U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,701,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
If I don't know them in real life, I don't add them in FB. And I mean really know them, not some acquaintance. I have maybe 50 FB friends, half are relatives. I only get updates on my FB page from 10, the rest I have to click to see which I do weekly or so. It's nice to see photos from good friends and relatives I care about. These people with 600 FB friends, I don't get it.

This is the way it should be. I wonder how many of these 600 "friends" would come down to police station at 2am to bail them out of jail or loan them money....LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM

6,773 posts, read 6,563,731 times
The interesting thing about Facebook is that everyone has slightly (or very) different policy on how to manage it. Some people are on the "more is better" end of spectrum and others are on the "if I don't know you well, don't even bother" end.

In between those opposite poles, it can become very nuanced and perplexing, just as real life can be. Family? Co-workers? Potential romantic interests? Long lost people from the past? It gets tricky. Hard and fast rules of engagement are difficult. Personally, I leave my Facebook page completely open by choice for anyone to look at, and don't post annoying or incriminating crap. But that's just how I do it.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 PM

6,773 posts, read 6,563,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This is the way it should be. I wonder how many of these 600 "friends" would come down to police station at 2am to bail them out of jail or loan them money....LOL.
What's an acquaintance and what's a friend though? It's not black and white.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I never understood why so many people get caught up in NUMBERS and just add people they don't really talk to.

I only add people I know.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,296,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
I only friend people who I am actually friends with, or family.

Most people my age (24) have like 500+ friends, because they just add/accept basically anyone. By comparison, I have 125.

I want to remove a few more people, but Im afraid their egos won't be able to handle it.

One of my roommates from college who I haven't spoken to since Summer 2011, who is a nice guy, but is just annoying.

What are your "rules" for such a thing?

No Facebook = No Rules, it is much easier to not have facebook than to think up a bunch of rules to be used on facebook.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,701,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
What's an acquaintance and what's a friend though? It's not black and white.
You usually find out the difference when you're in a jam, whose a friend and whose an acquaintance.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,372,240 times
I have 128 FB friends and I've never deleted anybody. You know you can just hide their posts, right? If I don't particularly care about somebody, I just hide their posts.

The only way I would delete somebody is if they were seriously bothering me, but nobody has. (Back when I had AIM this was an issue...)

Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 AM

5,597 posts, read 3,935,660 times
I add people I know (or share things in common with, such as groups in college, or the same high school) but accept any request. If it's clear that they are just trying to sell me something or something of the sort, I'll delete them, but someone wouldn't add me if they didn't want me to add them back. I have 1,534 friends on Facebook, and I got my account on November 7, 2009. I default to "yes" - I'd rather accept someone I really shouldn't than reject someone and have to "look at myself in the mirror". What if, by some chance, some person finds me very interesting and wants to get to know me? It's happened a few times. While it can be time consuming to talk to the fans, it's rewarding, and often an enjoyable experience.

Annoying is a label thrown around frequently, but some people have a difficult time controlling it. I knew a boy in high school that has Asperger's Syndrome. He made comments that some would deem "creepy", he was loud, and he could act a bit unrefined sometimes. Selfish people just rejected his requests and blocked him and you could tell the quality kids by those that were nice to him.

The point is, people are all different and you don't know how they will take rejection, so don't reject someone on getting to know you. Sure, you can reject romantic advances. But you can't entirely block someone out of your life.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 AM

5,597 posts, read 3,935,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
The interesting thing about Facebook is that everyone has slightly (or very) different policy on how to manage it. Some people are on the "more is better" end of spectrum and others are on the "if I don't know you well, don't even bother" end.

In between those opposite poles, it can become very nuanced and perplexing, just as real life can be. Family? Co-workers? Potential romantic interests? Long lost people from the past? It gets tricky. Hard and fast rules of engagement are difficult. Personally, I leave my Facebook page completely open by choice for anyone to look at, and don't post annoying or incriminating crap. But that's just how I do it.
I agree with the "don't post annoying or incriminating crap". Good rule

Yes, I do refresh unanswered friend requests every few months. It's worked quite often, and I've never been restricted from adding people on Facebook.

Another great rule is, if someone adds you, you reject them, and they add you again, they really care to be your friend, and unless it will put you in danger, add them.

I have my cell number open on Facebook to my 1,534 friends even. Not once have I gotten a creepy text message from it.

Full disclosure: I am a 20 year old man.

I've even made friendships over Facebook. Maybe not full fledged friendships, but friendships nonetheless.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,368,976 times
don't trust anyone, only tell them what you don't mind being repeated/shared..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or