U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 AM

5,690 posts, read 4,780,983 times

Advertisements

Hershey, yes I have health insurance through my former employer's retirement plan. I will still have to sign up for Medi-care when I am 65, but employer will pay the supplemental plan, with deductibles and co-pays required of course.

I thank everyone for their thoughtful replies. I think I have my solution. I appreciate the input and suggestions to my original question. I think the broad array of opinions expressed is an interesting cross-section of the feelings people have shown toward early retirees. I'm going to check out now.

Mods, feel free to shut 'er down if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,570,529 times
BTW, varies by state, but here in Cali and even in your late 50's, you can find private full coverage insurance plans, albeit with a high deductible, for around $300/mo.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM

29,749 posts, read 34,787,960 times
For us part of the reaction came from transplanting and other reasons. Where we came from it was not unusual for folks to retire in their mid to late 50's. Upon transplanting it became much more unusual and that along with other regional factors made us even more so. Now that we are in our mid 60's it really doesn't become anywhere near a topic of reactions. In fact we are now complemented by others who say when they are our age they want to be just like us. Another factor is/was the economic conditions when you retired. With the great recession it became confusing who was retired and who was out of work and saying they were retired. Who retired financially secure and who retired because of circumstance and were on shakey ground. Who is retired and who doesn't work, hmmmmm?

Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM

10,285 posts, read 11,184,525 times
Well, when people tell me they are retiring I generally give them my condolences because it pretty much sounds like the worst thing in the world to me.

Still, you're not here to please other people. You could always say, "I volunteer at the library" or "I serve on several nonprofit boards" or whatever it is that really occupies your time now. I suppose envy is a common human trait, but whoever has the job you used to do should be glad you were able to retire--it opened up a job for someone who needed it.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 PM

11,118 posts, read 10,156,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I suppose envy is a common human trait, but whoever has the job you used to do should be glad you were able to retire--it opened up a job for someone who needed it.
Very true. It shouldn't be common but it has certainly become the norm in today's world. It's definitely one of the seven deadly sins, though.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,640,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Hershey, yes I have health insurance through my former employer's retirement plan. I will still have to sign up for Medi-care when I am 65, but employer will pay the supplemental plan, with deductibles and co-pays required of course.

I thank everyone for their thoughtful replies. I think I have my solution. I appreciate the input and suggestions to my original question. I think the broad array of opinions expressed is an interesting cross-section of the feelings people have shown toward early retirees. I'm going to check out now.

Just stop reading and responding and we'll all stop. But I think most of the replies were well intended and trying to help, beyond what you asked...

Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 PM

4,485 posts, read 8,124,161 times
Great post. I never even saw this section of City Data before but someone mentioned this thread in the Retirement section.

First of all, congratulations. I think anyone that is able to retire earlier in life made some GREAT decisions, had some lucky breaks (good health, good timing, no divorces, etc) , were very hard workers, and relatively good/great investors.

Call me crazy but one of my goals very early in life was to be able to retire early in life if I wanted. I'm one of those guys that kind of made a short-term AND long-term plan when I was still in college. I remember reading about the power of compound interest while I was in high school and thought that was the best thing in the world!

As mentioned, I think you have to have a combination of all of those things I mentioned above. I'd say I had all of those things. I worked EXTREMELY hard immediately after graduating college. Was very fortunate that I had great jobs where I made great money. I made great investment choices and then I started a few companies that were very successful as well. I even moved to foreign countries to try to take advantage of arbitrage opportunities. Looking back, some risky stuff that worked out well and it could have turned out badly.

I don't think you need to worry about what others think. But at the same time I know what you mean. I used to work up to 16-17 hour days. Extremely stressful with non-stop work. One of my companies I had 50 employees and any business owner that has employees knows that you have tons to worry about with HR issues when you own your own firm. I don't care if you have an HR department.

Now I work about 4 or 5 hours a day and it truly feels semi-retired to me. I consider myself semi-retired and probably could retire if I wanted. I'm in a unique situation because I have very young kids (4 and 3 year olds) so I have a LOT of years ahead of me where I'll have high expenses.

I LOVE the feeling of being able to spend so much time with my kids. I live near the ocean/beach and go to the beach a few times a week. I regularly go out with friends to lunch and dinner several times a week. Take my kids to swimming, ballet, horse riding lessons, etc. Since my kids were born we have spent 100+ days a year traveling around the world. (Admittedly now that my daughter will start Kindergarten next year we will only travel around her holidays).

I pondered the idea of going back to work for someone else but honestly I'm not sure I can do it now that I truly have tasted "early retirement". It's great doing whatever you want, being able to go to Home Depot in the middle of the day or not deal with rush hour traffic ever.

But I understand what you're saying.... even when I fully decide to retire I doubt I'd say I am semi-retired and the truth is I'll always work a few hours per day. I couldn't imagine not working at all.

Congratulations. NOTHING beats the feeling of being able to retire earlier in life. Like you, I'm certainly not bragging but I'm very proud of myself for being in this position. Especially today when it's very difficult.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,570,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Well, when people tell me they are retiring I generally give them my condolences because it pretty much sounds like the worst thing in the world to me.

Still, you're not here to please other people. You could always say, "I volunteer at the library" or "I serve on several nonprofit boards" or whatever it is that really occupies your time now. I suppose envy is a common human trait, but whoever has the job you used to do should be glad you were able to retire--it opened up a job for someone who needed it.
It's probably more than a bit of ego, but I also feel a certain ''pride'' in being able to retire, especially early (aka, get along without a job). Because in some ways, it's also a measure of achievement in ones career and ability to manage life... after all, the simple fact is that not everyone is able to accomplish it! Although I suppose ''dismissing'' retirement is also probably understandable, especially if one has no other choice!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,314,565 times
I'm late to this thread, but I'd just tell people that you're between jobs. That may cause them some embarrassment, as some will think you were laid off. If they ask further, tell them you're exploring your options. You don't have to tell them one of your job options is retirement. Besides, you might decide later to work part-time or work in some other capacity.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,679,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

Threads take on lives of their own. By now people are talking as much to each other as to you as the OP; they are simply continuing the conversation on the excellent topic you brought up. Nothing wrong with your "checking out", but it's a mistake to think that we own and control a thread just because we started it. There is absolutely no reason for a mod to close this thread just because you have gotten what you wanted from it. Threads are closed because they are out of control in terms of compliance with the rules, such as when they become extended flame wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships