Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:18 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times

Advertisements

I use the big 3 social media websites (twitter, linkedin, facebook) in small doses. I try not to take the crap that is posted on it too personally. I also do not log into any of the accounts that often, so that helps me keep my own distance from any of them when I like prefer to just "lurk."

Of the 3, I use twitter the least of the 3 as I do not have a smartphone to access social media 24/7. Basically use it for what you want and ignore the garbage. When you think of it that way, it makes most of it more palatable. I use message boards more often overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,760 times
All of you holier than thou people think that not having it makes you any better. I had a facebook account long before everyone an their grandmothers had one. I'm not deleting my account any time soon. I have a life and I like to share pictures and keep in touch with people through social media. I use email usually for work or miselaneous things but I don't like using it to keep in touch. I call people and skype with my family that is far away. I don't see the harm in having an account and not having one does not make you any better than those that do. In fact creating a whole thread about it is rather silly. JMHO

Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I find it amazing that I have a FB account, enjoy it and still have a well balanced work and social life.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
All of you holier than thou people think that not having it makes you any better. I had a facebook account long before everyone an their grandmothers had one. I'm not deleting my account any time soon. I have a life and I like to share pictures and keep in touch with people through social media. I use email usually for work or miselaneous things but I don't like using it to keep in touch. I call people and skype with my family that is far away. I don't see the harm in having an account and not having one does not make you any better than those that do. In fact creating a whole thread about it is rather silly. JMHO
Um . . . no one said that we are "holier than thou". I certainly don't consider myself "any better" than anyone else. I just don't get all defensive over something that I choose to do.

If you have a FB account - or anything else - good for you.

You may think creating a thread is silly while I think the kind of posts some people put on FB are silly and a waste of time.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM

436 posts, read 670,494 times
I find this annoying too.

My understanding is that it is easy and free for a restaurant to show menu updates on Facebook as opposed to
often having to pay someone to update their website. I think sometimes they overlook the option which allows non-members access to their page.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Does the City-Data forum not count as social media?

I don't FB, tweet, tumble, pin, or anything else. But I do check/read and participate in a few forums (like this one).

I recently spoke with our family doctor regarding FB and the like. He said he didn't allow his kids to use those services. His feeling was that when adults can learn to use them properly, then he'll let his kids use them.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
...I don't see the harm in having an account and not having one does not make you any better than those that do. In fact creating a whole thread about it is rather silly. JMHO
Is it silly? Or is participating on a forum, or thread such as this one, a great way to encourage people to discuss their opinions on various topics, to get an idea about how other people think, feel, and consider the random facets of life? Because isn't that what you just did? I don't think you're silly - do you think you're silly? Maybe we're all silly. I dunno.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I have a FB account. I had it for a month or so, then "deleted" it. Then went back on to find someone, but couldn't. I get so much garbage on FB and it is such a huge waste of time. There is someone there that keeps putting up posters with pictures of ugly dogs doing stupid stuff or with sayings about loving her husband. Okay, we get the idea. It's almost as if she's trying to convince everyone so that she can believe it herself.

I also have my membership here. That's it. If I'm not here, I'm looking for work or doing something away from the computer.
Why not just filter her posts, so you don't see them?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:15 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I do not, nor have I ever had a Facebook, twitter, or MySpace acct. C-D and to a lesser extent, Sherdog.com, are the two places that I interact socially on the interwebs.

If I was a single man, perhaps I'd have a Facebook account. Who am I trying to fool? I stopped digging the player lifestyle long ago! There are a few women from my past who could possibly pique my curiosity if they found me on Facebook. I rather not invite the trouble.
How could they do that? You don't have to accept a friend request from someone you don't want to. I'm single and use it to keep in touch with relatives and the new babies in their families, etc. And have found a lot of old friends (acquaintances) from High School...it is interesting to see what some are up to now. I rarely post but it is a good way to keep up with friends, relatives, news of marriages, deaths, etc. I find I spend less time on Facebook now than when I first signed up. I do find it interesting that some who have never been on Facebook think they know all about how it works.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 PM

36 posts, read 52,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
um . . . No one said that we are "holier than thou". I certainly don't consider myself "any better" than anyone else. I just don't get all defensive over something that i choose to do.

If you have a fb account - or anything else - good for you.

You may think creating a thread is silly while i think the kind of posts some people put on fb are silly and a waste of time.
+ 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships