and in their 30s and even harder to find people in their 20s like that. Be glad you have Meetup groups around. You can see where I live. We don't have too much of that. I would say just continue with the Meetup groups.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,443,906 times
On the job is best for your age group. If you're not working, consider doing so for the socialization. You can perhaps choose work with a specific concentration of the type of social contacts you seek.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,436,792 times
See if there are any traditional dance groups in your area: contra, English country dance, and/or Scottish country dance. These groups are welcoming and friendly towards inexperienced newcomers, do not require partners, and are inexpensive, as well as alcohol and smoke free (the Scots DO have whisky at their dinner-dances...but they're the exception). Beer and wine show up at the frequent afterparties held following dances, but it's frowned upon to be even slightly under the influence at the dances.

Music is usually live for weekend dances, recorded for weekly dance gatherings (think old-time, bluegrass-related traditional music for contra; baroque for English. Scottish - well, it's Scottish, with traditional **** and reels plus airs for the slower strathspeys).

Groups are located throughout the country, and include lots of people in your age range, particularly the contra groups. Check with the Country Song and Dance Society of America's website for links and more info.

If you find something that sounds as if it might work, wear flat-soled/low-heeled shoes that won't come off or mark the floor, plus comfortable clothing that's neither too casual or dressy. Skirts work well when they're fullish and a bit long - think India gauze - or short with bicycle shorts underneath. Skirts fly up during some faster figures, so keep this in mind. There's a definite dance dress style - check YouTube for good examples. Women can wear jeans, of course, but most prefer rather flowing skirts or dresses, as they help emphasis the movement of the dance.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
On the job is best for your age group. If you're not working, consider doing so for the socialization. You can perhaps choose work with a specific concentration of the type of social contacts you seek.
I know I'm not the OP but this makes no sense.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:31 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,443,906 times
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I know I'm not the OP but this makes no sense.
OK, I'll explain. If the OP wants to gain friendships through the workplace with, say, people who liked to go bar-hopping, then being a secretary at the local Mormon temple probably wouldn't yield drinking pals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships