Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,582,359 times

Advertisements

Do you know anybody who can basically only talk about facts or statistics. Kind of like Sheldon, on Big Bang Theory (in case you know the show)

Example.

You mention that you drove to a tourist destination, and they try to tell you how many miles it is.

Say you had a certain cereal for breakfast, and they'll spout out the company that owns them and their stock price.

Go hiking in the mountains, and you'll hear them tell you the elevation.

Fly to Detroit, and soon you'll hear how long the flight was.

You get the idea. I mean, this is not a conversation. And a lot of the time it might be inaccurate. Talking to someone like this, is just draining. And when they initiate a conversation with a question, it's only to spout out more of this "impressiveness".

Okay, anybody else know a person like this. Please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM

314 posts, read 625,673 times
Yes. It's extremely irritating and it feels like subtle harassment. Every single family member of mine talks this way which is exactly like the character Sheldon. One of my most annoying relatives actually looks up to that worthless TV character Sheldon. I even had a therapist like that. What a total nightmare. These awful people make every communication effort to make you feel rejected, small, and diminished with their constant overbearing and snide "fact-based" monologues. They also manage to keep you at a distance because they are fearful of relationships. It was normal in their families to keep everyone at a frustrating distant. That's what they are doing with you. Also you can research "push, pull" which is common amongst relationships with personality disorders.

I think it's a combination of various personality disorders, autism, bad parenting, etc.

Someone shared this educational video with me the other day on this forum:
narcissistic personality disorder - YouTube

Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I don't mind that. I just hate when people tell you "facts" that turn out wrong.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
My cousin is married to someone like this. He HAS to know more than you do on EVERY subject. He has insisted he is right about everything from my daughter's unusual medical condition, on down to the location of businesses in the town I live in.

Basically, everyone knows he's an ass and does not willingly engage him in conversation.

Go figure...alcohol makes it worse .

Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I have happily been able to quelch a lot of this (with a particular family member) by carrying my iPad around and whenever she starts spouting off (and arguing over "nothing") . . . I just google it and hand the iPad to Ms. Know-It-All. I don't have to say another word.

End of that.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Rain Man.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Absolutely. I had a relative telling my Japanese foreign student what it was like in Japan, and when she asked when he was there he said he had never been there. LOL. She told me later he was wrong. He does this all the time to everyone. So boring.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
We have a friend that we love dearly but the guy she's dating is soooooooooooo annoying.

He knows everything and everybody. We really don't know why she's with him.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I don't mind that. I just hate when people tell you "facts" that turn out wrong.
Same. If they know what they are talking about I welcome it. I like to learn new things. But most of what I see is people spouting off about stuff they don't really know. When they put out stuff as fact when it isn't, that's what bothers me. One of my coworkers does this. Talks about things he's clearly wrong about but refuses to hear the truth. I'm not talking about political stuff, I mean hard factual data.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
Interesting thread. I had an acquaintance in the Army who now I think had a narcissistic personality disorder. She had a tall tale for everything, usually involving her saving the day in some fashion. She was a joke in our organization and we would share some of her outrageous tales amongst ourselves. She was also an expert at everything...running, world class mountain climber, skier, you name it...she was an expert. Admittedly, she was a good skier and on vacation, was showing off and wiped out. Of course it wasn't her fault...some guy was jealous, sabotaged her by sticking his ski pole out to trip her, etc. When things didn't go her way, there was always some excuse involving a sexual harassment incident or someone wanting to trip her up. The tall tales she could spin were amazing.

She would also have rages over thef smallest crap. We had to follow her on one occasion and she got lost. We arrived at our destination before her. When she got out of her car, she was in a fury. Unfortunately most of her bosses were afraid of her and she got promoted to a very high rank. It was painful being around her. She was also a control freak. Another occasion her car wouldn't start and she had to ride with us. She told my husband that she would drive our car. Of course he said no. Her husband was a stay at home husband...they had no kids. He ws a bit of a house slave for her. It was pretty disturbing.

She was the most extreme example of someone trying to always impress you. Looking back on it later, I now realize that she probably desperately needed psychological help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships