Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,326,991 times

Advertisements

Here's some questions I've wondered about for a long time. They all have to do with relating to others, so it's going on this forum. I know that most goals are based off illogical emotions and therefore cannot be explained to those who do not share such illogical emotions, but can anyone relate to having wondered similar things?

*Why would anyone search for someone to meet to enter into a romantic relationship with? I've never understood that. Looking for friends makes sense to me, who might eventually become romantic partners. Looking for simple sex makes sense to me...not as part of a romantic relationship - though it's not necessarily healthy and entails many potentially psychologically damaging risks and diseases and potential unwanted pregnancies and such, it still feels good so the urge for one night stands is at least understandable. I've never understood why anyone would desire to search specifically for a romantic partner though.

*Why don't more people talk to themselves?
It sounds weird, but it's always been a genuine question. Talking to myself is a little mistake I make all the time. I should watch for it, but sometimes I miss it. I don't mean stuff like saying, "dang it." I mean stuff like saying, in public, "No Jimmy. I haven't cooked the beans yet," that basically comes from thinking about a conversation but temporarily forgetting that you are, in fact talking out loud rather than inside your head.

*Why don't more people wander around aimlessly alone?
This is another weird one, like the above one. However, whereas talking to oneself is a flaw, this does not appear to be a flaw. I like going on walks. I'm not talking about hikes through woods (though I like those too) I'm talking about wandering around the neighborhood aimlessly, perhaps to more effectively think or just to get outside.

*Regarding to the two above, it's always seemed like everyone's these plastic, flawless, Barbie/Ken robots, genetically engineered and mechanically augmented to perfection. Even when most people do act weird, it always seems like it's it be counterculture, to impress their peers. Anyone else have to work hard not to look like a loon? Anyone else, when alone indoors, wander around in circles for say, an hour, because it allow you to think more clearly?

*Why would anyone want to live with another person for their entire life? I could understand being around thousands of people for a week or, but with even one person, after a month I'd want to get away from that person for a couple weeks without that person.

*Why do people seem worry about being hurt so much? This one might be because I've never been in a romantic relationship. I could understand it if it were just men in deep, committed relationships who worried about being hurt, or women in any stages. With women, there's the risk of date rapes and pregnancies and all sorts of horrible things, and deeper staged commitments inevitably involve much investment, but what about the guys just looking around for someone? (Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. Being more careful might show that you'd take the relationship more seriously, which would likely be better for the other person).

*Why do people ask, "Is behavior X normal?" Why don't they instead ask, "is behavior X healthy?" Why would anyone care whether or not behavior X is normal or not, unless they're merely curious?

Feel free to list what common, routine behaviors others have that you don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,053,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Here's some questions I've wondered about for a long time. They all have to do with relating to others, so it's going on this forum. I know that most goals are based off illogical emotions and therefore cannot be explained to those who do not share such illogical emotions, but can anyone relate to having wondered similar things?

*Why would anyone search for someone to meet to enter into a romantic relationship with? I've never understood that. Looking for friends makes sense to me, who might eventually become romantic partners. Looking for simple sex makes sense to me...not as part of a romantic relationship - though it's not necessarily healthy and entails many potentially psychologically damaging risks and diseases and potential unwanted pregnancies and such, it still feels good so the urge for one night stands is at least understandable. I've never understood why anyone would desire to search specifically for a romantic partner though. It's the concept of having a trusted companion, And hoping for the positive that comes with it.Someone as a partner to share love and support as opposed to just fleeting encounters that carry only value for a night or whatever. A casual encounter physically carries usually more risks physically as it is when one is going through multiple partners.

*Why don't more people talk to themselves?
It sounds weird, but it's always been a genuine question. Talking to myself is a little mistake I make all the time. I should watch for it, but sometimes I miss it. I don't mean stuff like saying, "dang it." I mean stuff like saying, in public, "No Jimmy. I haven't cooked the beans yet," that basically comes from thinking about a conversation but temporarily forgetting that you are, in fact talking out loud rather than inside your head.
Well, We all do this in our head so it's likley just the same as verbalizing it provided we understand what we are getting at saying to ourselves.

*Why don't more people wander around aimlessly alone?
This is another weird one, like the above one. However, whereas talking to oneself is a flaw, this does not appear to be a flaw. I like going on walks. I'm not talking about hikes through woods (though I like those too) I'm talking about wandering around the neighborhood aimlessly, perhaps to more effectively think or just to get outside. [b][/BI am an expert here on this one. It's relaxing, especially on a nice day to let the mind wander as well as the body, Unburdened by having to always have a destination. We might find something new like a restaurant or even an observation of something we have missed despite walking the same road 100 times or more. The comfort of nothing and spirit of exploration even if it's close to home. I used to wander around from morning until night on my days off.

*Regarding to the two above, it's always seemed like everyone's these plastic, flawless, Barbie/Ken robots, genetically engineered and mechanically augmented to perfection. Even when most people do act weird, it always seems like it's it be counterculture, to impress their peers. Anyone else have to work hard not to look like a loon? Anyone else, when alone indoors, wander around in circles for say, an hour, because it allow you to think more clearly? Because society has placed a "norm" on what people should be. Those who dare to shun this and not worry are independent thinkers and often creative. They know Ambercrombie and Fitch does not make people. We have our views, physical flaws, ideals and interests that do not involve standard pop culture or flavor of the moment. And we should. I am not a fan of fake trendy people myself. be real. Be raw.

*Why would anyone want to live with another person for their entire life? I could understand being around thousands of people for a week or, but with even one person, after a month I'd want to get away from that person for a couple weeks without that person. Again, the companionship and love and support factor.

*Why do people seem worry about being hurt so much? This one might be because I've never been in a romantic relationship. I could understand it if it were just men in deep, committed relationships who worried about being hurt, or women in any stages. With women, there's the risk of date rapes and pregnancies and all sorts of horrible things, and deeper staged commitments inevitably involve much investment, but what about the guys just looking around for someone? (Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. Being more careful might show that you'd take the relationship more seriously, which would likely be better for the other person). Because it is human nature to self-preserve and protect. however living and growing requires risk and these experiences can be important toward growth. even physically the body will compensate and change to ensure survival where necessary and the mind has coping mechanisms as well.

*Why do people ask, "Is behavior X normal?" Why don't they instead ask, "is behavior X healthy?" Why would anyone care whether or not behavior X is normal or not, unless they're merely curious? Good point here, i agree.

Feel free to list what common, routine behaviors others have that you don't understand.
As for mine, Why do some people repeat bad behavior that has been done to them? Perhaps it is to give a sense of justice, Though we can often become the very thing we hate.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,794,441 times
I can't grasp the need to reproduce that most people have. Yes I know there is a physical drive for sex. And Yes, I know there is a species drive to continue the species. I even get the religious belief, that you're supposed to "go forth and multiply" that some people hold.

But I know soooooo many people who had trouble conceiving, and went through years of emotional and physical pain, plus tens, even hundreds of thousands of dollars, to produce biological offspring.

I've never wanted kids, not even back when I was a kid, but sure, I intellectually "get" the desire to have children. But if you physically can do it "the old fashioned way" why not just find something else to do, or look into adoption?

Too many people I know, even close family members, have this attitude that they wouldn't want to adopt, and "raise someone else's child" or possibly get a "defective" child. So they spent over $100,000 on fertility treatment because their DNA is so special they just have to propagate it.

The way I see it, having a kid biologically is a crap-shoot too; you still might get a "defect" but presumably you love the child anyway, right? I think that even if I wanted to be a parent, and I couldn't get pregnant, I would just channel my nurturing instincts elsewhere, through my work, volunteering, pets, etc. And If I wanted so badly to be a mother, I'd just adopt. After all, you get a kid and none of that exploding uterus business.

Anyway, I recognize that I'm in the minority, and I'm the weird one here. But the norm just seems weird to me.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,072,222 times
Ahhh . . . well . . . my wondering doesn't run as deep as yours. The first three that come to mind are:

1. Why do people wear socks with sandals? The whole point of sandals is to have ventilation. Socks would obstruct the ventilation.

2. Why do people wear shorts and a sweatshirt? If it's warm enough to wear shorts, why does a person need a sweatshirt? If it's cold enough to wear a sweatshirt, why wear shorts?

3. Why do people wear flip-flops when it's 30 degrees or pouring down rain?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:17 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,713,280 times
Why do people insist on handling something over the phone or in person when email will suffice? What's the point of having this technology if we aren't going to use it?

Why do so many people feel the need to give their unasked for opinions when they have no idea what they are talking about? I was taught to keep quiet if I didn't know about something, or ask inquisitively perhaps, in order to clarify or learn something new. I come across so many people every day that just vomit their opinions up on every topic without having the foggiest idea what they are talking about.

Why do people pop their gum loudly or blow their nose loudly in public? These are commonly considered rude, but also very commonly done. Why??

Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,053,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Ahhh . . . well . . . my wondering doesn't run as deep as yours. The first three that come to mind are:

1. Why do people wear socks with sandals? The whole point of sandals is to have ventilation. Socks would obstruct the ventilation. Maybe they want the comfortabilty of Sandals but are self-conscious about their feet.

2. Why do people wear shorts and a sweatshirt? If it's warm enough to wear shorts, why does a person need a sweatshirt? If it's cold enough to wear a sweatshirt, why wear shorts? The upper body is larger and will still retain heat to keep them mostly warm.

i have never seen this, But in the rain having soaked feet like that is awful.

I got one:

Why is it that people go to the fridge, Seen very little food and then return 5 minutes later-As if something materialized from a world beyond in the space of 5 minutes.

Why do people push the little button on traffic crosswalks? It's useless.

Why do people getting ready to board an elevator at the lowest level if you are "going down?" I hope it aint going down at that point.

Why do house cats stare at people like that?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,713,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post

1. Why do people wear socks with sandals? The whole point of sandals is to have ventilation. Socks would obstruct the ventilation.

2. Why do people wear shorts and a sweatshirt? If it's warm enough to wear shorts, why does a person need a sweatshirt? If it's cold enough to wear a sweatshirt, why wear shorts?

I don't get the shorts & sweatshirt combo either. On campus it seems most girls are wearing the itty bitty short shorts with the huge hoodie. Huh?

Flip flops in the rain are *dangerous*! The foot slides one way while the shoes slide another. Can you guess how I know?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:43 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,825,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Why is it that people go to the fridge, Seen very little food and then return 5 minutes later-As if something materialized from a world beyond in the space of 5 minutes.
Just checking to see if anything is more appetizing the second, third and fourth times around

Quote:
Why do people push the little button on traffic crosswalks? It's useless.
Actually many crosswalks won't give you a signal until you push the button. My questions is why people push it 30 times when they're in a rush. The first one is the only one that matters.
Quote:
Why do people getting ready to board an elevator at the lowest level if you are "going down?" I hope it aint going down at that point.
Undisclosed basement.
Quote:
Why do house cats stare at people like that?
They're plotting something!!!

I have a good one. Why do people inch forward at a red light? Is that 2 inches going to get them there any faster?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,794,441 times
I never understood how people could lose things all the time.

I'm not talking about something falling through a hole in your pocket/purse, or a necklace breaking and falling off without your knowledge. Those things can still happen to the best of us.

I'm talking about people who can never find their keys, an important document, a bill, etc, in their own home. I've NEVER misplaced anything in my own home, and I'm not exaggerating. Things have a place, and I put things in their place. Ask me where anything is in my home, and I can quickly locate it. It doesn't make me obsessive-compulsive, and I'm not obsessively neat by any stretch. I just put stuff where it goes.

When I've lived with other people, I've had THEM misplace my things, but I never did.

Just in the last week, I've known people who:
--know they have a gift card for Petsmart someplace, but can't remember where they put it
--came to work late, because they couldn't find their keys
--can't find a sweatshirt they wore just recently
--lost a document I've given then 3 times already, so I had to give them yet a 4th copy
--paid a bill late because they misplaced the bill that came in the mail

I'm just always baffled by people who can't find stuff.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM

20,685 posts, read 19,813,350 times
Why do people let their engine idle forever - isn't gas expensive enough?
Why do people water their yards in the rain? Is the rainwater not good enough?
Why do so many people have awesome yards but never spend any time outside?
How come so many people have expensive houses but ugly old cars?
How come the neighbors dog 5 houses away barks all night since months and I seem to be the only person who can't sleep?
How come the cashiers are super slow and I am much faster on self checkouts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships