U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,224,785 times

Advertisements

When I was younger I accepted everything my mother said and did as gospel. We never argued with her or stood up for ourselves. No matter how far off the wall the subject.
What really made me stop to think was when she refused to come n see me in hospital or even visit my son who was in nicu for weeks. But yet recently my nephew who is 25 was in hospital and within a day she was visiting him. When asked why she didn't visit me, her response was that she wasn't invited and she wasn't told to visit my son
I cannot get the image of a 9 year old wandering streets looking for attention I matter howit comes, is something that is hard to put aside. As a parent, I cannot fathom how this would happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,554,226 times
I am sorry about the relationship with your mom and the abuse you have faced. I have similar feelings with my mom and it makes me feel so many emotions from sad,anger,guilt,I could go on. I have a few questions for you. In therapy are you talking about the guilt you feel and also have you talked about the abuse you faced?
I know you stated you don't want to talk to your mom about how you feel and this may sound stupid but have you thought of writing a letter to her which you don't have to send but it helps you get out the feelings you have. It also may help you make more connections. I did similar which I did not send and actually one letter I did read to my mom. It did not change or have her acknowledge anything but it did help me in healing. I also wonder if you work in therapy on the guilt you feel and how to cope with this it may help you feel better.
For me with my mom I am trying to change the way I view things and her in general. Most things I can't change and she is not willing to. I do hope to be able to have a better relationship with my mom but with that I have to come to a better acceptance of everything.
Sorry I am not of more help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships