Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 AM

845 posts, read 1,349,308 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate doing that but I've tried to fix this problem and to no avail. It has prevented me to meeting new people and possible dates. The thing is assuming how a conversation goes way before it happens.

I know that most people won't acknowledge this problem but any advice, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I don't understand your question.

Are you talking about self-defeating behavior?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I don't understand your question.

Are you talking about self-defeating behavior?
Exactly, or just assuming a conversation will go badly before it even happens. It just sucks, I walked out of bar on singles night because I assumed all the girls wouldn't be interested or already found a date.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
So you din't even try to talk to anyone on singles night? Love your user name-everytime I see it I end up singing the theme song from the old Top Cat cartoon.TOPCAT!!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Remind yourself to give people a chance to be themselves - not the role you've cast them in. Be genuinely interested in them, listen to them and you will find that everyone can and will surprise you.

And if that's too big of a step - make it a bet. Go ahead and have your imaginary conversation, but then go have a real one where you put aside your assumptions and are open to accepting others, and then afterwards compare that to how you thought they'd be.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
So you din't even try to talk to anyone on singles night? Love your user name-everytime I see it I end up singing the theme song from the old Top Cat cartoon.TOPCAT!!
Thanks, that was a favorite of mine, too.

As for the singles night, yeah I made it a bust. I got a beer, looked around, chugged the beer down and left. I usually open up more with a little liquid courage, but no dice. Then again I let my window of opportunity become pretty small.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
mitopcat...sometimes I do that...and I always find things went waaaay better than I had figured they would. I think sometimes it's easy to assume the worst, though inevitably, it's never as bad as you think..So just be brave and you'll find out it's true..goodluck.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
It sounds like a cognitive "bad habit". Can be difficult to break those by yourself. Perhaps a session or two of therapy, and you may be able to find a better cognitive habit for dealing with potentially difficult situations.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM

112 posts, read 308,710 times
I used to do that. I would anticipate what I would say, what the other person would say, then how I would respond, then how they would respond. And I would do through the entire conversation. I could actually get into a fight with a person in my head.
One day I told some one about this and his response was "wow. wouldn't life be much more interesting if you lived it instead of just thinking you did???"
I started "living in the moment" and although it was difficult it worked. Life is much better in the present.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:35 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,702 times
Stop thinking about it so much, who cares if you bomb? move on to the next one, one person wont get your humor, then someone else will make you genuinely laugh...which I bet you didnt think was even possible. In that case things will flow.

I always say to myself....Youll probably never see these people again anyways.

sounds like your over analyzing things.....the last thing you want to do in a bar where most people are living in the moment.

Most of my bar conversations come out of thin air over some stupid comment or a question.

example that happened to me maybe a month ago: Im standing across the bar having my beer, theres 2 chicks drinking their drinks standing at the bar, both enjoying themselves. im about 5 feet away from them minding my own business. We make eye contact a couple times, shes smiling, im smiling yada yada..... She looks at me and says "are you watching me?" me being me i say with a smile, "yea I am".......Sounds creepy here in text but thats all it took and I hung out with these two chicks for the rest of the night and had a great time.

So dont assume things... I view that as a negative attitude, and thats not the best mind state to be in when you make approaches, Be light, happy, sarcastic, and honest...and for the love of god, [try to] REMEMBER their name and use it. It makes a big impression. Dont go crazy with it, but when you part your ways its a must, even if it sounds over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships