Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

I have to know you in real life OR if I met you through another facebook friend, we need to interact.

I don't unfriend the long-winded posters, political posters, can't do anything but post pictures of cats all day posters...I just block their feed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I accept friend requests if I know the person directly or sometimes indirectly. Indirectly applies to others in the dog rescue community who might have contacts that would be a resource for helping a dog I might foster. I have only sent a friend request on a few occasions and its been dog rescue groups so I can post dogs I am trying to help. FB is a good tool for networking and I sometimes share family photos, but usually for me its all about helping dogs get forever homes or foster homes. I'm sure lots of my friends have hidden me because they are sick of seeing dogs.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
Haha, I know what you mean. How many do you have?
Can't remember but I'm sure it's less than 30 . And frankly I don't have any qualms in unfriending or blocking people. Even friends and family can be amazingly insensitive online.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
First of all, I have to actually know the people. Then I have 3 friend lists with different access to my profile. I hide annoying people and political hacks from my news feed. That about covers it.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I'd also like to add people who post 23,000 photos of their cats OR umpteen dozen photos of lost pets.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I used to be a lot more open to new FB friends, but I've had some bad experiences on FB and a lot of annoying friends who made me delete them that I'm more picky about who I keep on. Now, if they're not either someone I know, talk to on FB or in real life, or am related to, they're gone.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM

607 posts, read 855,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I agree with the "don't post annoying or incriminating crap". Good rule

Yes, I do refresh unanswered friend requests every few months. It's worked quite often, and I've never been restricted from adding people on Facebook.

Another great rule is, if someone adds you, you reject them, and they add you again, they really care to be your friend, and unless it will put you in danger, add them.

I have my cell number open on Facebook to my 1,534 friends even. Not once have I gotten a creepy text message from it.

Full disclosure: I am a 20 year old man.

I've even made friendships over Facebook. Maybe not full fledged friendships, but friendships nonetheless.
Where do you even find 1,534 people to add?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
What are your "rules" for such a thing?
I friend only people I know in person.
Occasionally I get friend requests from someone who's, say, a sister of someone I went to school with. Unless I've actually met her (the sister), I ignore the request.

Of course, even knowing someone in person doesn't mean I'll accept their friend request. There are a few folks I know but don't want anything to do with.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
I only friend people who I am actually friends with, or family.

Most people my age (24) have like 500+ friends, because they just add/accept basically anyone. By comparison, I have 125.

I want to remove a few more people, but Im afraid their egos won't be able to handle it.

One of my roommates from college who I haven't spoken to since Summer 2011, who is a nice guy, but is just annoying.

What are your "rules" for such a thing?
They are your friends and it is your wall, so handle it however you want to. You can go to your friends list and limit what access each friend has to you by clicking on a little icon and making choices. It is possible to restrict a person to the point you don't have to deal with them at all. After I learned that I stopped unfriending so many people. I like to keep my friends list to around 100. Too many friends just brings too much junk to your wall. I limit that too.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,475 times
I don't really care anymore tbh. I'm almost 22. I got back on Facebook because I wanted to get back in touch with those who mattered to me and if we drifted apart I wanted it to be because it was a natural occurance and not because I created barriers to our connection.

I have about the same amount of friends on fb as you do. but I don't really have rules for them. I'm open to adding more people just because you never know how these people will affect my life in the long run or the impact they'll have on me in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships