U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 PM

242 posts, read 292,155 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I can't stand talking to her. She's so serious and uptight. She can't accept that my beliefs are not hers. I am not religious and have no desire to be. She just thinks it's the worst thing ever.

We can't even laugh and joke like a brother and sister because she's so uptight(sensitive).

She's my only sibling so I try to overlook that. But it gets so old. Tonight I had to hang up on her. She just cannot accpet me for me. I am not a bad guy. I just do not have a desire to practice any religion.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM

3,752 posts, read 7,482,370 times
You should let her know that you cannot continue to have her disrespect your choices. You are an adult and respect hers and you ask she does the same. If not, you will have to discontinue the relationship (or end the conversation - or whatever you choose). For some reason people do this with religion. I had the same conversation - at least twice - it worked. But, I really meant it.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM

772 posts, read 1,632,131 times
I would invest in a devil/satanic worship book and leave it around for her to notice and see her reaction to noticing it. wait till Saturday and act like you are all into Satan and his religion tel her you are going to the local Satanic church to worship and go get a load on at the local strip-club/bar. when you get home you know she will try to talk you into believing Satan is the devil and will make you all bad and evil and the alcohol will add to effect. repeat the church visit every week for a month on the 6th week don't make the "church visit" let her see that you gave up satanic worship. tell her Satan has made you seen the evil of church and organized religion in general and you will never go to any church again. you could also go get the church bulletin every Sunday and build a pile of them up to make it appear as you went to church. if all else fails Grin and Bear it with a big ole smiley face.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM

43,545 posts, read 52,626,787 times
She's an idiot.
Move on.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,010,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
Sometimes I can't stand talking to her. She's so serious and uptight. She can't accept that my beliefs are not hers. I am not religious and have no desire to be. She just thinks it's the worst thing ever.

We can't even laugh and joke like a brother and sister because she's so uptight(sensitive).

She's my only sibling so I try to overlook that. But it gets so old. Tonight I had to hang up on her. She just cannot accpet me for me. I am not a bad guy. I just do not have a desire to practice any religion.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just cue up Religulous with Bill Maher, f'ing great movie. Oh and remind her that religion was created to explain mysteries while science was still in it's infancy LOL.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM

12,887 posts, read 15,421,155 times
Guess you'll have to grin and bare it, cause she's your sister,,,maybe one day she'll realize that worshiping and praying in a church is not a prerequisite for being a kind and compassionate person...the fact that she's not (towards you) is (I think) for a "religious woman"... hypocrisy...too bad she doesn't realize that.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 PM

3,898 posts, read 2,724,456 times
Quote:
I just do not have a desire to practice any religion.
If you are an agnostic or an atheist, simply tell her that. She can't expect an agnostic or an atheist to go to church. When religious folk want to talk religion with me, I simply say I'm an atheist (with no further elaboration) and they accept that. Well, actually they seem kind of stumped on what to say next.

If you are a believer, tell her it's up to God to judge you, not her, and begin to distance yourself from her if she persists.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM

10,720 posts, read 17,436,891 times
Quote:

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry but sometime friends are more like family than family. There is no excuse to explain your sister's behavior. She doesn't have to approve of your choices but she has to accept you for who you are and if she doesn't do that, she is really not your sister.

But the respect has to be mutual. You have to accept her conservative choices and who she is even if you don't agree with her lifestyle.

That's what conservative people fail to understand. Not everyone approves of their lifestyle or thinks that what they are doing is moral, ethical or right. A lot of evangelicals make this assumption and fail to realize that not everyone sees them the way they see themselves in terms of morality. I have a lot of conservative friends who are very pleasant and we can agree to disagree about a lot of issues.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 PM

18,642 posts, read 23,224,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Sorry but sometime friends are more like family than family. There is no excuse to explain your sister's behavior. She doesn't have to approve of your choices but she has to accept you for who you are and if she doesn't do that, she is really not your sister.

But the respect has to be mutual. You have to accept her conservative choices and who she is even if you don't agree with her lifestyle.

That's what conservative people fail to understand. Not everyone approves of their lifestyle or thinks that what they are doing is moral, ethical or right. A lot of evangelicals make this assumption and fail to realize that not everyone sees them the way they see themselves in terms of morality. I have a lot of conservative friends who are very pleasant and we can agree to disagree about a lot of issues.
I completely agree with you!

The thing is, with these conservative self-righteous Christian fundies, it's their way or you are wong and not "saved". They don't care if they are rude if it's in the service of Christ. They want you to change to be more like them, because THEY are RIGHT!

I find it impossible to deal with the preachy, humorless, people.

There is really nothing he can do to stop them from acting superior or being judgmental.
See, this is what they do best.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,518,479 times
Ask her how she would like it if you constantly harped on her about her beliefs. In other words, give her some Matthew 7:12, "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

Oh, that pesky Golden Rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships