U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 PM

483 posts, read 487,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdocjolly View Post
''

One less that I've learned as a Christian as that I cannot pressure people into coming to church with me and expect a positive response...I've been on the receiving end of that on more than one occasion, and it's more than uncomfortable. The correct thing for your friend(s) to do is to ask once, and then leave it in your hands to decided.

I'm sorry you feel as though they're pressuring you.

That's not cool, to say the least.
I agree, your friends need to take a step back.

Now that they have found the Lord they will want their friends to be saved also but pressure
just turns people off.

Each one of us needs to figure this out for ourselves and your friends can let their love
for you shine though in different ways.

I would try to get along with them. True friends are hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 PM
NDL

3,130 posts, read 3,610,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I really don't care for aggressive proselytizing. It's counter to the principles of the faith. You know, where deeds are supposed to be far more important than words?

Simply say, "Look, I've already told you my opinion on this. If it works for you, great. But knock it off already. If there comes a time when I'm interested in the subject, I'll let you know."
^^^This.

Look - I admit that I have invited every friend I have to church. More than once. But if someone's not interested...that's it. Gotta move on.

Respect is a two way street however; I no longer listen to some of the things I used to listen do, nor do I do some of the things that I used to do - by choice.

Fortunately, I have a great group of friends who (sans two) respect the free will that I have to make my own choices, as I respect their free will, and accept that they will make their own choices and decisions.

The key is respect.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,701,065 times
Never trust anyone that makes a show of religion.Drop those people.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,863,814 times
Others have said it already, be clear with them. Do it in a clear and direct manner and request that they respect your choice. If you phrase it correctly, they just might understand that they are treating you with disrespect - and that is a very unchristian thing to do.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,406,323 times
Quote:
I really don't care for aggressive proselytizing. It's counter to the principles of the faith. You know, where deeds are supposed to be far more important than words?

Simply say, "Look, I've already told you my opinion on this. If it works for you, great. But knock it off already. If there comes a time when I'm interested in the subject, I'll let you know."
Penn Jillette is an atheist who has stated he doesn't respect people who don't proselytize.

"I don't respect that at all. If you believe that there's a heaven and hell and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life or whatever, and you think that it's not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward, and atheists who think that people shouldn't proselytize -- 'Just leave me alone, keep your religion to yourself.'

"How much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize?" Jillette asked. "How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that? If I believed beyond a shadow of a doubt that a truck was coming at you and you didn't believe it, and that truck was bearing down on you, there's a certain point where I tackle you. And this is more important than that."

Baptist Press - ATHEISM: Penn Jillette urges evangelism - News with a Christian Perspective

Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM

4,549 posts, read 9,725,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Penn Jillette is an atheist who has stated he doesn't respect people who don't proselytize.

"I don't respect that at all. If you believe that there's a heaven and hell and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life or whatever, and you think that it's not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward, and atheists who think that people shouldn't proselytize -- 'Just leave me alone, keep your religion to yourself.'

"How much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize?" Jillette asked. "How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that? If I believed beyond a shadow of a doubt that a truck was coming at you and you didn't believe it, and that truck was bearing down on you, there's a certain point where I tackle you. And this is more important than that."

Baptist Press - ATHEISM: Penn Jillette urges evangelism - News with a Christian Perspective
? So what's your point? That since he feels that way everyone should?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
? So what's your point? That since he feels that way everyone should?
No, my point is that he expressed a view that I had not heard before and found quite interesting, so I thought others might, as well. If you don't you are quite free to move to the next comment.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM

3,240 posts, read 4,451,243 times
I still say lighten up. If these people are your friends and if you care about them, it makes sense that they care about you and it's their language of caring that invites you to their faith. Are they bugging you? Yes. Are they killing you? No. I have friends that bug me about all sorts of things.

Good luck finding friends that are perfect. Are you really willing to write the off because of this? Really? I don't think so. They must be important enough TO YOU on some level that made you write here about it to find a workable solution. If not you would have just written them off and moved on without them. Well whatever you do, they will still love and pray for you and probably call.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,587,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post

Oh. Well, if Penn said it...

There is a total and absolute distinction between having a natural conversation about one's beliefs and buttonholing someone every time you see them. One is being a mature adult who is considerate for the beliefs of others, while the second is being an AmWay salesman for God.

It's kind of like public prayer. There are those who think any gathering of people, from a football game to a classroom to the grand opening of a Burger King is a fit and apt occasion to offer up prayers. Yet in Matthew 6, Christ is rather explicit about matters, telling his followers to not do that. However, that doesn't stop some people from praying at the drop of a hat in public.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Oh. Well, if Penn said it...
Finish your sentence. Because he said it, it cannot be interesting? Or, are you just poking around for an argument of some kind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships