Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 11:06 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,139,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I've thought about deleting my facebook. Haven't really decided yet. I prefer actual person to person interaction. It's nice being able to stay in touch with current local events in the area. I was even thinking maybe deleting it and setting up another FB account just for that but use an anonymous name so people that know me can't find me on FB. So, I won't be clueless what is going on in the community.

C-D is "social media" in a way but the difference is on FB, you don't really have conversations on a range of topics unless you're in a FB group. And C-D is anonymous.
Well as you say you can be anonymous on fb too and join pages with a range of topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 05:14 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,324,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Well as you say you can be anonymous on fb too and join pages with a range of topics
true.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
I have a fb account but I used it once. Was out of town in this hotel where my cell reception sucked everywhere but the park8ng lot but had great WiFi and I could talk to my wife.
havent used it since. Don’t plan on it either. I still get emails. Lots of friend requests from people I don’t know. Could care less

Old 11-08-2018, 03:52 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,654,191 times
I don’t have FB, nor Twitter, nor LinkedIn account. Franklin I don’t know how to do Twitter, at least I know how to do FB and LinkedIn. Dinosaur, I know.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 AM

10,999 posts, read 6,527,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I often wonder if people's lives are so great without using social media, then why do they get so worked up about other people using it?
I don't believe it's that anyone's life is so great, it is the legitimate concern that social media is replacing live social interactions, and people are losing social skills. Not to mention their lives; taking selfies.

It's a sea-change in society in general and deserves some concern. Much has been written about it.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:06 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,529,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Am I the last person in America without a Facebook account? Who doesn't follow anyone on Twitter?

I have a LinkedIn account and was active in it for a while, but there's little to gain from it, since I work totally behind the scenes in my job, in a very specialized area. I have no desire to reconnect from people I went to high school with, nor any of my exes. I'm pretty shy as well, and most social situations tire me out.

That's me. Anybody else?
Unless C-D and Flickr are considered as social media, I do not use it at all. Actually, I did exchange some messages on a website for former members of my military unit, but that's as close to it as I've come. If I want to communicate with anyone, I use the good, old-fashioned method of sending E-Mail.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:20 AM

6,277 posts, read 4,139,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Unless C-D and Flickr are considered as social media, I do not use it at all. Actually, I did exchange some messages on a website for former members of my military unit, but that's as close to it as I've come. If I want to communicate with anyone, I use the good, old-fashioned method of sending E-Mail.

City data is a social media platform,

Old 11-12-2018, 04:11 PM

11 posts, read 6,056 times
No Facebook, no twitter, no nothing. I love it. As soon as my contact is up I'm ditching the smart phone for a flip phone. The more I leave my phone behind the happier I've felt.

Just my own personal experiences. I definitely don't begrudge anyone who has to have their phone with them.

Im going through a divorce after 20 years of marriage so I'm about to enter the dating game after a very very long absence. How should I handle the social media/smart phone thing? I really hate when people sit together and one person is on their phone while the other person just kinda sits there doing nothing. To me its kinda rude. Im only 45 but damn, i feel so old and old fashioned! I would really appreciate any suggestions people have.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:17 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,287,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't believe it's that anyone's life is so great, it is the legitimate concern that social media is replacing live social interactions, it.
If it weren't for social media, I would not be able to see many of my relatives who have lived far away for years. I can't afford to buy plane tickets all the time to see them. Social media allows me to stay connected with him. If you have a problem with that, then tough. I really don't care.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,777,931 times
I use no social media. I tried Facebook years ago and found nothing appealing about it. Plus those things are set up to be addictive. Dopamine, my friends, they play on your dopamine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships