U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,866,573 times

Advertisements

The volume of private responses I've received from people who are glad I started this thread is gratifying. My family and friends have thrown up their hands over my decision not to use Facebook, but only occasionally grouse about having to contact me by email or, god forbid, phone.

People's responses also tell me that there are a variety of reasons. Here's mine- I'm an intensely private person who still enjoys conversation with people, but with the freedom to say what I want with a degree of anonymity. Anonymity is important to me because, as typical of introverts, too much social interaction wears me out; and, I enjoy the freedom to say what I think with little risk of blowback from my employer.

I don't see CD as "social media" because, at least in the threads I'm attracted to, it certainly isn't social. I don't share most personal details and don't wonder about those of others. No pictures, no sharing of favorite hobbies or music except in dedicated threads, and best of all, no pressure to be more of a social person than I choose to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,512,800 times
I'm with you

Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 PM

748 posts, read 1,414,187 times
I don't have twitter, facebook or linkedin. I think facebook is nothing but a gossip tool and twitter I never id understand why it was popular, it seems to silly to me. Then again i'm not big on being social, I never really got the point in it, seems like nothing but problems come from people knowing to much about one another.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 PM

40,467 posts, read 39,987,496 times
I have a FB account, I rarely check it to be honest.

I only have a few FB 'friends', most people that have a huge amount aren't really friends, more like people they know of or met a few times.

The true friends are gonna be the ones that show up at your funeral, not 900 of your FB 'friends'

I don't have a twitter account, nor do I care to figure out how it works....

Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM

424 posts, read 538,223 times
Just as cell phones have slowly blurred the line of too much personal info being "shared" in public I think that Facebook, etc. is causing other social changes.

I have come across a few people who react with annoyance at what I always thought was normal chit chat. One woman had returned from a recent vacation. So I tried asking her about it - how did she enjoy it, did she see sites xyz...She was quite miffed that I was asking since she had posted her trip summary on FB. If you didn't keep up with her posts she really didn't want to waste time bringing you up to speed.

It was quite odd. I feel a face to face conversation has so much validity. It allows the potential to share, skip to other newly discovered common interests and when it is good it's exciting as hell! Just reading about someones vacation is a very different experience.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 PM

1,243 posts, read 936,848 times
I'm not interested in my friends' lives enough to follow them on social media. Therefore I couldn't imagine anyone giving enough of a damn about my life to follow it either. I love them - friends and family - but I just don't care enough, and couldn't imagine them feeling any differently.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,307,583 times
Nope, no facebook my space, or linked. I do go to Twitter if there is a breaking news story.

I did manage a Facebook page for a political candidate and it was very handy. When people would ask for information I could just say to check the Facebook Page. I do not write code so it was much easier than a website.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 AM

6,034 posts, read 13,134,591 times
^^ Just FYI - reddit: the front page of the internet is good for breaking news stories, too. Often they have the facts before the mainstream media does. The coverage of the Aurora movie theater shooting was incredible.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 AM

291 posts, read 246,834 times
I neither do. I have a facebook account but I only use it once in a while just to keep contact with friends with whom we are separated by miles. I don't have a twitter and I have never felt like making an acc on that site. I don't have a tumblr and I have no clue what's it and for. I only have a youtube account in addition to my facebook's one

Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM

39 posts, read 65,044 times
I have absolutely no interest in facebook or any other social media. I am not interested in the minutia of people's lives and I prefer actual live contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships