Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,282,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
God help you if you ever have any really important decisions to deal with. Just walk over and say I'm sorry for not introducing myself sooner, my name is Kelly, or whatever it is. If she's friendly, then chat. If she's not, then say "well, I won't take up any more of your time. Nice meeting you" and leave.
Hmm......don't remember ever saying that I don't have any "really important" decisions to deal with, and I'm not sure exactly how this thread conveys that...just trying to do the right thing and be a nice neighbor.

You have a nice day, ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
I think the simple wave is sufficeint. Both of you have your lives that you are living, it happens.

If the time is right when you can walk over and have a simple conversation, then it will happen.

The same goes for me in my apartment building, I see these 2 guys standing outside the door smoking from time to time, I don't know them, I know they live here, don't know which apartment they live in though, I just wave, a simple whats up?, and move on. I am not looking to hang out with them, nor be friends.

as we all have our lives to go about and sometime really dont have time for small talk. nothing is wrong with that.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
I would just let it happen naturally at this point. When the weather warms, and you see this person outside, wave again...make up some little neighborhood situation, and sidle over and strike up a conversation. Say, maybe you have decided since you are both living near each other, and you felt you should exchange cell numbers in case of emergency. Make up something, then follow through.
And, not meeting your neighbors immediately seems to be pretty common these days.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,755,546 times
How about having a block party or having a party just for the immediate neighbors? Our new neighbors did it to thank every one for being so helpful when they were new to the neighborhood. It was so much fun they do it every year. They weren't shy about talking to all of us. I watched their new kitten about two months after they moved in so they could go on vacation.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM

13,566 posts, read 9,982,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Basically, we have a neighbor across the street that we never introduced ourselves to when she moved in almost a year ago. She never came over to say hi either, so at this point, we have never actually spoken, just waved if we happened to pass each other in our cars in the street. We live in a subdivision that is only partially finished, so there are empty lots on either side of both of our houses and our houses directly face each other. This is so awkward, and I know that it will be more so when the weather gets warm again and we are outside more. I feel like it would be very strange, after almost a year, to go over and say "Hi! Welcome to the neighborhood!", and I know I should have gone over right away when she moved in, but how do I go about meeting this neighbor now that almost a year has passed without looking like a real jerk? It's just too awkward for things to continue like they are now. I don't want to be her best friend or anything, but I feel like I need to at least speak to her. I feel embarrassed that we didn't go over right away when she moved in, but I'm basically very shy and just kept putting it off...for almost a year!

Help!
Hello, I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier, I'm canudigit.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,822,510 times
Bake some cookies or brownies and walk over. Say, "wow how time fly's" and ask them are they enjoying their new house, etc. It'll be fine.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,999,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. I think I do tend to make things like this bigger than they are because I am so naturally shy, so I will just do what you all suggest and when the weather gets warm in a couple of months, if not before, and I see her outside, I will just go on over and say "hi".

Thanks again!
Just go ahead and introduce yourself a soon as you can. She hasn't made a move either so you're even. I lived here 7 years before my next door neighbor finally spoke to me - she didn't have much choice since I basically walked up to her before she could run inside. I'm not scarey looking or anything but I was the "single" woman and I guess that fact was pretty scarey to her

Old 02-01-2013, 03:46 PM

20,325 posts, read 14,547,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Just go ahead and introduce yourself a soon as you can. She hasn't made a move either so you're even. I lived here 7 years before my next door neighbor finally spoke to me - she didn't have much choice since I basically walked up to her before she could run inside. I'm not scarey looking or anything but I was the "single" woman and I guess that fact was pretty scarey to her
Not trying to presume on your situation here, but some folks are just more outgoing and friendly than others. A lot of that is regional, too. You can live someplace in Northern VA for decades and never know your neighbors. In some regions it's expected to know them all, and weird if you don't. I just moved into a house, the first one we've actually purchased, and no one has waved, or smiled, or introduced themselves or anything. The old folks who lived there before knew everybody. We've been there since early November with not a peep from any neighbor.

I sometimes wonder if we've been judged by these people...the first night we moved, my husband had some Army guy friends over to help and he got them drunk afterwards ("payment in beer") and they were sitting in the garage smoking cigs, laughing and talking. I found it annoying, being a non-drinker, but don't know if my neighbors formed an opinion based on that. Oh well.

Then again, in this state it is assumed that everyone has a dog, so maybe they are all waiting for me to walk ours (which we don't have) to find the chance to strike up a conversation? lol I dunno.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,542,487 times
So, have you taken the giant leap yet?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 PM

123 posts, read 180,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
God help you if you ever have any really important decisions to deal with. Just walk over and say I'm sorry for not introducing myself sooner, my name is Kelly, or whatever it is. If she's friendly, then chat. If she's not, then say "well, I won't take up any more of your time. Nice meeting you" and leave.

It is unfortunate that Claudhopper felt that the response to you had to contain a rude comment. [quote=claudhopper;28039371] "God help you if you ever have any really important decisions to deal with." Considering that you already stated that you are shy, you didn't need or deserve that. You are just trying to be friendly in a very hard world. I hope that it works out and that you gain a good neighbor and friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships