U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,502,427 times

Advertisements

Maybe you can travel to larger cities on your days off . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,518,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
See, here's the thing. I think playing it safe is the most dangerous thing you can do. I mean, the problem with staying put and saving money is that...you never save enough money. Twenty years from now, the OP will still be in Bakersfield wondering what would have happened had he made the move. These are the guys who eventually buy sports cars in their mid-forties and run off with their secretaries.

Don't tick off your uncle. Just tell him that you'd like to chase the dream for a couple of years. Who on God's name would fault someone in his early 20s for wanting to do that? Keep him apprised of your progress. Chances are he'll be rooting for you to succeed.
Yes - exactly. What's a life without dreams and trying to fulfill them? You have to listen to that thing inside you that tells you where you need to go. Otherwise you will stay stuck in some rut and the longer you're stuck the less likely you'll find what is calling you.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:39 AM

8,823 posts, read 6,351,070 times
If you leave on good terms, you should always have a place to go back to and that's more than some people have..I'd say plan to move to where you know people, see what happens..It's a nice thing to have connections and job experience before you move.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,599,235 times
Yaowa.....So, did you leave and start a new life elsewhere? Update please, we are rooting for you either way.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM

8 posts, read 7,325 times
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still in my hometown working at the dealership. If I did move elsewhere I would need to have a lot of money saved up, which is the stage in where I'm at right now. I'm gearing up for an end of this year decision. That's when I will make the big decision.

Although there is something I left out about my issue....My real reason to move, is because I want to pursue a career in the entertainment industry. I'm originally from LA. Moved to Bakersfield at age 5 due to the aforementioned success of family dealership. So I have lots of family still located in LA. I got one life, one chance. I don't want to spend the last years of my youth chasing something that isn't guaranteed and miss out on all the money I could have made at my current job. That's my biggest issue.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 PM

245 posts, read 313,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaowa View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still in my hometown working at the dealership. If I did move elsewhere I would need to have a lot of money saved up, which is the stage in where I'm at right now. I'm gearing up for an end of this year decision. That's when I will make the big decision.

Although there is something I left out about my issue....My real reason to move, is because I want to pursue a career in the entertainment industry. I'm originally from LA. Moved to Bakersfield at age 5 due to the aforementioned success of family dealership. So I have lots of family still located in LA. I got one life, one chance. I don't want to spend the last years of my youth chasing something that isn't guaranteed and miss out on all the money I could have made at my current job. That's my biggest issue.
Follow your dreams, just leave on good terms with the dealership so you can come back if needed. ALWAYS have a back-up plan entertainment is a hard thing to break into.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:47 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,599,235 times
Actually....Many successful career actors live elsewhere and commute for auditions etc. You are only a short drive away, couple of hours. You could do both. Have you considered that? Especially with the support you have where you live. Folks that live in Hollywood or L.A. still need to have jobs to support themselves while they seek their acting careers.

You might find it costs more to live locally to the industry while seeking your career in entertainment, then it would be to continue your success in Bakersfield...monetary success...and drive for auditions etc...which would most likely be occasionally, rather than daily auditions. And, since you have family in the L.A. area, perhaps you could stay w/ them when you have an audition the next day...Lots of things in your favor!

Just some options to possibly consider. Like my Grandmother would say....Don't cut off your nose to spite your face...jobs are not always easy to come by, especially lucrative jobs.

Last edited by JanND; 04-13-2013 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,677,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I'm sorry, no offense meant, but at 24, with a ''silver spoon'' already up your hoo hoo, what could you possibly know about ''culture'' and ''educated'' folk?
As a Californian, I would give the OP the benefit of the doubt in that regard. Bakersfield is known as the armpit of California. I know it sounds snobbish to say that, but there is a lot of truth to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships