Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 PM

683 posts, read 4,615,071 times

Advertisements

I've been a nanny for the same family for two years. I love them, we get along great. I'm 31 and they are just a few years older than me, so we relate and can carry on a conversation before or after "work" no problem. Last year, I went on a ski vacation with them so I could watch their little boy while they went skiing during the day. They had their own hotel suite, and they got me one as well. It happened to be on a different floor, so when they were back from skiing, I just went back up to my room. One night I went out for an activity in the ski village, and one night, I went out to dinner with them. Other than that, I had the nights to myself. It was a really fun trip.

This year, we are doing the same thing, but going to a different place. Instead of going the hotel route, they decided to rent a large three bedroom house for the week, so we will all stay there together (ill have my own room and bathroom).

So here is my question...let's say they get back from skiing around 4 or 5 pm each day. We will probably have a bite for dinner, turn on the TV, whatever. I'm going to see what will be going on in the village that I can go to, but obviously I won't know anyone there and am not really looking to make friends with strangers. I'm perfectly fine hanging out with myself in the evenings. But. I'm not sure if it would be rude or not to like...retreat up to my room each night after dinner. As a married couple and as a family, I'm not sure they want me hanging out with them at night, and I'm sure they'll tell me I am free to go do whatever I want. But is it rude to stay there in the house and just go off to my room by myself? Not that I couldn't hang out with them, I'm sure I could for part of the time since we get along so well. But I know I won't want to sit down and watch a movie with them every night. Even though we get along well, they are still my employers.

I hope I'm making sense! We are going for seven days. I just hate the feeling of "should I leave now...or should I stay and hang out..?" Ha. I don't want anything to be awkward so I just thought I'd ask what you lovely people would do if you were me.

Last edited by Mel2882; 02-24-2013 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Spelled an important word incorrectly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,750,369 times
You've already answered your own question. You're the hired help, They don't expect you to sit with them every night. They want and expect time to themselves every day and evening. Excuse yourself after dinner, take care of putting the child to bed, if you do that and then go out, go to your room, etc. as you see fit.

Enjoy your trip !

Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,857,505 times
After supper just excuse yourself, tell them you hand a wonderful day and go to your room. No big deal.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,193,866 times
I would ask them what is expected of you during that week. I personally would never go on vacation w/ my employers. But, you have, and you should have enough rapour with them to just honestly ask at this point.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
After supper just excuse yourself, tell them you hand a wonderful day and go to your room. No big deal.
This. During the day, you're on the clock. After that, you're on your own. It's no different than when I travel on behalf of one of my clients. To be sure, having dinner with them once or twice would be nice to do, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM

858 posts, read 1,805,543 times
I guess you aren't a "live-in" nanny.

Like cpg35223 said, after you're done, you can do whatever you want. Don't feel like you have to go to your room if you don't want to, but if that's what you prefer, do it.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,587,883 times
If they would like to hang out with you, I suppose they'd invite you, and you can respond as you would to any other invitation to socialize. Otherwise your off-work time belongs to you, and it's not at all rude to do as you please.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM

400 posts, read 1,508,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You've already answered your own question. You're the hired help, They don't expect you to sit with them every night. They want and expect time to themselves every day and evening. Excuse yourself after dinner, take care of putting the child to bed, if you do that and then go out, go to your room, etc. as you see fit.

Enjoy your trip !
i agree

Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,170,826 times
If you excuse yourself and just go to your room, it will be obvious to them that you have nothing else planned unlike the last time when they didn't know where you were or weren't going.
They may just say goodnight or they may ask you if you wouldn't like to stay and sit with them.

Ifyou get along as well as you say, it might be enjoyable for them to connect with you as another adult occassionally, without the kids around.
It would probably not be a good idea to do it every night, or even most every night,even if asked ,as they probably also value their time alone and might do so just to be polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships