Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
RazerBob, I suspect that, with or without Facebook, your "friend" would still behave the same. The only difference is that because you can see her activities on Facebook you know that she is deliberately ignoring her message and doesn't have anything more important to do than respond.

Giving up on Facebook doesn't change the underlying problem, which is - your friendship isn't what you had hoped it was.
That's true, and I've already come to terms with the truth. Regardless of my own experiences there are many people like me who always think of others first, and those are the people on here who are saying how frustrating it is when people don't respond on facebook because for people like us, it is in our nature to take our friendships seriously. Regardless of if a friend contacted me through e-mail, facebook, morse-code, telephone, walkie-talkie, or yelling through a window I would respond in some way to let them know, "Hey, I'm here for you buddy". Other people may not see life like this because they don't see that a life can be taken away in the blink of an eye. So for me and others like me we value each day and each small thing or communication we have between friends and it frustrates us when we find it so simple to respond or extend ourselves, but 'friends don't think it's as important.

My issue is why would someone look at a true friend's message and 'not' reply to it? (I'm not talking about within a certain time period, I mean basically ignoring it?) I mean, they do this and then when you see them in person they act like you're thier best friend and everything and you ask them about what you wrote to them (not about why they didn't respond, but about the subject of it) and they say oh, I saw you write me about that and then you have to tell them again what you wrote because they forgot what they read.

Last edited by RazorRob305; 02-25-2013 at 11:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 02:56 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse1000 View Post
Does anyone have friends like this on facebook? They will "like" and comment on status updates,but whenever you inbox them they never write back? What is the point of having them as friend if they never write back?
You're right; they're not a friend if they don't write back. I delete people that never talk to me, no questions asked.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Every time i happen upon non-romantic relationships, it's always something about Facebook... sigh.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
For all you who disavow Facebook,like it's something for losers...it's all part of the social media movement,quite trendy actually so it's not like you're any longer some weirdo in a chat room or something.

And for hiring companies to now be considering that if you're not on Facebook there must be something wrong with you,says alot
No need to take things out of context. FB has its good points and its uses. However, when people get so "addicted" to it that they suffer withdrawal symptoms when they don't log on for a few hours and start long involved threads on forums when someone "unfriends" or ignores them, then a line has been crossed. When people are compelled to go to FB and post during their working day, they're essentially stealing from their employers.

As far as your comment about employers is concerned, you've got that entirely the wrong way around. Employers don't consider that a prospective employee has something wrong with them if they don't subscribe to FB or any other social website. For employers it's a proven "bonus reference" where the activities, words used and photographs posted on someone's page can offer an insight into their general character and thus their suitability as a candidate. It's not complicated.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
No need to take things out of context. FB has its good points and its uses. However, when people get so "addicted" to it that they suffer withdrawal symptoms when they don't log on for a few hours and start long involved threads on forums when someone "unfriends" or ignores them, then a line has been crossed. When people are compelled to go to FB and post during their working day, they're essentially stealing from their employers.

Wtf kind of person is even like this? I mean come on, this is a bit sensational. It's like putting someone who goes out with a drink every once in a while with their friends to an alcoholic.

I'm sure anyone like this, without social media would probably be doing some other weird crap in a basement. It's not like a normal person gets so wrapped up in facebook it consumes their life. Even someone who would make 50 posts per day probably spends what.. 20 minutes of their day ?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
By your logic I would think maybe facebook needs to do away with inboxing or any form of communication with your facebook 'friends' right?
Actually, no. I believe that messaging in Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with people that you don't communicate with on a regular basis. But it should not be assumed to be the communication path for immediate response.

Personally, I check my Facebook a dozen times a day. But other people only check once a week, or even once a month. If I really want a two way communication with someone, I just call them.

Facebook should augment our social network, not replace it.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Most people I know don't give a crap about Facebook.. we're too busy with... our lives?
LOL Actually the most social people in the world with the most exciting lives are more likely to have a Facebook account over a City Data account.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
LOL Actually the most social people in the world with the most exciting lives are more likely to have a Facebook account over a City Data account.
I do think that the percentage of extroverts ("most social people") who are active on Facebook is greater than the percentage of extroverts in the general population. After all, extroverts are more likely to have a much wider circle of casual friends who they would like to keep up to date with. That's a lot less time-consuming to do on Facebook than it would be to do by contacting each friend individually to repeat the same information or share the same photo.

On the other hand, whether extroverts lead more exciting lives than introverts is debatable.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Agree. My rule is this:

Introverts believe their most valuable time is time spent alone in solitary activities.
Extraverts believe their most valuable time is time spent socializing with people.
Facebookverts believe that their most valuable time is time spent posting about how they've spent their time.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
I deleted Facebook because people are not committed on that site. It was only a means for easy communication with people over a computer. Other than that, I find it completely useless in terms of maintaining or building friendships. For me anyway. I can see how it could be used as a very cost efficient means for advertising your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships