U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:05 PM

338 posts, read 763,897 times

Advertisements

Whether it be spending or time with a significant other, friends, co workers, parents, etc OR alone... which do you prefer? If you are alone often, do you wish it'd change? Or do you think you spend too much time with others and don't enough "me" time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 07:17 AM

8,934 posts, read 6,467,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
Whether it be spending or time with a significant other, friends, co workers, parents, etc OR alone... which do you prefer? If you are alone often, do you wish it'd change? Or do you think you spend too much time with others and don't enough "me" time?
I do wish that could change but I'm not sure if it will or not. My lack of trust in people is at an all-time low. That started with my ex and I breaking up almost 6 years ago and carried through some recent childish backstabbing in work places.

The latter happened again early this week when a co-worker ran her mouth to the boss and bad-mouthed me, stating a rumor that isn't true. I'm new and it's the last thing I need.

Incidents like those mentioned makes me feel that maybe I am better off being alone.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I do wish that could change but I'm not sure if it will or not. My lack of trust in people is at an all-time low. That started with my ex and I breaking up almost 6 years ago and carried through some recent childish backstabbing in work places.

The latter happened again early this week when a co-worker ran her mouth to the boss and bad-mouthed me, stating a rumor that isn't true. I'm new and it's the last thing I need.

Incidents like those mentioned makes me feel that maybe I am better off being alone.
I definitely feel that. Petty things in your day to day life can really get to you sometimes

Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,324,985 times
Quote:
Petty things in your day to day life can really get to you sometimes
I feel exactly like this. I am so disappointed in the poor quality and ill-mannered people I've been meeting lately, that it's better to be lonely than annoyed.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I feel exactly like this. I am so disappointed in the poor quality and ill-mannered people I've been meeting lately, that it's better to be lonely than annoyed.
Yes!!!!!! So much this. You're like my twin right now lol

Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,098,428 times
When I was very young, I noticed that people I admired, often failed to live up to my expectations. It's difficult to know who can be trusted to do what they say they will do, which causes me to rely on longterm friendships. It's nice to meet new people, but, only time will let me know if they are keepers. Fortunately, being alone is enjoyable, but, I get out regularly to be with friends.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 AM

30,528 posts, read 33,343,692 times
I need a lot of down time/alone time and don't have a crazy active social life now that I have a job. I don't miss it too much, I talk to people all day long. I only go out socially with my friends a couple times a month. A few people I know can't stand the idea that I go home to be alone and read or watch tv, they tell me I need to "get a life" as they are always on the go or doing something. I think some people are afraid to be alone with themselves and their thoughts so they don't want to stop, don't want to slow down, need constant activities and distractions. To each their own.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 AM

26,850 posts, read 5,749,057 times
I agree-some seem to fear being alone...they must do something or be with someone at all times...and are the types that do not understand those of us who prefer time to ourselves.

Like OP, I enjoy staying home and reading, watching movies, cooking, hanging out with my cats. I need a tremendous amount of time alone and always have...but I do go out often with friends to plays, concerts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I need a lot of down time/alone time and don't have a crazy active social life now that I have a job. I don't miss it too much, I talk to people all day long. I only go out socially with my friends a couple times a month. A few people I know can't stand the idea that I go home to be alone and read or watch tv, they tell me I need to "get a life" as they are always on the go or doing something. I think some people are afraid to be alone with themselves and their thoughts so they don't want to stop, don't want to slow down, need constant activities and distractions. To each their own.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 AM

32 posts, read 142,219 times
Ever since a dear friend of mine of 15 years abruptly left my life so fast that my head spun with my confusion, and completely ex-communicated me out of her life, I have a VERY hard time trusting people now. Yes, I am very sad about being alone a lot, but I have my boyfriend and I am super busy with school, so I really have no choice but to be alone when I study all the time. Its sad, but I just tell myself that I need to be patient. I'm sure the right people will come along.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 AM

11,055 posts, read 12,406,241 times
I like alone time. With family chaos and drama, I really do enjoy the quiet. My career was nothing but insanity so I grabbed any free time I could. Now retired, I really enjoy getting away from it all. In 40 minutes I can be at 11,000 feet trout fishing and not see another person all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships