U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM
 
607 posts, read 736,902 times
Reputation: 378

Advertisements

I only friend people who I am actually friends with, or family.

Most people my age (24) have like 500+ friends, because they just add/accept basically anyone. By comparison, I have 125.

I want to remove a few more people, but Im afraid their egos won't be able to handle it.

One of my roommates from college who I haven't spoken to since Summer 2011, who is a nice guy, but is just annoying.

What are your "rules" for such a thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,071 posts, read 8,370,997 times
Reputation: 11558
I don't really have any. Who cares if they have 500 friends. It's just Facebook. You shouldn't post anything you would have a problem with the whole world knowing. Some people act like it is everyone else's great privilege to be their Facebook friend. My favorite are the posts where people announce they are purging their lists...attention seekers IMO. If someone wants to delete me, then delete me. Who cares.

I really like the lists feature. I like the restricted feature as well. Anyone who annoys me I just hide them from my feed so I never have to see what they write. It's so easy to control what you see and who sees what you write, that I'm not very picky about who I am friends with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM
 
607 posts, read 736,902 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I don't really have any. Who cares if they have 500 friends. It's just Facebook. You shouldn't post anything you would have a problem with the whole world knowing. Some people act like it is everyone else's great privilege to be their Facebook friend. My favorite are the posts where people announce they are purging their lists...attention seekers IMO. If someone wants to delete me, then delete me. Who cares.

I really like the lists feature. I like the restricted feature as well. Anyone who annoys me I just hide them from my feed so I never have to see what they write. It's so easy to control what you see and who sees what you write, that I'm not very picky about who I am friends with.

How so? Its MY account, not someone elses. My privacy settings don't allow for the "whole world" to see my page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,213,000 times
Reputation: 29451
My rule is to not have a Facebook account. Much trivial drama averted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,091 posts, read 12,475,857 times
Reputation: 26117
If I don't know them in real life, I don't add them in FB. And I mean really know them, not some acquaintance. I have maybe 50 FB friends, half are relatives. I only get updates on my FB page from 10, the rest I have to click to see which I do weekly or so. It's nice to see photos from good friends and relatives I care about. These people with 600 FB friends, I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
22,563 posts, read 24,148,016 times
Reputation: 48969
Everyone I'm friends with on Facebook is someone that I know in real life. If I don't interact with them all that often, I don't unfriend. I may jockey around with restricted settings, but I don't put all that much thought into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
 
607 posts, read 736,902 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
If I don't know them in real life, I don't add them in FB. And I mean really know them, not some acquaintance. I have maybe 50 FB friends, half are relatives. I only get updates on my FB page from 10, the rest I have to click to see which I do weekly or so. It's nice to see photos from good friends and relatives I care about. These people with 600 FB friends, I don't get it.
Yup, I think its just to appear more popular. As if they know all those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,433 posts, read 29,495,397 times
Reputation: 19626
I have about 240 friends on fb. I do know many of them, but there are a good chunk of people I met on FB who have like issues as I do and we have all kind of become a support group of one another. I have not met them, but I do think they have become great friends.

Other than them, it is friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM
 
2,520 posts, read 5,361,768 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
How so? Its MY account, not someone elses. My privacy settings don't allow for the "whole world" to see my page.
You can also adjust your settings to who sees your wall and what you post. I have different folders of friends like family, close friends, online friends I've known for year, gaming friends. I have a large folder of friends I met on another forum who share the same interest as me in dog breeds. When I post something on my wall, I can customize it to allowing what group of friends to see. If it's pertaining to the dog breed, I allow only that group to view. This allows me to be comfortable w/ what I share and who I share it with.

Your photo albums can also be customized to who you allow to view them.

Last edited by kahncss; 02-26-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times
Reputation: 46028
People who post nothing but political propaganda for either side = Gone. These are not people. They are parrots.

People who post nothing but cheesy little jokes, inspirational stories and slogans = Gone. What did they do? Rob a Cracker Barrel gift shop or something?

People who keep trying to sell me something = Gone. I'm on Facebook to keep up with friends, not keep up with what's on sale.

That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top