Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:20 PM

250 posts, read 383,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That makes it sound like you want to enter into a lengthy, open-ended conversation...most people don't have time for that on social media.

It's ok to send a congratulatory message that doesn't require a detailed response though. Everyone appreciates that. But it sounds like you are communicating with your "friends" hoping that you get something back from them in return. Friendship is organic, it isn't quid pro quo.
I don't expect a lengthy reply, people email me all the time I don't send a long reply back, and isn't that why people write someone to get a reply back? Also many people are on FB all time.

Last edited by pulse1000; 02-23-2013 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 02:45 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,788,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What are you writing? That might have something to do with it.
It shouldn't matter what you are writing when you've been there for someone in real life in thier darkest hour. I spent lots of time writing numerous letters to my friend in jail. She wrote back saying she really appreciated that she had someone to write back to and talk to. She said I was the only person who cared. I also wrote to her brother twice who was also in jail and he never responded to those letters then or after he got out. Fast forward to a year later when my mother lost her job. I write to this 'friend' on facebook and no response after a few days. I call her and she says she saw the message. I asked why she didn't respond and she gave me some half ass answer like, "It's just facebook". I got mad and wrote on her wall, "I guess I should only write you when you are in jail huh?". She got pissed, and I didn't care. After some other situations with 'friends' I decided this is enough. I'm tired of people.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That makes it sound like you want to enter into a lengthy, open-ended conversation...most people don't have time for that on social media.
That's not true. I've seen people on there for an hour or more posting stuff, sharing, and liking things. You got time to do all that, but no time to pay attention to a real friend is how I see it.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
That's not true. I've seen people on there for an hour or more posting stuff, sharing, and liking things. You got time to do all that, but no time to pay attention to a real friend is how I see it.
That's my point as well, Also its called "social" media..Which means to talk, also why would they have an Inbox allowing for LONGER replies.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I don't always get an e-mail notification when I get a FB message, and I don't always notice them on FB, so I don't always respond in a timely manner.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't always get an e-mail notification when I get a FB message, and I don't always notice them on FB, so I don't always respond in a timely manner.
I can totally understand that explanation, but when some does actually notice a real friend has inboxed them and they don't reply in a timely, untimely, or unfacebook manner then that's when there is a problem. I've posted things on 'friends' walls that urge a friend to call me or bringing light to something serious without getting into detail, yet they log in and use the same excuses as if they didn't see it, yet they commented or shared things the whole night after that. Most people just use excuses when they know they saw something, but were too lazy or shady to respond to your message.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I've posted things on 'friends' walls that urge a friend to call me or bringing light to something serious without getting into detail
I don't understand why you wouldn't have emailed a friend directly instead of posting. Don't your friends have email addresses or phones? Your private email or voicemail message could go into more detail as to why it's important that your friend contact you on a timely basis and is more likely to be responded to. Make a Facebook post asking someone to email or phone you instead of you emailing or phoning them seems rather bizarre to me.

I admit I'm not a Facebook user but isn't Facebook a place to go when you are in the mood to share information with a group and read and comment on information that other people wish to share with a group?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
ya, I have a few friends like that. I just stopped asking how they were. No one seems to want to have a serious conversation anymore. I actually havent found facebook to be that much of a connection. Its mostly putting info out there for others to like.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Yeah that and brag about how great life is...but the thing is is it really?

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don't understand why you wouldn't have emailed a friend directly instead of posting. Don't your friends have email addresses or phones? Your private email or voicemail message could go into more detail as to why it's important that your friend contact you on a timely basis and is more likely to be responded to. Make a Facebook post asking someone to email or phone you instead of you emailing or phoning them seems rather bizarre to me.

I admit I'm not a Facebook user but isn't Facebook a place to go when you are in the mood to share information with a group and read and comment on information that other people wish to share with a group?

I don't think it matters how you message someone. Maybe that was my last breath and facebook happened to be opened up and the computer was right there. I have a phone that sometimes gets cut off because I use a top-up system since I don't want to waste money on a contract because I don't usually talk on the phone much. For me, it was easier to just find people or contact them through facebook since that's where most of my friends would show up each day.

A friend should always treat a friend like they are friends. I don't/didn't have many friends in that e-mail crowd who used e-mail as a first resort. Most of the friends I have/had are also at the lower income bracket and some don't have computers and only use facebook on their phones since most phones have internet access. I am in the crowd of people who never went to prom, graduated high school, had a bachelor party ect ect...

Not saying any of these things are specifically about me or them, but just saying most people I've known don't live in that kind of world where they get to experience those kinds of 'normal' things.

I really don't see it as bizarre to ask people to call or write me on someone's facebook wall when I'm really friends with them in real life. The kind of people I normally call friends are 'real' kinds of people who don't find things like that embarassing. They reach out to me the same way. I guess at my end of the spectrum the crowd I hang with doesn't care too much about facebook ediquette or what society thinks is normal or not, we just live and don't stress about things like that. I don't see a problem going to a friend's wall and saying, "Yo, hit me up sometime..we need to talk about something plus I have that thing you asked me about last time we talked".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships