U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM
NDL

3,115 posts, read 3,607,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's an opinion, not a fact. Different things.
God does not force religion down anyone's throat. If He did, we'd know about it, for it'd be forced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 PM
NDL

3,115 posts, read 3,607,600 times
Back on topic, I'd like to know how the OP resolved the situation

Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM

520 posts, read 865,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
God does not force religion down anyone's throat. If He did, we'd know about it, for it'd be forced.
I think the poster was referring to you stating that it was a "fact" that God took a certain course of action- obviously for those that don't believe, non-existent entities don't take any action, positive or negative.

OP, your sister's criticism, though totally misguided, hopefully come from a place of love. There are certainly people in the world with worse families than that. She sounds fairly closed-minded, so quoting some scripture that preaches tolerance, though worth a try, certainly isn't guaranteed to change her opinion. All you can do is love her everyday, and be the best sibling you can. If you do your best to be a good person, whether or not she acknowledges it is completely her issue to deal with.

Last edited by lerner; 02-14-2013 at 01:39 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Very true. We are told that He stands outside the door, waiting for us to let Him in. He doesn't kick the door down, lol.

Unfortunately, some people don't seem to understand that the more you talk, the less people are inclined to listen. Seeing how someone lives is probably the best witness to one's religious beliefs, in my opinion.

Berating others and saying they are "bad people" for not attending church is definitely not going to get their attention in a positive way.

What OP's sister doesn't seem to get is . . . as life unfolds, things change . . . and quietly living her life according to the principals of her religion may be enough for him to be interested, at some point, in finding out more.

Nevertheless, recognizing with respect that folks don't always see things the same way -- and may be on very different paths in life -- is the smart course of action, especially with close relationships.

I hope the OP has found a way to make his sister see she is creating a wall between them with her self righteous (albeit good intentioned) attitude.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 AM

582 posts, read 932,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Some of the most hypocritical, manipulative and downright vicious people I have ever encountered in my life sit in church pews EVERY Sunday morning.

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Old 05-11-2014, 12:58 PM

29 posts, read 26,202 times
I am a born-again Christian, and While I do believe There is a God who loves his creation, He cannot stand for evil. With that being said, I have a sister who is gay. While I don't agree with her on this, I have chosen to love her unconditionally. Just because She is gay does not mean I tell her she is a bad person, I don't preach a single word to her. I chose to love her no matter what because that is what Christ living in me, would do. there are some Christians who believe everyone that doesn't go to Church is going to Hell. You know what...That isn't my call to make. That is up to God to decide who is and is not going to Heaven. In finding a strategy to deal with my internal conflict I came across the words of St. Assi where He said, "Preach The Gospel, and if necessary, use words". I tried preaching to my sister...didn't work...so I opted to instead show her love, mercy and compassion. Those things will go a long way to showing anybody, Christian or not, that even an Evangelical Christian like myself can show love. I also tried to find somethings my sister and I both love or can agree on. We both play video games, love movies, etc. I tried to find where we had common ground, so I could love her without coming across to her as a judgmental hypocrite which I am not. and to the poster who said that all Christians are hypocrites...we are not. I just choose to find common ground with everyone. and if someone wants to know more about me or my faith, then I will answer. and Christianity...it's not just a religion, it's a relationship...

Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,099,460 times
Not too long ago I was assured by a religious woman that a serial killer languishing on Death Row who "gave himself to Jesus" would go to Heaven despite his horrendous sins whereas if I didn't do so I was condemned to spend the afterlife in Hell even though I've never hurt a living soul. She was adamant that if I gave myself to Jesus all my problems would be solved and I had a guaranteed passage to Heaven.

I very politely told her that there was no point in continuing the conversation as we would never even remotely agree.

As others have said, just lay your cards on the table. Tell your sister that as much as you respect her beliefs they're not yours and never will be, that you love her nonetheless but that you simply aren't interested in any discussion on the subject. And then stick to it because as long as you get sucked into any discussion she's not going to stop trying to convert you to her way of thinking. It's a totally lost cause.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 AM

23,296 posts, read 17,340,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Not too long ago I was assured by a religious woman that a serial killer languishing on Death Row who "gave himself to Jesus" would go to Heaven despite his horrendous sins whereas if I didn't do so I was condemned to spend the afterlife in Hell even though I've never hurt a living soul. She was adamant that if I gave myself to Jesus all my problems would be solved and I had a guaranteed passage to Heaven.

I very politely told her that there was no point in continuing the conversation as we would never even remotely agree.

As others have said, just lay your cards on the table. Tell your sister that as much as you respect her beliefs they're not yours and never will be, that you love her nonetheless but that you simply aren't interested in any discussion on the subject. And then stick to it because as long as you get sucked into any discussion she's not going to stop trying to convert you to her way of thinking. It's a totally lost cause.
I would absolutely do this. I am not religious and most of my family is. I simply don't bring up religion, as my religion (or lack thereof) is just not something that defines me. I used to enjoy arguing about religion when I was younger, but as I've gotten older, I've found my position to be relatively unimportant and something not worth arguing about.

Religion is one of those topics that can permanently burn bridges when there was no other direct offense.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:35 AM

623 posts, read 599,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
Sometimes I can't stand talking to her. She's so serious and uptight. She can't accept that my beliefs are not hers. I am not religious and have no desire to be. She just thinks it's the worst thing ever.

We can't even laugh and joke like a brother and sister because she's so uptight(sensitive).

She's my only sibling so I try to overlook that. But it gets so old. Tonight I had to hang up on her. She just cannot accpet me for me. I am not a bad guy. I just do not have a desire to practice any religion.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel your pain, my friend. The town I have the misfortune of residing in has a plethora of Mega-Churches. The ones who don't attend a mega church seem to attend various conservative Evangelical churches.

The passive-aggressive condensation one has to deal with when asked what church you go to when the answer is 'I don't' is off the charts.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 AM

734 posts, read 815,104 times
Just tell her that there are alot of bad people who go to church. She will think you are "shading" her and she will stop bugging you about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships