Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,542,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Am I the last person in America without a Facebook account? Who doesn't follow anyone on Twitter?

I have a LinkedIn account and was active in it for a while, but there's little to gain from it, since I work totally behind the scenes in my job, in a very specialized area. I have no desire to reconnect from people I went to high school with, nor any of my exes. I'm pretty shy as well, and most social situations tire me out.

That's me. Anybody else?
I'm not on any of those, and have no desire to be.
My brother is attempting to get a Facebook acct for his business. He told me that it's very user unfriendly, and that he can't understand how they made a fortune off such a system. He hates it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,542,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Yet, you're here. Cop all the excuses of how it's different from other social media if you like, but it's still a social site and you're here.
it is different, because it's about the topic, not your personal life. This is opinion and commentary about what's going on in the world. Forums are completely different imo.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 26,627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I don't understand why people are so comfortable having their profile out there for anyone to track. If I knew you 10 years ago and don't know you now, there's a reason.
So true!!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM

867 posts, read 1,584,834 times
I don't. No FB or twitter or anything else.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Actaully, CD is more informationally then social because the intention of the majority of people here is exchanging information/views rather than waste each other's time needless chit chat about their personal lives that most of us can care less
The point is that it's social media.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,991,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I don't understand why people are so comfortable having their profile out there for anyone to track. If I knew you 10 years ago and don't know you now, there's a reason.
I figured I didn't remain in touch with these people because I blocked them out. But I realize I've just grown up and we've changed. It's nothing personal now. I got back fb and learned this so no regrets. It didn't make me any closer to them. I just have the opportunity to hit the like button from time to time.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
it is different, because it's about the topic, not your personal life. This is opinion and commentary about what's going on in the world. Forums are completely different imo.
It's true that each social media site is more or less different than another social media site.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxman28 View Post
kudo. same here, just a fake popularity contest and dating site.

no one talks for real any more- face to face.

this anti - social behavior is destroying our society
citation?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 PM

466 posts, read 814,294 times
I'm on Facebook, and I do like it for staying in contact with people, but I think it's gotten drastically cluttered in the past couple of years with all the memes, inspiration messages, political stuff, sponsored ads, etc. It's much harder to sort through it now.

I also have accounts with LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram, but I'm much less active on those. However, I'm in a field (journalism/publishing) where everyone is increasingly expected to be able to use and navigate social media like second nature. So many people are turning themselves into "brands." I'm not on the level at all, but I do feel I have to have my fingers in all the social media pies to appear relevant and with-it in my industry. I would be just fine to have Facebook on a personal level, though.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM

30,223 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyyy View Post
But we're anoymous. I'm not putting my real self out there though. People don't know who I am.
You don't have to on FB or Twitter, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships