Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 PM

25 posts, read 32,749 times

Advertisements

I dont think whether or not to use social media is what we should all be wondering/questioning.
it's how to find the balance.

I youtube, but everything else (twitter, facebook, myspace, etc.) NOPE!
I've surprised many people with this and I only call/email people.
But that's not what MOST people do. They like to keep up with "aquaintances" (HA! NOT friends as the list is named), post photos, and read the "news".

My sister was crazy with Facebook for years, but she found her balance. Sure she'll add you. and yes, she's active (1 hour a day). BUT what people don't know is that she does a "Clean-Up" every two months or so.
She deletes "friends" that she hasnt talked to in a month. She blocks ALL her relatives and coworkers from certain photo albums (partying pics). And she blocks people she cant stand. And the totally clueless thought there was a glitch and do friend requests again. please... My sis cuts people 30 to 50 at a time. But that's normal. Who stays in touch with more than 300 people in their lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
I did set up a facebook account years ago. Not for me. I guess I'm not that social. I have never used twitter. I wouldn't know how to get there or what to do.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
I have FB and use it only for people I actually know. I also limit the incoming fluff.

It should be used to augment real life - it should never be used to replace it!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 AM

46 posts, read 124,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I'm starting to consider forums social media just because I'm being social on here and I'm also experience the same mental fatigue I get when visiting Fb, etc. In fact, I'm more social on here than I am on fb just because there's questions to answer whereas fb is....people trying to be relevant. Not saying that doesn't happen here, I just learn more here than I do on fb.

This isn't social media. Online forums have been around since at least the 90s and have never been referred to as social media. That started with the myspace era.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM

46 posts, read 124,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveIt View Post
I dont think whether or not to use social media is what we should all be wondering/questioning.
it's how to find the balance.

I youtube, but everything else (twitter, facebook, myspace, etc.) NOPE!
I've surprised many people with this and I only call/email people.
But that's not what MOST people do. They like to keep up with "aquaintances" (HA! NOT friends as the list is named), post photos, and read the "news".

My sister was crazy with Facebook for years, but she found her balance. Sure she'll add you. and yes, she's active (1 hour a day). BUT what people don't know is that she does a "Clean-Up" every two months or so.
She deletes "friends" that she hasnt talked to in a month. She blocks ALL her relatives and coworkers from certain photo albums (partying pics). And she blocks people she cant stand. And the totally clueless thought there was a glitch and do friend requests again. please... My sis cuts people 30 to 50 at a time. But that's normal. Who stays in touch with more than 300 people in their lives?
Wow. blocking, deleting, adding. Sounds like a lot of work. Good for your sister finding a way to keep busy.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:54 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
I only use FB. Not into twitter and all that other stuff...

Old 03-12-2013, 11:56 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniMove View Post
This isn't social media. Online forums have been around since at least the 90s and have never been referred to as social media. That started with the myspace era.
Contrary to your belief, online forums are social media. Especially CD.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Contrary to your belief, online forums are social media. Especially CD.
Yeah, CD is the definition of social media.

"Interactive forms of media that allow users to interact with and publish to each other, generally by means of the Internet"

Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I had FB, closed it down when I started finding it full of song lyrics and an absolutely useless waste of time. I do enjoy LinkedIn. About five minutes a week. I have been added to several Google+ circles and everyone seems to end up just using ordinary email.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
I don't use any social network (except CD of course )
I don't trust facebook, never did, never will. I don't really need to tweet about my life. I'm not crafty or anything, so pinterest wouldn't be that useful... etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships