Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times

Advertisements

[quote=jim9251;28300338]Like I said, people stress out over the smallest things. Stand your ground? Geeze it's not like you're fighting off the invading Mongols.[/QUOTE]

By no means. But the pressure on him or her is stressful when a group of their friends seem to be making a divide over his right to choose where he/she spends his or her time. Without opening up a major debate and derailing the thread i have always felt religion and politics seem to divide people as opposed to bringing them together. Like our group is best, Join us. If the Op chooses to spend his time in another activity as opposed to going to a service it's his right and should be accepted by his friends. They are dividing him from the group, Esp with the fact they could not listen to AC/DC on the radio because it obviously has become offensive to them. What's next? That's just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM

567 posts, read 1,012,070 times
[quote=D. Scott;28302535]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Like I said, people stress out over the smallest things. Stand your ground? Geeze it's not like you're fighting off the invading Mongols.[/QUOTE]

By no means. But the pressure on him or her is stressful when a group of their friends seem to be making a divide over his right to choose where he/she spends his or her time. Without opening up a major debate and derailing the thread i have always felt religion and politics seem to divide people as opposed to bringing them together. Like our group is best, Join us. If the Op chooses to spend his time in another activity as opposed to going to a service it's his right and should be accepted by his friends. They are dividing him from the group, Esp with the fact they could not listen to AC/DC on the radio because it obviously has become offensive to them. What's next? That's just silly.
Exactly. I have told them numerous times I don't like to talk about religion and I'm not too fond about talking about politics either. Somebody always gets pissed off.

For the past month they have brought this up everytime I'm around them. Might just lay low for a while. Maybe they'll get the point.

Last edited by pentatonic; 02-18-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 02:06 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
The friends decided to take a different direction with their lives. Whatever the trigger event it had a deep impact on them. In my book friendship means having things in common. Giving and taking. Sometimes new-found faith is something the "convert" wants to share, let their circle be part of their discovery. While doing so they get a bit carried away.
I would not cut ties but be aware of their current situation. Meet them in the middle. No cussing can be handled:>) Tell them you are happy for them but are not ready for any potential changes in your life.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 PM

568 posts, read 961,805 times
Yep...lost friends over it..because they went coo-coo. Had to cut them loose...dont miss them or the irritation of not being to even have a nice w/o them getting on the pulpit. Run Run run

Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
[quote=pentatonic;28303894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

Exactly. I have told them numerous times I don't like to talk about religion and I'm not too fond about talking about politics either. Somebody always gets pissed off.

For the past month they have brought this up everytime I'm around them. Might just lay low for a while. Maybe they'll get the point.

I was going to post that you need to tell them up front you are not interested in going to church.

But you just mentioned you have already done that numerous times, so now it is time for some distance.

After reading your AC/DC coment, you have to wonder what is next that will be "wrong".

I see you're in NC, I also now live in the southeast and I find these "churchy" types(mostly southern baptists) to be the biggest phonies going.

If they ask why you're not able to socialize you can tell them "I mentioned to you a few times politely that I don't like being preached at and since you don't seem to get the hint, I don't enjoy your company like I used to".

They will either get it and back off or get offended. If it is the latter, well than just realize friendships change or end due to people moving on and having other interests.

Last edited by seain dublin; 02-18-2013 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 04:32 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
The rules of etiquette still hold. One shouldn't discuss either politics or religion in polite company, I don't care how enthused you are about either.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Has anyone else been through this? Did anyone ever lose friends over something like this?
Yes to both.

You need to walk away. They won't change. Also, consider it a preview of more to come.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
No, this kind of thing has never happened to me.

What if you made them promise that if you went to church with them one time, they'll promise not to persuade you to go ever again? And give it a true chance when you go & if you're really feeling like this isn't the place for you, tell them you'll leave early. Who knows, you may like it.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Why don't you go? It's not like they're wanting you to walk on hot coals, it's an hour or two on Sunday. Then you can tell them, "ok I went, it's not for me". OR tell them, "wow that was fun". People stress over the smallest things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
No, this kind of thing has never happened to me.

What if you made them promise that if you went to church with them one time, they'll promise not to persuade you to go ever again? And give it a true chance when you go & if you're really feeling like this isn't the place for you, tell them you'll leave early. Who knows, you may like it.
To me that's like telling a vegetarian, oh go ahead try that steak that your "friends" are pushing you to eat; what's the big deal?!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I have a couple friends that recently started going to church. Ever since, they have constantly been on my case about it. Asking me to come and why I don't go. It's getting to the point where it's starting to become irritating hanging around them.

We were playing some pool this weekend and all of a sudden my friend turns down the radio. So I ask him what he's doing. Well "highway to hell" by ac/dc came on and he didn't feel the need to hear it. WHAT? Are you kidding me?

I don't mind they are going to church but leave me out of it.

Has anyone else been through this? Did anyone ever lose friends over something like this?
''

One less that I've learned as a Christian as that I cannot pressure people into coming to church with me and expect a positive response...I've been on the receiving end of that on more than one occasion, and it's more than uncomfortable. The correct thing for your friend(s) to do is to ask once, and then leave it in your hands to decided.

I'm sorry you feel as though they're pressuring you.

That's not cool, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships