Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 10:14 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times

Advertisements

How do you deal with the situation if your significant other has a close family member (step sibling in this case) that you absolutely never want to be around?

I don't do negative vibes/energy, and her step brother is just a DRAIN to be around. The dude is very rude and over the top. At every family gathering I've been to thus far, he's always said or done something to get under at least 1 person's skin.

Trying to be respectful around her parents, I've let some things he's said slide 2 times, but at a recent gathering at her aunts house, I finally had to snap on the dude and tell him that he can keep coming at the rest of them sideways, but don't come at me with it. It all started when he tried to hug at the end of the night and I pushed the dude away saying I can't even fake the love bro.

Mind you by the time the night was over with, he'd already gotten into it with my gf and their first cousin over separate issues.

I love her but I can't be around that nor pretend as if I like him in his presence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 10:19 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
How often do you need to be around this person?

You don't need to start a fight with this guy, just don't engage with him.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:50 AM

423 posts, read 267,850 times
What does your girlfriend say about it? If it’s bad enough, maybe she should discuss it with her parents.

Do you have to go with her to the family events? If so, I’d try to stay in a different room or outside as much as possible. If I’m the same room, just face away or sit far away in order to engage the least amount possible.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:20 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,665 times
I say there's one of those in every family, so you have to just suck it up and be around him as long as the get togethers aren't too often. Best option is do your best to avoid him at these gatherings.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:46 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
So he started it by trying to give you a brotherly hug? That bastard!

Old 12-12-2022, 02:12 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
How do you feel about the rest of the family?

Old 12-12-2022, 04:25 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Let me get this straight. The dude was obnoxious. Then you turned around and showed everyone that you are too? Now the rest of the family realizes they have two children (as in people who can't control themselves) to manage...one of them just happens to be an invited guest.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
How do you deal with the situation if your significant other has a close family member (step sibling in this case) that you absolutely never want to be around?

I don't do negative vibes/energy, and her step brother is just a DRAIN to be around. The dude is very rude and over the top. At every family gathering I've been to thus far, he's always said or done something to get under at least 1 person's skin.

Trying to be respectful around her parents, I've let some things he's said slide 2 times, but at a recent gathering at her aunts house, I finally had to snap on the dude and tell him that he can keep coming at the rest of them sideways, but don't come at me with it. It all started when he tried to hug at the end of the night and I pushed the dude away saying I can't even fake the love bro.

Mind you by the time the night was over with, he'd already gotten into it with my gf and their first cousin over separate issues.

I love her but I can't be around that nor pretend as if I like him in his presence
Sounds like you were waiting for a reason to blow up.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:56 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Leave the gf. He's not going away

Old 12-13-2022, 09:38 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
First of all, how old are you? I've noticed that young people have very little tolerance for people or things they don't like or don't agree with.

Unless he's doing something absolutely egregious, learning to "live and let live" is a very helpful and useful skill in life, you'll find as you age.

Are you going to quit jobs because of or insist your boss fire any coworker with "negative vibes and energy" who "drains you"? Puhleez.

You're not in relationship with him; you don't have to love him. But we have to coexist with all kinds of people in this world. So chill out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships