U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,436,188 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm an empath. But I'm also aware that people are entitled to their opinions and that it's wise not to take things too personally all the time. Nevertheless, I feel like we as a people have become really really sensitive and quick to take offense. It's even to the point where many of us begin to lash out tactlessly for no reason!

Case in point, I was in the religion section and I shared my personal opinion on something and someone got so offended that they started telling me that my God was of Satan and so forth and so forth. This isn't the first time something like this has happened on a forum. I'm just a little surprised that things could get so intense so quickly. Not to mention I've actually gotten reps from people who have basically decided to belittle me because my name is Royalite and ask in a thread about zodiacs, "what about leos? " (I was kidding)

When did we get so sensitive (especially online) and do you think that it's that the people in the online world are posting here because they don't have an outlet for their strong emotions? Is it that anonymity is giving them liquid courage to be rude and brash?

Enlighten me. Share your opinions on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 AM

42,810 posts, read 41,516,080 times
1) Anonymity allows us to type things we would NEVER say in person.

2) The Religion forum is quicksand. I went there ONCE and will never go back. i would not use it as a basis for anything in human society.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM

132 posts, read 159,708 times
I don't know I'm in the military and when I first joined people had thick skin and if you didn't you developed it real quick. Nowadays we have to be PC about everything so we don't offend anyone's feelings it sucks.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM

12,544 posts, read 12,484,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

2) The Religion forum is quicksand. I went there ONCE and will never go back. i would not use it as a basis for anything in human society.

Quicksand? More like a cesspool. That and Politics and Other Controversies. Whenever I read anything in either forum, I feel like I need to take a shower afterwards.

OP, don't take what bible-thumping trolls say to be indicative of society as a whole. Take it as indicative of bible-thumping trollery. Granted, we have a lot of bible-thumping trollery in our government and on our airwaves, and it caters to bible-thumping trolls, but there are plenty of people out there who don't feel the need to shove their religion down everyone else's throats.

In a broader sense, I think that most people, to one extent or another, are more sensitive to bigotry and the "isms"--racism, sexism, ageism, etc. than they were 50 or 60 years ago. I think that's a good thing, as prejudice and intolerance have no place in a civilized society.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM

20,070 posts, read 14,390,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

^^^

Agreed! That area of the forum mostly attracts and keeps folks who are argumentative, antagosnistic, and know-it-all.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM

22,488 posts, read 24,050,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Quicksand? More like a cesspool. That and Politics and Other Controversies. Whenever I read anything in either forum, I feel like I need to take a shower afterwards.
P&OC is like a microcosm of the worst of American political discourse. The only thing that makes my skin crawl more is the Rants and Raves section of Craigslist. I shudder to think that these people are out there, walking around like normal people, and their brains are full of garbage.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
P&OC is like a microcosm of the worst of American political discourse. The only thing that makes my skin crawl more is the Rants and Raves section of Craigslist. I shudder to think that these people are out there, walking around like normal people, and their brains are full of garbage.
I guess I get confused. There are times when I open a thread to read it and I feel like the person is posting it SOLELY for the purpose of antagonizing, not to learn or have an open dialogue. I tend to post with the intent of sharing my own experiences, or what I've observed in my own life, or for more insight and feedback, but I never mean to make it a one size fits all or that my way is the only way. At times I get taken back when I start picking up on certain tones and keywords like, "absurd", "evil"...etc. It becomes personal... *snap snap*... like that.

Anyways, I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who's feeling what I'm feeling. I'll keep this in mind when I get a quick snapper on me. lol

Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM

14,312 posts, read 7,880,761 times
Quote:

OP, don't take what bible-thumping trolls say to be indicative of society as a whole. Take it as indicative of bible-thumping trollery. Granted, we have a lot of bible-thumping trollery in our government and on our airwaves, and it caters to bible-thumping trolls, but there are plenty of people out there who don't feel the need to shove their religion down everyone else's throats.

In a broader sense, I think that most people, to one extent or another, are more sensitive to bigotry and the "isms"--racism, sexism, ageism, etc. than they were 50 or 60 years ago. I think that's a good thing, as prejudice and intolerance have no place in a civilized society.
I like you It's sad when people can't see the forest for the trees and respect falls by the way side. I have a friend that was going to sign something from his church opposing same sex marriage to send to the White House. I was shocked since his brother was a homosexual priest that died from AIDS. I said the president has to be president to everyone, not just your religion. He agreed but said that he signed a piece of paper pledging unquestioning blind faith to the church. Wait a minute. Isn't that what cults do in the name of God and take your money so the higher ups can live in opulence? He confessed that he has never read the bible and only believes what the church tells him. This is polar opposite from what I believe, yet we are great friends and have tremendous love for that friendship. Respect is the key. Besides what if we really do have to keep coming back until we are enlightened enough to be done with all this nonsense here on planet Earth? I chose to be nice and respect all opinions, even the ridiculous ones.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM

Hey guys, as some of you have already said above, I feel respect is so important. I don't know if us becoming more sensitive as a people (or easily offended) is making it so that we neglect to be respectful or what. But I do think it gets thrown out the window, more easily in the online world.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 AM

8,181 posts, read 16,524,955 times
Quote:

Actually it's wording things like this is what get people going. Can people not have a discussion without calling people names? You even managed to get a government bashing in there when politics have nothing to do with the OP.

To the OP...some people think that just because they are on the internet and can hide behind a keyboard they have to fight and argue...and as shown above, throw out insults that don't need to be thrown.

They aren't really wanting to discuss the subject matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships