U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 AM

264 posts, read 618,867 times

Advertisements

I stop using FB last year at one of my 2012 NY resolutions. Part of it because I couldn't stand the drama all over FB from "friends". People posted some stupid things about relationship and they got on my nerve, especially this "FB ruins your relationship" I rather keep my small circle of friends on my phone than read people's biography on FB. Twitter is for those who constantly needs attention, e.g. "I'm still in the bathroom #foodpoison #ishouldhavelisten2myfriends #team^%$%"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 AM

43,475 posts, read 52,497,423 times
I don't even know how to use twitter.

I do have a facebook.

I wasn't aware LinkedIn was social media, but I don't use that.

This is kind of a social site, isn't it?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 AM

43,475 posts, read 52,497,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
. I didnt like the format either. I sort of prefer this "forum" format. More can be said and its more of a "convesation" vs FB and blogging, which seem to be 'I talk you listen'. More self-centered.
I don't know about your facebook friends, but there are conversations JUST LIKE THESE going on my facebook. Discussions about anything from cooking to philosophy to politics.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 AM

40,181 posts, read 15,142,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Am I the last person in America without a Facebook account? Who doesn't follow anyone on Twitter?

I have a LinkedIn account and was active in it for a while, but there's little to gain from it, since I work totally behind the scenes in my job, in a very specialized area. I have no desire to reconnect from people I went to high school with, nor any of my exes. I'm pretty shy as well, and most social situations tire me out.

That's me. Anybody else?
I'm not shy at all, but I have no interest in Facebook, Twitter or any of those other social media things - except for City-Data, if that counts. I also don't text friends and family except on a rare occasion when I need to get important information to them. Otherwise, my cell phone is turned off and used only for emergencies. I've seen a few friends' Facebook pages (or walls, or whatever the heck they're called), and still have no interest in them.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,366,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
Id love a link to that work if you have it.

@@@

Also, it might be more interesting to discuss what makes "foruming" different from FB? Or why some of us prefer the forum format to FB?
User grouping behavior in online forums

Old 03-13-2013, 01:36 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,743,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Contrary to your belief, online forums are social media. Especially CD.
Not as intrusive though. And FB has some dubious practices.

Facebook Is Tracking Your Every Move on the Web; Here's How to Stop It

facial recognotion software and sending info directly to Politico.com

The origins of FB and its agenda are not good.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Not as intrusive though. And FB has some dubious practices.

Facebook Is Tracking Your Every Move on the Web; Here's How to Stop It

facial recognotion software and sending info directly to Politico.com

The origins of FB and its agenda are not good.
The meme is pretty accurate. Facebook took a page out of Google's book.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 PM

10,600 posts, read 13,106,255 times
I felt like I was in a small group who was not facebooking or twittering.

This thread has changed that, Lots more people without the above tben I imagined. I joined this site in 2006 and don't recall fb being as big. MySpace was the big one if memory serves my correct.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:05 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,974,670 times
Social networking? Heck, you might as well scan and photograph everything about yourself, drivers license, social security card, credit cards, wife/gf photos, go to godaddy.com and start your own dot com and let everyone in the whole world know your every move. Whatever happened to guarding your own privacy?
Unless you wanted to become a celebrity in your own mind.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Social networking? Heck, you might as well scan and photograph everything about yourself, drivers license, social security card, credit cards, wife/gf photos, go to godaddy.com and start your own dot com and let everyone in the whole world know your every move. Whatever happened to guarding your own privacy?
Unless you wanted to become a celebrity in your own mind.
Most social networking is done anonymously and does not utilize drivers licenses, social security cards or credit cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships