Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here enjoy running into people from high school? I really hate it. I graduated almost four years ago and am still living in the same area I went to school while I continue going to college. I avoid any of the bars or restaurants within a 10 mile radius because these places are for sure to be crawling with people from high school. As soon as I graduate college and start making money in the next few years I am going to move away from the area my school is in. I have run into people I rarely talked to in high school and we end up having 15-20 minute conversations. That's longer than we ever spoke in high school! Depending on who they are, I try to be very vague with what I have been up to and just say things like "oh just school and stuff, you?"

so what are your experiences?

Last edited by bradleyyo; 02-22-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Does anyone here enjoy running into people from high school? I really hate it. I graduated almost four years ago and am still living in the same area I went to school while I continue going to college. I avoid any of the bars or restaurants within a 10 mile radius because these places are for sure to be crawling with people I went to high school with. As soon as I graduate college and start making money in the next few years I am going to move away from the area my school is in. I have run into people I rarely talked to in high school and we end up having 15-20 minute conversations. That's longer than we ever spoke in high school! Depending on who they are, I try to be very vague with what I have been up to and just say things like "oh just school and stuff, you?"

I went to two high schools. One in Southern Virginia one in Northern VA. I haven't gone back to Southern VA much for a reason. I was terrorized at school there. I dont wanna run into nearly anyone from there again.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I've never run into anyone from high school since I moved from when I went to school to a state 2,000 miles away. After 40 years if I did I doubt they would recognize me or I would recognize them.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Does anyone here enjoy running into people from high school? I really hate it. I graduated almost four years ago and am still living in the same area I went to school while I continue going to college. I avoid any of the bars or restaurants within a 10 mile radius because these places are for sure to be crawling with people from high school. As soon as I graduate college and start making money in the next few years I am going to move away from the area my school is in. I have run into people I rarely talked to in high school and we end up having 15-20 minute conversations. That's longer than we ever spoke in high school! Depending on who they are, I try to be very vague with what I have been up to and just say things like "oh just school and stuff, you?"

Just wait until the 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th, etc., etc.-- reunions.

Those folks who never said a word to you will behave as if you were and are good buddies

And you know some of the arse holes will turn out the nice ones, and some of the nice ones end up old arse holes.

Go figure.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I went to two high schools. One in Southern Virginia one in Northern VA. I haven't gone back to Southern VA much for a reason. I was terrorized at school there. I dont wanna run into nearly anyone from there again.
I went to 5 high schools. Sounds nuts. Two in Southern Maryland, and 1 in PG County, MD, and 2 in Southern VA.

I have run into people from my schools in Southern MD, these would be people from my 9th and 10th grade years, and I have caught up with people from 11th and 12th grade on Facebook.

All of this has been well over 20 years ago, so it is what it is.

I am sorry you had such a bad time in school. I had probably about the same experience in all schools but I had a hard time adjusting when we moved to Southern Va. I was so used to being around mostly black people so it is who I went towards for friends.

I was ridiculed by some, and pulled away from and into their group by others.

Strange situation.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,475 times
Nah, not anymore. I've been out of high school 4 years too and initially I would hide from them because I didn't want to see them until I had something to brag about (success or something). But by the time I got back on facebook (December of 2012), I kinda realized that most of these people had their own lives and so did I and it didn't really matter. For the most part, whether or not I see them again is irrelevant.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post

Those folks who never said a word to you will behave as if you were and are good buddies

And you know some of the arse holes will turn out the nice ones, and some of the nice ones end up old arse holes.

Go figure.
That is exactly what they do! Its nuts! I have a woman from elementary that was quite a bully towards me and now on fb she acts like we were besties. I read the things she posts to me and wonder if we were living in 2 different worlds as children!

My 20th reunion went by almost a couple of years ago, and there were no reunions before it. The things they had planned....I just didn't care to go...

Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post

Go figure.
I have no plans to go to my reunion. I just do not want to be reminded of all the torment I suffered in ANY way.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
The longer you are out of high school the less you will be bothered by seeing them. High school is a tragedy for many. Most of us just don't want to relive the "glory" days. Sadly, those are the only glory day some people have.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
The trouble with holding on to negative memories from your school days is this:

1) YOU are the only one suffering from them and you may not have the same memories as others.

2) YOU are seeing things from an "adult" point of view and forgetting that the people who "tormented" you, were children.

3) YOU do not really know what was going on behind the scene, in those children's lives. They may have been in full-out survival mode, due to the horrors they were dealing with at home.

4) If you want to leave the past in the past, you need to let GO of the past. If you're still carrying grudges, 4 years later, you have not let go of the past.

Look, many of us had some really bad experiences in school, when we were children. The thing of it is, you have to remember that those other people....well...they were children too. Some of those most "hateful" kids, end up turning into the most wonderful adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships