U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 07:30 PM

15,609 posts, read 25,056,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
But you're going to miss events & updates. My family reunion.. Without being on FB, if you were in my family, you would have no idea about it.

It's just so hard staying out of the loop in my opinion. It's like living in Antartica.

works for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 AM

1,746 posts, read 1,284,471 times
I don't use Facebook/Twitter/Snapchat etc... I only use Instagram, because I quite like it, but not to post selfies.

I'm 28. I don't have time for social media at all.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:22 PM

1,208 posts, read 360,943 times
Isn't this social media? I have never been on facebook or twitter.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:48 AM

48 posts, read 9,395 times
I have a Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Rarely post on any of them, just use it to keep up with news and new projects from actors who I enjoy watching.

If Facebook and Twitter went away I wouldn't be mad. Instagram is the one I use most frequent, but, I don't base my life on social media. Never cared for posting selfies, find it a bit annoying. Nobody cares what I had for lunch, what my cat looks like etc.

I also use my phone for texting mainly! Don't like speaking on the phone. Email gets checked once every few days. I suppose I am not a very social person.

Last edited by FierceKaia; 11-04-2018 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: added pertinent information!

Old 11-06-2018, 04:04 PM

9,963 posts, read 6,159,962 times
I don't use facebook, instagram, or twitter.

I find social media to be for shallow people who want compliments.

Me on the other hand, I could care less about that. The only people I care about are my friends, family, and wife.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 6,159,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
But you're going to miss events & updates. My family reunion.. Without being on FB, if you were in my family, you would have no idea about it.

It's just so hard staying out of the loop in my opinion. It's like living in Antartica.
Sounds like a nice life to live

Old 11-06-2018, 04:31 PM

5,494 posts, read 2,318,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
All y'all talking down about people on social media... but using city-dta to do it which is a lot like social media.

Social media is really what you make of it. I've been lucky. I've found jobs through Facebook. I believe I have found my next place to live through it and met a lot of great people through it not to mention reconnected with old friends.

If you don't want a presence on social media, that's fine for you. I'll just keep connecting with folks through Facebook in the meantime.

This. I have managed to connect with so many people from my past who would have otherwise gone spiraling off into oblivion, never to be seen or heard from again.

There's a fine line between saying, "Oh, I don't really get into that" and saying, "I don't do social media because I am above all that." One is a statement of fact while the other is an expression of smugness.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:06 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,649,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I don't use Facebook/Twitter/Snapchat etc... I only use Instagram, because I quite like it, but not to post selfies.

I'm 28. I don't have time for social media at all.

Instagram is a social networking app and city data is a social media platform :rolleyes
https://www.webwise.ie/parents/expla...app-instagram/

By stating you donít do selfies you perpetuate the stereotype that thatís all instagram is.

I use twitter to adot status reports while traveling and any local emergencies in real time. These platforms are as good or as bad as the people using them.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:52 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,046,679 times
I've thought about deleting my facebook. Haven't really decided yet. I prefer actual person to person interaction. It's nice being able to stay in touch with current local events in the area. I was even thinking maybe deleting it and setting up another FB account just for that but use an anonymous name so people that know me can't find me on FB. So, I won't be clueless what is going on in the community.

C-D is "social media" in a way but the difference is on FB, you don't really have conversations on a range of topics unless you're in a FB group. And C-D is anonymous.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 PM

7,281 posts, read 6,607,347 times
CD forum and a couple of gardening forums are the full extent of online social media for me. I don't have accounts with any other kind of social media. I do all my other socializing on a face to face basis or else by talking on the telephone to people that I know personally.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships